Sign in to follow this  
RCITGuy

REX or is something else better?

Hiya folks...

I'm looking at buying REX essentials for my FSX, but reading around here it seems there are other similar apps?

Just yesterday I stumbled upon Active Sky 2012, so I wanted to drop in and ask, what's the best one to get, or is there a third one or more?

I currently have GEX Europe installed..

Thanks chaps :-)

As i've said before i have REX essential.Nothing wrong with As2012 very good support from Jim Skorna ,he's everywhere helping people not just with AS2012 problems.

Rex team are excellent also and are just about to upgrade REX essential with a new Sp1 adding a lot of functions too it.also a 9gb texture pack is on it's way and it's free :smile:

you can't go wrong with either really.

steve-0

I've got REX E (and had the previous version before it) and the textures are wonderful. Right now, however, the REX E wx engine is, um... a work in progress. Mine worked well initially, but I started having issues a few weeks into using it and have continued to see problems since, despite the usual litany of re-installs, database clean-ups and settings mods. A service pack has been promised "real soon now" which the developers say will fix most issues and add a host of new features, so if you're looking mostly for a good real-world wx engine I'd wait on REX and see what happens post SP. I still use, enjoy and recommend the textures, but have put the wx engine on hold.

You'll also see that many use AS as the wx engine with REX textures. Haven't tried that so I can't speak directly, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck,

Scott

I use AS2012 all the way. Superior weather engine and superb graphics. Many people like REX graphics and if that's your preference, AS2012 will use them. I'd suggest getting AS2012 and if, down the road, you want to try REX graphics - go for it - but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the realism and beauty of AS2012 graphics.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

oh, so REX and AS2012 are not exactly the same sort of product then?

AS2012 is more of a weather app, and REX is more graphics enhancement, is that right?

Sorry for the confusion or if thats a stupid question, I guess the newbie excitement of how awesome this stuff is generates that "OMG, what else can it do" way of thinking

If you can, get both. Use AS for Weather and REX for textures. I am sure a lot of people will agree with me on that. Besides, Everyone I know uses this kind of setup.

Rex imo, has the better textures, but it's in the eye of the beholder. I tried AS's textures and REX's textures and REX does a much better job.

There should be REX, FEX, AS2012 and a lot of freeware. I'd say they all make sense whereas the payware comes with neat tools and things. Popular freeware comes from Pablo Diaz.

Good free stuff for the water is this. http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml This can even be combined with payware.

AS2012 is more of a weather app, and REX is more graphics enhancement, is that right?

Sorry for the confusion or if thats a stupid question, I guess the newbie excitement of how awesome this stuff is generates that "OMG, what else can it do" way of thinking

To clarify: both AS2012 and REX provide both textures and weather. ActiveSky has been around longer and their weather engine works well. REX has stumbled a bit on their weather engine, even with the current version, REX Essentials. Hopefully, the soon to be released Service Pack will help. REX textures have always been fantastic.

Hope that's helpful.

Randall

My only gripe with REXE is the fact that the pressure setting at my destination always seems the same as my departure regardless of the length of flight. While this is probably true for airports less than 100 miles apart under the same weather pattern this shouldn't happen if I took off from say the east coast U.S. when it was dry and sunny and landed in Europe when it's grey and rainy.

But having said that, it's not enough of a problem for me to want to run out and into the arms of another developer waving cash in hand.

I use REXE for everything and am happy with it, I also know it's going to be fixed so I'm not super worried about it anyway.

Thanks Guys, this totally clarifies what they are, not too fussed about weather for the foreseeable future, but really like the look of REX...

I assume I can simply install AS2012 later and use that just for weather once my piloting skills improve?

I use FEX (mentioned briefly above). That's a payware texture package, like REX. Personally I think the FEX clouds are better than REX, but that's a personal thing. And you can mix and match these products e.g. use REX for water, FEX for sky, and ASE for weather.

+1 for FSWC too.

Both products have dedicated websites that explain ALL the features of their product, plus include screen shots and other info. You should visit each website so that you will have a 100% clear understanding of what each product offers. You'll get a lot more info that what has been posted here so far.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim...

I know, I did check, not a complete idiot....

Both websites indicate similar things, but we all know that what something says it can do and what it actually does are not always the same, and "Face value" often has a lot hiding behind it..

Hence wanting to know what other products were actually out there similar to REX-E, and knowing what peoples thoughts and opinions on them are is important...

To an FSX newbie, what the 2 websites say doesn't match what FSX'rs are saying here, its hard to figure out when people are saying they use 1 app for this and the other app for that too...

But, thanks for pointing out the obvious mate, always appreciated :rolleyes:

Yes, you can install AS2012 at a later time. If you like the weather that REXE generates, you won't need to get it at all. It's really up to you. I use AS2012 for textures (water, sky, clouds, runways) and weather, so while REX is installed, it's not used at the moment. But it's a simple case of starting it up, selecting and loading some textures if I want to. I think GEX only does ground textures, but I've only had it a couple of days so not really up to speed with it, other than installing it and running it to get better ground textures.

Don't know if that helps, or just muddies the waters further!

Mike