Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

Request - A DX9 vs DX10 direct comparison review

On the other hand if, like me, with only a basic i7 @ 2.65 and an old nVidia GTX 285 then going to DX10 has made an big difference, mainly in frame rates.

+1 My main PC is just a little newer than yours I guess but it has made a nice difference.

Finer detail, better water but the main reason for me staying with DX10 is I can lock the FPS at 30 and fly anywhere maxxed out without stuttering (apart from some 3rd party international airports scenery). My GPU is also much cooler running in DX10 mode than it was in DX9.

Adam

Same here, Adam. In think it is probably easier to see the impact of a single parameter change when running with mid-range hardware, but not so with high-end. Whether running a basic fsx.cfg or loaded for bear - it seems the only change I see is how heavy a load it can take.

@Frank - I would dearly love to have a trio of projectors, but it would mean squeezing an MD-80 nose into the basement! I very much like the TH2Go system, but would like taller monitors - I guess 1600 x 1200 would work. Three monitors push a single port, though - even each at 1240 x 1024. Do you not miss the wide viewing area of the triple setup?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Unfortunately the video did not show any of the cockpits. The sun and the shadows inside the cockpit/cabin is the major difference. You cannot get that with DX9.

Best regards,

Jim

Exactly, here is a vid. I made to test DX10, you can see cockpit shadows, don't mind the outside camera as I was paning a lot, also look at the car traffic, try that in DX9...lol.

That video is awesome Alain! That's as close to reality as you can get! It looked like you have bloom turned on. That looked great over the water. So far that has not worked well with me as it is a little overwhelming. Thanks for posting this major difference between DX9/DX10.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I dont see that much difference either, having read through 400 threads and tried different settings. Specially with AA/IQ image quality set how I have to have it. DX10 Windowed mode seems to have been worse for me than DX9 with high AA settings. With lower end systems running in widowed mode and lower AA settings I could understand a performance improvement.

Specially with AA/IQ set how I have to have it. DX10 Windowed mode seems to have been worse for me than DX9 with high AA settings.

I always thought DX10 worked best in full screen mode and that's what DX10 and DX11 video cards were made to handle. AA in FSX has always been horrible but Steve's fix has smoothed out the jagged edges well (IMHO). In Alain's video above it is difficult to see any jagged edges. In some of my flights, I see some jagged edges from the shadows in the cockpit caused by the sun but see absolutely no issues on the panels or edges of the aircraft wings or frame. Runways look great too. It's still not perfect but getting better even though FSX has not been updated since 2007.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That video is awesome Alain! That's as close to reality as you can get! It looked like you have bloom turned on. That looked great over the water. So far that has not worked well with me as it is a little overwhelming. Thanks for posting this major difference between DX9/DX10.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeap! bloom enable and all the other eye candy.

Also, Jim, you can zip into the General folder, and open up the general10.fxh....

From Steve's Blog - http://stevesfsxanal...0-bloom-tuning/

It's possible to adjust the bloom effect by editing the last few lines in general10.fxh and then recompiling the DX10 shaders.

The lines in question are

#else

static const float fHdrSpecularScale = 1.11;

static const float fHdrEmissiveScale = 6.0;

static const float fHdrCopyScale = 4.25;

static const float fHdrModAlphaScale = 3.92;

#endif

fHdrSpecularScale is the one that changes how much metallic objects shine.

Make the static const float fHdrSpecularScale = "1.11" into a "0.0;" (no quotes) There will still be bloom, though not as pronounced.

pj

Great movie, Alain. Can I ask how you made it?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks, Alain: I so have to make one. It's embarrassing...

Alain

That's not a very good video - it's incredible, outstanding, awesome and armwavingly good. Well done.

I could learn a lot from you. Pity you don't live next door.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

PaulJ

I never had triple projectors. My English is not what it was. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Anyway, I am more critical of projectors than other viewing methods. I had just one (a top spec in its day). I had to use windowed mode, to undock and slide. My wall screen was 4' x 3' (this was before widescreens). Low resolution and needing to be in a darkened room were my main dislikes.

No - I do not miss triple surround. I could never get to like the intruding bezels (even with adjustment), and right and left screen distortions bothered me too. The best combo uses 4:3 ratio monitors, but they are becoming hard to get. 3 x portrait didn't do it for me, but it's a way to get taller overall screening. A multi screen wall might be a way, but how much space would that take up? I hope some day a wide single monitor will be perfected, but those available to date are very expensive and have very low resolutions.

The great feature of the Dell 30" is its ratio 16:10 and its resolution 2650 x 1600. Link that with TrackIR and you have perfection -IMHO. The downside is that the Dell cost me £1,000.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Also, Jim, you can zip into the General folder, and open up the general10.fxh....

From Steve's Blog - http://stevesfsxanal...0-bloom-tuning/

[/font][/size][/font][/color]

Make the static const float fHdrSpecularScale = "1.11" into a "0.0;" (no quotes) There will still be bloom, though not as pronounced.

pj

0.0 would be no secular bloom! If you find the default value too high try 0.8

I took this from your pics, Steve - there is still minor bloom around the right strut, and there is still some amount of "bloom" on my 172 - I even went to a negative number - which did alter the shadow on the strut, but wasn't what I was looking for. Yeeeeees - I deleted the Shaders10 cache folder..... :rolleyes: It seems not to change very much, but is still very evident on the various surfaces.. My current settings:

#else

static const float fHdrSpecularScale = 0.0;

#endif

I would dearly love to see cloud bloom heightened, but I expect that is not feasible.

Night strobe/airfield lighting anomalies appear to be one of the last remaining stumbling blocks, perhaps with vsync in a small way, though it doesn't drive people off in the way that the other defects did.

All the best,

pj

I took this from your pics, Steve - there is still minor bloom around the right strut, and there is still some amount of "bloom" on my 172 - I even went to a negative number - which did alter the shadow on the strut, but wasn't what I was looking for. Yeeeeees - I deleted the Shaders10 cache folder..... :rolleyes: It seems not to change very much, but is still very evident on the various surfaces.. My current settings:

#else

static const float fHdrSpecularScale = 0.0;

#endif

I would dearly love to see cloud bloom heightened, but I expect that is not feasible.

Night strobe/airfield lighting anomalies appear to be one of the last remaining stumbling blocks, perhaps with vsync in a small way, though it doesn't drive people off in the way that the other defects did.

All the best,

pj

Hey guys I must have missed the boat on these new development of dx10, Im going to dl some of Steves fixes from the library, is there anything else I should know, I use a tweaked fsx cfg file with pools 0, I also use REX clouds, Shade and mainly fly the ngx, any conflicts or tips? Also I use nvdia inspector, can I still use it? any settings I should now about in inspector or fsx settings. Want to give this another try.