Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Tapatalk, who cares?

I bet you, like me, remember when we had to wait till we got home to make a call. There were no answer machines. If you did have a mobile phone it was the size of a house brick! Now you see people walking into lamp posts because they're staring at their smartypants phones.

*parp*

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Its a method for the app developer to basically get free marketing for their app. As an app developer I can understand that - the explosion in the app marketplaces of the world is making it increasingly hard to gain even simple awareness for their products from a handful of people. I was tempted right there to name and cite mine as an example since it's an invaluable tool for FS pilots everywhere, but I'll resist ;)

The signature can be edited, and it can be turned off, but a limitation of the app is that you can't currently set up different signatures per forum you use, so most people just leave it as is.

Also, I don't think the purpose is to rub in smarty pants devices to make those without groan in dismay. I'm typing this for example on a real keyboard docked to my Android tablet using Tapatalk because when my monster FSX is rig is busy flying somewhere I really don't want to break the immersion and fire up a browser to check out a forum post. Much easier to grab a device that instantly turns on, with a dedicated app that strips away all the ads that infest forums these days and let's me get to the heart of the matter quickly.

Its a method for the app developer to basically get free marketing for their app. As an app developer I can understand that - the explosion in the app marketplaces of the world is making it increasingly hard to gain even simple awareness for their products from a handful of people. I was tempted right there to name and cite mine as an example since it's an invaluable tool for FS pilots everywhere, but I'll resist ;)

The signature can be edited, and it can be turned off, but a limitation of the app is that you can't currently set up different signatures per forum you use, so most people just leave it as is.

Also, I don't think the purpose is to rub in smarty pants devices to make those without groan in dismay. I'm typing this for example on a real keyboard docked to my Android tablet using Tapatalk because when my monster FSX is rig is busy flying somewhere I really don't want to break the immersion and fire up a browser to check out a forum post. Much easier to grab a device that instantly turns on, with a dedicated app that strips away all the ads that infest forums these days and let's me get to the heart of the matter quickly.

Interesting post.

Paragraph 1: The marketing thing is a 'given'

Paragraph 2: The edit and turn off options don't surprise me one bit. That's as it should be but I wonder how easy they are to get at though.

Paragraph 4: We've already concluded that 'marketing' is the reason for it and personally I don't groan with dismay because I don't have a smarty pants phone. I groan because it looks so poseur-ish, if one knows how to turn it off but doesn't, that is.

Much easier to grab a device that instantly turns on, with a dedicated app that strips away all the ads that infest forums these days and let's me get to the heart of the matter quickly.

Very understandable, time is so short.

On a serious note, I have investigated smart phones etc. and I think they are very cool, not to say alluring. But for the life of me I can't think of a good reason to have one.

*parp*

I have to say as well that with the right choice of hardware, a decent tablet is actually heck of a lot more convenient than even a lightweight notebook, and again that lends Tapatalk and friends some weight. For example, I write for a certain magazine that everyone on here adores (don't you!!!), and have a hi-rez Android tablet that comes with a detachable keyboard dock. So, I have a device that doesn't get hot, and that runs on battery for about 15 hours without needing to charge. For writing, that's a simply awesome combination, and combined with Tapatalk it means that I now actually never log on any of my favored forums with a PC. The browser route is just too slow and distracting.

So, while I can certainly see the how the standard Tapatalk signatures can get annoying (I used to hate getting the "sent from my iPhone" emails from people and turned that 'feature' off quick smart on my own) as a die hard Tapatalk convertee and fan it doesn't bother me at all now. I understand where they are coming from.

Not really trying to make any point, just wanted to add to the conversation.

See froog, you make a very good case for new fangled doohickies. You obviously have a legitimate use for them. I reckon that most people have them because they're nice new toys. Surely not everyone is so busy as to be consulting these things as they walk along the street?! But that's a whole different whinge. :rolleyes:

I happen to spend my days on the road making various deliveries and service calls to earn my weekly loaf of bread. Having a smart phone has become very much an indispensible tool for me, on many different levels. One app or tool I use quite a bit, while enjoying a break or lunch (not while driving, thank you), is Tapatalk. The forums I visit that have Tapalk available (such as this one) are now very easy to read while enjoying a break from the daily grind. And I really appreciate that.

As for the advert/sig line, that is quite easy to change or simply edit out. Such as I have done below...

As for the advert/sig line, that is quite easy to change or simply edit out. Such as I have done below...

..... but you still have your advert/sig line set up as an ftx supporter with an even bigger logo! What's the difference? :Shocked: Are well talking double standards here?

(And I ask in a kind and courteous way)

But the Tapatalk sig line is gone. ;)

I happen to be an FTX/Orbx supporter and am proud of it. Thus the image sig stays.

Top man! :)

..... but you still have your advert/sig line set up as an ftx supporter with an even bigger logo! What's the difference? :Shocked: Are well talking double standards here?

(And I ask in a kind and courteous way)

The huge difference here is that I/we can choose to ignore 'signatures' but the Tapatalk thing is part of the post.

It has just occurred to me that this thread is doing Tapatalk's advertising strategy no harm whatsoever! :lol:

The huge difference here is that I/we can choose to ignore 'signatures' but the Tapatalk thing is part of the post.

Well, the Tapatalk line is just one line of text at the bottom of the post, and it doesn't make nearly as much noice as those stupid supporter pics. Still, I'm gonna be diplomatic here and say that I hate both equally much.

By the way Ron, have you been boycotting your own teamspeak server lately? :wink:

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I never really noticed it till now Ron. But that could be because I dont know what taptalk is , have never sent or received a "text " message and do not own a fondle slab. I have had the same samsung wireless phone for the last 5 years...... it makes calls and rings when someone calls me and that is all this old fart needs it to do.

Same here. My computers plug into the wall, and I'm proud to have a cheap dumb phone. No self-respecting thug would mug me for my shoes, either.

Sent by just thinking about it from my TrueWireless Cranial Implant.

I reckon:-

- The develops add the 'tapatalk' type signature lines for the usual well documented, intrusive and subversive advertising that now floods our very existance.

- The material show-offs out there, are quite happy to keep the annoying signatures in place, because they want to show that they are 'current' and using the latest kit.

Personally, I hate them, and yes I use a smartphone, and occasionally use tapatalk (it's overrated and I often just view forums on the Chrome App instead).....and I removed my arsey 'sent from my wonga phone using Tapatalk' message the second I figured out how to.

We're just a world of show-offs these days, that's all it comes down to in my honest view.

...By the way Ron, have you been boycotting your own teamspeak server lately? :wink:

Not really. I've been the victim of a particularly vicious 'man flu'. I won't trouble you with the symptoms, except to say they are HORRENDOUS!

Do these things determine your position and then report that back automatically? I could imagine some embarrasing situations.....

"Hi, Honey. Don't wait up for me. We've got an 8 AM deadline tomorrow and I'm stuck here late.

Sent by Blackberry from the Happy Endings Lounge, Reno, NV @19:32:30"

If I receive an email or message from someone, frankly I couldn't care less "how" it was sent. Various logos seen in avsim sigs is ok up to a point because it's directly relevant to our hobby. But messages saying "Sent by Tapatalk", "Sent by my iphone that doesn't know where it is" is all part of the modern trend of increasingly intrusive advertising.