Sign in to follow this  
DAL213

3960X OC to 5.0G, fully loaded PC, Great FPS

I used to be a freak when it came to FS. I even owned my own payware online retailer (one of the first) and sold it in 2004.

I haven’t been around in a long time. But after flying in the cockpit of a private jet (Mex-NYC) a month ago, I realized my passion lies in the cockpit of a plane and not so much in the trading desk of a hedge fund.

So I installed FSX in a lap top which I then hooked up to my 65in Panasonic plasma. It felt great, but as you could imagine, extremely limited performance to say the least.

So I bought a desktop and hooked it up to the same TV but with different results. I will share with you my experience:

Specss:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition Six-Core 3.30 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

MOTHERBOARD: (4-Way SLI Support) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ ROG Connect, UEFI BIOS, BT GO, OC Key, Subzero Sense & 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, USB3.0,

MEMORY: 16GB (2GBx8) DDR3/2000MHz Quad Channel Memory

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)

HDD1 (OS): 120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write

HDD2 (FSX & addons): 120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write

HDD3: 1TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD1000DHTZ

FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool

Performance:

I have never in my life experienced something like this. My 65inch screen with 1080P image and all settings maxed out (literally, maxed out), and Im lined up on JFK 31L with 737-900 @ 70 FPS….. the lowest I’ve seen was on my approach back to LGA 22 flying @ 3000 feet northbound over the Hudson at dusk, I get 50 FPS.

I will report back when I do some other testing or if I need help with something.

Another thing, I have the CPU working @ a speed of up to 4.9G without any sign of stress (i.e. temp remains normal).

I also have the GTX 680 (only one of them). I was going to get 2 crossfire or the 690 but the reviews about the dual GPU were not good. Maybe I will upgrade in the future.

Cost:

a very steep $5,700. But I was considering the top of the line Alienware for a similar price. So looking back, I believe I got a bargain.

Nico

Very nice system! I'll bite, because let's face it, you're going to hear it sooner or later around here. You could have built that system for half the price (please, no one else needs to say this in the thread). If I had the money, I wouldn't build these things, I'd have someone do it for me (my hands are delicate) and then fix aesthetics to my liking. Now that that's out of the way... ^_^ That's not too bad a price, honestly. A very impressive spec list.

Your GTX 680 is the absolute top of the line card for FSX. Your processor... The same is true. All that you need to do now is research what add-ons you want and need! That's it! Head over to the FSX Tips an Tweaks guide. Word Not Allowed's guide at the top of this forum is the best place to start. He put a lot of time and effort into the guide and it shows! Welcome back. First order of business: Buy the PMDG NGX.

http://forum.avsim.n...-guide-for-fsx/

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Holy flying fadoodles.... That is one MONSTER... :lol:

...Now run FSXMark11! :Big Grin:

If I had 10,000 to spend, I'd probably get a 3770K, 2800MHZ RAM, and a GTX680. - I would then get Liquid Nitro cooling an OC the snot out of it.... Then we would be tapping into FSX nirvana lol.... altough, it would probably still be stuttery :lol:

Nice system but we still need a 8GHz cpu.

Stock FSX performance is no longer a concern. Load up umpteen 3rd party add-ons and measure performance again.

True,True B)

$10,000 computer had the cash would it do it like others said. Just midwestern peasant with computer runs fsx at medium settings. Would throw the computer in the feezer if could get 8.0 speed

Nice rig and great results.

How about you load some 3rd party software on that thing (GEX,REX-ess,UTX, UT2, etc.) fire up the NGX at a FlyTampa airport, and pick a megasceneries just for good measure. I would love to see the results as I am on the fence about picking up a GTX680 and liquid cooling for my rig.

Also... Screenshots for that 65" would warm my heart!

Nice to see someone else join the LGA2011 "Darkside".

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You guys were all right! Stock performance is not the same as 3rd party add on perf. With OC to 4.5G (down from 5.0 to keep it stable), running fsx with Rex, pmdg 739, mega sceneryx, aero soft manhattan, fsdt JFK, all settings maxed and 8x AA...... My fps are down to high 20s.... Still acceptable but not the crazy numbers I had at first.

I will update some screenshots soon.

Nico

Nlgravity,

4.5Ghz is a tad conservative for what you are spec'd. Do not be afraid to run this chip up to 4.7-4.8Ghz (I am stable at this clock but noisy due to fans. I run an H100 on my chip and a Corsair case with lots of fans and that is not a problem. If I go liquid-cooled I am going for broke(-en). I think OC'ing in the low 5Ghz range is easily achievable with this hardware combo.

Granted the difference is likely negligible but we did invest in a "big 'ol expensive hunk of silicon" right? Your rig is what most would call the "extreme side" of capable for modern tech... With liquid cooling, a Rampage, and a 3960X.... OOOH BOY! Let that baby run!

Thanks for posting! Great to see some of the high end Intel stuff in action. I'd love to see an FSXmark11 run but I guess it's a hassle as you have to do a fresh FSX install.

Stock FSX performance is no longer a concern. Load up umpteen 3rd party add-ons and measure performance again.

So if I want to bimble around and fly the stock 172 with no add ons, I shouldn't bother waiting for Haswell and just get an IB setup now?

5600x, 6800xt, Samsung Odyssey HMD+