Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

To boldly go...

I think that I can safely say that I am the only person in the entire world who has flown to Seattle in Flight. Not that this is much of a distinction, or that there is anything worth bragging about. :rolleyes:

I started the flight at Annette Island, the southernmost point in the Wilderness Alaska scenery pack - no point starting such a flight in Barrow! :lol: Of course, I used the Cub, because that is the only airplane that I fly anymore. But, this did not last for long...

My plan was to fly in short stages (I only have time for about 20 minutes of flying a day) and land at any strip that I could find. At first, this turned out pretty well. Prince Rupert Airport is present, along with the island and even autogen trees. There are also a whole bunch of antennae that probably represent obstructions. Well, the airport is there, but in truth, it is not there at all. Apart from the grass, there are no runways, taxiways, terminals, hangars, etc. Also, the altitude mesh has seriously degraded in that part of the world. Mountains are just hills. Still, I did land and parked the Cub until the next day's flight.

Next stop: Bella Bella, and surprise! There is airport grass there as well, at both of the Bella Bella airports, along with the land masses and trees. This was starting to look pretty good (but, then, I am an optimist of the worst kind B) or is that the best kind?) and I had high hopes for the rest of the flight.

In the meantime, I had switched to the Maule - the Cub is just too slow for long flights and I needed something faster. I was also pretty much off the Map by now and wondering why I was not brought right back to Annette Island.

After leaving Bella Bella, even the Maule was too slow, so I toggled to the Map and switched to the Mustang. But, then pretty quickly all land masses disappeared! :blink: Yes, no more islands, grass, trees, or airports of any sort. Just water in all directions. Astonishing. Even more surprising, the degraded altitude mesh is still present. so there are hills in the water!

But, I soldiered on to Port Hardy hoping against all hope to be able to land. When I got there, Port Hardy too was in the water. Or rather, there was no Port Hardy, only water. So, I toggled to the Map and switched to the Icon so I could "land". Surprisingly, the VOR object was present, so I put the Icon down right next to it (nice picture.)

The next day, I took off in the Icon, toggled to the Maule, and dialed up the Port Hardy VOR (112 MHz) to see it it was operational. Another surprise - it was! But, this flight plan had quickly become an exercise in futility. Still, never give up! That's my motto.

I switched to the Mustang again and decided to finish my flight plan by flying straight down to Vancouver, my original destination. Of course, nothing there but water, and I didn't even notice any VOR objects. Since I had gone that far, I thought to continue down to Seattle, and finally ended my flight while over Lake Washington somewhere close to Bill Gates' home.

My entire flight took about 10 days in short stages.

Well, at one point I had some fantasy about going down to California, flying across Mexico and the Gulf Coast, down Florida, and over to the Caribbean, home. But, there isn't really much point.

My next fantasy is to find some way to add scenery to Flight, modify the default FS X scenery and/or my projects so they work with Flight, and finally be able to fly where I want. I can already fly what I want because that is the Cub. B)

Best regards.

Luis

Guest Azone

With the help of Gmap I landed at the Vancouver International airport last week...or at least the brown abyss that would be the Vancouver international airport.

Fly out to Terrace BC you will be surprised what's there.

Right now I'm flying a bee line from Klawock to Unalasksa in the C46...going to have to squeeze every last drop out of the tank to get there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

My fantasy is that some genius learns how to add scenery and objects to flight. You wouldn't even need new planes, people would still be fascinated.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If only, all the energy lost from FSX people "bashing" Flight would have been recycled in this project...

Well it was a fascinating (and long) trip. If the c-46 had been used for a flight that long we might have finally gotten some full visuals of the oh-so-elusive engine failure! :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If only, all the energy lost from FSX people "bashing" Flight would have been recycled in this project...

FSX people that bashed Flight aren't the reason you can't add your own scenery to Flight. To me half the fun of flight sim is making my own stuff.

If only, all the energy lost from FSX people "bashing" Flight would have been recycled in this project

I have to agree. If some sectors of the community could have just exceped Flight for what it was and what it was to become. We might not be in the situation we now face. But then again, more then likely, it still would not have made a difference with Microsoft if the $ was not there. But we could have felt a lot better about the outcome.

FSX people that bashed Flight aren't the reason you can't add your own scenery to Flight. To me half the fun of flight sim is making my own stuff.

To some, half the fun of a car is fiddling with the engine. The majority of car owners are not so inclined. I feel that one of the major problems with uptake of modern sims is that the tinkerers are in charge, and don't have a clue why average people don't want to buy the nifty kit-cars.

"Just change out the flux capacitor, refraggle the Jeffries tubes and replace these josephson junctions and this baby will be great! Wait...... Where are you going!"

Some people enjoy flight because of its simplicity and the lack of the need to lug around a toolkit to use it. Luis stated he gets twenty minutes a day to fly. Some of us don't want to spend any of those minutes fiddling with the sim.

Devons rig

I think I need to go do some adventuring in the sim, too. A thread like this makes my own rare flights feel boring.

Devons rig

To some, half the fun of a car is fiddling with the engine. The majority of car owners are not so inclined. I feel that one of the major problems with uptake of modern sims is that the tinkerers are in charge, and don't have a clue why average people don't want to buy the nifty kit-cars.

"Just change out the flux capacitor, refraggle the Jeffries tubes and replace these josephson junctions and this baby will be great! Wait...... Where are you going!"

Some people enjoy flight because of its simplicity and the lack of the need to lug around a toolkit to use it. Luis stated he gets twenty minutes a day to fly. Some of us don't want to spend any of those minutes fiddling with the sim.

First I've never sold anything I've built for any sim. I understand most people don't want to fiddle just want to fly, no problem with that. What I have a problem with is blaming people that like to fiddle with it for the failure of Flight. I think there's only one person that deserves the blame for that.

First I've never sold anything I've built for any sim. I understand most people don't want to fiddle just want to fly, no problem with that. What I have a problem with is blaming people that like to fiddle with it for the failure of Flight. I think there's only one person that deserves the blame for that.

Fair enough.

There are several possible replys that might clarify the position, but they would further derail the thread, which would then likely be locked anyway. :-)

I am going to bail on this one.

Devons rig

C'mon guys. Luis started a very interesting thread and some have chosen to go to off topic undesirable subjects. Let's get back on topic please. Hiflyer made a good point. If we can't get back on topic, you know where this will go.

We've had enough discourse in this forum already and we should all do what we can to discuss Flight in a different light. I say we all smile and enjoy what our members contribute as long as it pertains, and keep finding interesting things to discuss, ala Luis.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest Azone

The topic. Just took off from Unalaska in the C46 than dragged it south to 41 degrees North Latitude. Off to Hawaii!

I have it set for winter and clear skys for maximum engine performance. 30% throttle and auto mix for best fuel consumption.

unfortunately Gmap doesn't connect to Flight out here so I hope I am able to stay on course.

No sign of the green abyss yet.