Sign in to follow this  
ivanm

New Zealand...North or South?

I find it kind of weird that neither longview or siletz bay have been mentioned here on avsim......

anywho....I will eventually get both North Island and South Island. (so the get both post is not needed :) ). But which one is better?

They're different. North is relatively flat with the bulk of the population centres therefore major airports. South has a big range down the length of it, so if flying up the right valley to reach your destination is your thing then SI is better.

If you prefer jets like PMDG NGX then the North Island is better. If you are a low and slow VFR flyer with Carenado type aircraft then South Island is better.

I would get both as flights over the Cook Strait and Queen Charlotte Sounds are a must. But if I was to get one then South Island is better because it is bigger and more scenic, tour it low and slow.....

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Funny enough, 737 and A320's fly into 2 Airports in the NI and 3 into the SI. NZAA & NZWN in the North, and NZCH, NZDN NZQN in the south.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You can't tell which is better, they're different. South is definitely beautiful with all those ranges and valleys, but that doesn't mean NZNI is worse just because it's mainly flat. It doesn't matter if you fly airliners or not. I don't think there are people who fly ONLY airliners and never GA. It's always nice to take a break from all those systems and fly the natural way. So conclusion: GET BOTH. You won't regret it.

Well as you can only fly one area at a time.....

If you're a "Low and Slow" pilot I'd go for SI first. Just for Milford Sound alone.

What's really lacking in FSX to my mind is a high quality modern Turbo Prop liner. Between the 20 seaters and the 737/320 s there's a growing use of Turbo props because of operating costs and efficiency. Some in the works I believe but buying FTX to cruise at FL330 and above ...hmmm don't really get it?

BTW the BN2 islander is a must for NZ and Oz in my book. Great model, easy to fly.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Well as you can only fly one area at a time.....

If you're a "Low and Slow" pilot I'd go for SI first. Just for Milford Sound alone.

What's really lacking in FSX to my mind is a high quality modern Turbo Prop liner. Between the 20 seaters and the 737/320 s there's a growing use of Turbo props because of operating costs and efficiency. Some in the works I believe but buying FTX to cruise at FL330 and above ...hmmm don't really get it?

BTW the BN2 islander is a must for NZ and Oz in my book. Great model' date=' easy to fly.

Geoff[/quote']

Exactly why the biggest aircraft I fly is the J41. it's great at 15,000 cruise altitude over orbx land and you still get the airliner type flying.

Funny enough, 737 and A320's fly into 2 Airports in the NI and 3 into the SI. NZAA & NZWN in the North, and NZCH, NZDN NZQN in the south.

the issue is they don't fly between each other in the south island. The flights between NZCH, NZDN and NZQN are handled by ATR's or Dash 8's, I think the only exception is a Jetstar route between NZCH & NZQN

But this isn't a problem if you are flying non-real world operations. I am a heavy 737 user and use real world flight plans so most of my ops are out of Wellington and Auckland as these are the higher demand routes.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Matthew,ANZ do scheduled jet flights within the SI.Not many but they do. ANZ 733 and A320 NZCH ->NZDN <NZCH->NZQN..

*****************************************************************************************************************

NZ693 B733

DJ8553 Dunedin Tue 5:45p.m. Tue 5:45p.m.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Queenstown to Christchurch is subject to demand. Often in the busy ski and summer season, ATR's are replaced with a 737 or A320. Currently it is the shoulder season. But come Jan, Feb.......

If you go to the http://www.thenzsource.com/ which I check daily, quite often you will see a change of aircraft, or an extra.

From November, Jetstar will axe the NZCH -> NZQN flights, replacing with a extra AKL -CHC service. CHC earthquake recovery with the downturn in tourist numbers are the main contributing factor.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

the issue is they don't fly between each other in the south island.... I think the only exception is a Jetstar route between NZCH & NZQN

Until very recently Air NZ also flew the NZCH to NZQN route occasionally using the 737-300s, and was much more heavily used back in the days of the 737-200's. Makes for a nice fun short hop too.

Dont forget NZHN too which has it's international status for another week or so :-) .. Hamilton (NZHN) can and has happily service 737s & A320s to either domestic or pacific destinations. Sadly the last Jet operator Pacific Blue are pulling out due to lack of demand from pax.

I will eventually get both North Island and South Island. (so the get both post is not needed :) ). But which one is better?

As I think everyone else has said both are fabulous. You wont regret buying one over the other.

Dean Stringer

This is a really good post. I had been thinking about buying NZ North, but since I am mainly a low and slow GS flyer, looks like NZ South is the way to go. Thanks Guys.

I think I read somewhere that there is a new technology not used in PNW that renders trees better. Is this technology used in both North and South? Also, since NZ North is the newer product, does it better render the scenery or are they both about equal?

Thanks in advance.

I will eventually get both North Island and South Island. (so the get both post is not needed :) ). But which one is better?

The one where Middle-earth is (located).

I think I read somewhere that there is a new technology not used in PNW that renders trees better. Is this technology used in both North and South?

Don't know about that, the Orbx forums would be the place to ask, but to be honest regarldess of the technology used the appearence of the trees is not very realistic, the forests just dont look anythin like NZ forests from the air, they look nicely rendered, they just dont look very NZ-ish. Having said that if you're not from NZ you wont notice, it'll just look good to you either way :)

Dean Stringer

The one where Middle-earth is (located).

Hehe, yeah that doesn't help of course as the movie was shot on both islands :lol:

Dean Stringer