Sign in to follow this  
MikeDavey777

Number of NGX copies sold?

I was just curious if there would be a way or if anyone on staff would like to let us in on how many copies of NGX have been sold ytd? Enquiring minds want to know :huh:

Mike Davey 777

Hello Mike, That question should never have been asked. If you were in business and had developed a product would you be prepared to divulge how many you had sold. Think about it. Richard Welsh. PS. I dont know why I bothered answering this Post.

Richard,

Well other companies release figures such as Far Cry, Half Life, Metro 2033, other than they may be be a public company, I understand PMDG is privately held, and it was just a simple question no harm meant, and yes i thought about it.

Mike Davey 777

I don't think you will ever hear such statistics in the FlightSim Business. But considering the numerous questions in pretty much any FlightSim Forum, teh "hordes" of NGXs flying online and all those 737s appearing in reviews of sceneries and videos it must be a lot! I guess even more than the previous PMDG-released aircraft combined. The release of the NGX must have been a tremendous success - and to be honest - it is justified ;) !

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

simple guess might be a few thousand copies sold...but whatever it is, PMDG sales are probably the highest among all fsx devs. I would think most FSX aircraft sales these days are somwhere in the hundreds of copies sold on average.

Mike,

It's just one of those touchy subjects for some. Some find it crass to ask, or more accurately, be asked, what their annual salary is. I wouldn't ask anyone else because of this prevailing feeling, however, if someone asks me, I will answer their question. To me, salary isn't a pride thing, it's simply an I-can-fly-more-or-less-with-this-pay kind of thing. To me, it's not a pecking order (heck, we all know there are people getting paid more, to do less work, who may also be less intelligent), or a competition, or anything of that nature. However, I won't criticize anyone for not wishing to share, either for reasons of humility or insecurity, or simply not wanting to share.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your statements about other developers. When you're publicly-held, you have to share information with the shareholders, and that information generally makes it to the surface somehow. PMDG, not being public, really doesn't have to. It's one of the nice parts of being a privately-held company.

Kyle Rodgers

Many, many copies. They make enough money to feed the people of a private island with 1 inhabitant.

I dont think its a question that never should have been asked, surely in the free world we can ask anything ... We might not get an answer or the one we wanted or expected but asking is a persons right. PMDG might not want that info to be made public and thats their choice and for commercial reasons they; like any other company fighting for your money the way most of the world is nowdays arnt going to publish those figures . . but they have said its been their best selling product. I'm glad the NGX is their #1 because with the work that has gone into it they deserve it .. like all the other 1000's of other users i love flying and operating it.

If i owned PMDG would i tell you? .. No but you could ask.

My guess .... 10,000 world wide inc all stock held.

No offence to anyone by this post, just my opinion.

Rich

I don't really understand why it hurts PMDG if sales figures are released to public? It simply cannot. Many things have their statistics including video games.

Of course we don't need to know how many are sold, but it could be interesting to see what's best selling in the fs world.

Hurt isn't really the issue. As mentioned, similar to salaries, it's just information most people aren't willing to share. Because total sales (minus all taxes, fees, etc) are likely shared by the team, knowing total sales and sales price would give you the gross income, and you can make an inference from there. Despite the splits and items that detract from that value, it's still financial information some don't like sharing, and that's something to be respected.

Kyle Rodgers

Hurt isn't really the issue. As mentioned, similar to salaries, it's just information most people aren't willing to share. Because total sales (minus all taxes, fees, etc) are likely shared by the team, knowing total sales and sales price would give you the gross income, and you can make an inference from there. Despite the splits and items that detract from that value, it's still financial information some don't like sharing, and that's something to be respected.

Yet I have no problems to tell someone my salary. If they ask for it...

There was no intent of finding out how much anyone makes at PMDG, I personally think it's rude to ask of one's salary, since they have so many products i don't know if you could gauge how much they do make with one products release, but to what Kyle was referring to I do see where you could get a rough idea.

The problem would be as soon as people found out it would open up a whole world of, "Well if you made XX amount of dollars on the NGX then you should have the 777 released by now, what are you guys doing with all that money." type posts. Some people would get an even stronger case of "PMDG-owes-us-itis"

PMDG puts up with far too much in their forums as it is.

Noah Bryant

All this talk about monies is so vulgar. Lets go back to talking about release dates or whether the EFB will be implemented in the 777 and 747 v2.