Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Why Windows Just Can’t Win

The only thing I don't understand and support in Win 8 is that 'RT' platform. I mean, it makes sense for using some leaner hardware, but it needs separate programs for just that one hardware level. Whereas my normal Win8 runs on all x86 stuff there is and therefore allows me to use all my normal Windows programs on my tablet.

That's what made be buy it (the tablet), the lets say Windows standard. 'RT' doesn't fit. With it, I have to wait until somebody develops an 'RT' version of a program while the normal Win8 can use stuff going years back.

The EU is about to screw MS yet again for not complying with the law that allows users to have a free choice of browsers incl. businesses. With Win8 they "forgot" accidentally on purpose to include the options.

And Microsoft justly deserved to be screwed for that. The browser wars have resulted in better products for all of us. If Microsoft can't compete fairly, they shouldn't be allowed to compete unfairly.

There's a strange touch on those browser wars. A part of me thinks that MS folks are sitting there, looking at the numbers of a potential EU sentence (xxx million USD) versus the ones which come from having a 'popular' IE, the Bing stuff and the things related to knowing that people just use what the OS gives them and never ask for anything else. And it pays off (for them) since the time it took to at least trigger a lawsuit result on their first browser war was enough to e.g. run Netscape down and lead to some years of IE being the one and only soft, the standard, the most used.

And there's my problem. I find a lot of folks not knowing that there's something else. Not even asking for it. So if there was a monopoly, which there is when the OS defines your browser and you just 'obey', nobody would question it.

Or as some tech forum once played it.

Hello an welcome to the forums. You've reported technical problems on the web page display. Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance?

Well, I don't even know what Internet Explorer is. So I guess my answer is no.

It that case, you are.

There's a strange touch on those browser wars. A part of me thinks that MS folks are sitting there, looking at the numbers of a potential EU sentence (xxx million USD) versus the ones which come from having a 'popular' IE, the Bing stuff and the things related to knowing that people just use what the OS gives them and never ask for anything else. And it pays off (for them) since the time it took to at least trigger a lawsuit result on their first browser war was enough to e.g. run Netscape down and lead to some years of IE being the one and only soft, the standard, the most used.

And there's my problem. I find a lot of folks not knowing that there's something else. Not even asking for it. So if there was a monopoly, which there is when the OS defines your browser and you just 'obey', nobody would question it.

Or as some tech forum once played it.

Which is why IE is so prone to virusses and worms etc. The people that use it because they don't know or can't be bothered about other browsers also don't care much about being attacked by said worms etc.

MS has no business at all in forcing companies to use IE. In Europe they now can't do that. The MS "We own you" attitude doesn't go down well here at all!

'Surprising' tenor. ^_^ Apple on Microsoft. Well, what did I expect? Lets ask Boeing on Airbus.

'Surprising' tenor. ^_^ Apple on Microsoft. Well, what did I expect? Lets ask Boeing on Airbus.

Very true :lol:

Matthew Kane

Meanwhile, the ipad mini is receiving an ecstatic reception.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

While it is certainly biased, it is also a little more accurate than Ballmer's opinion on the iPhone when it launched 5 years ago.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-steve-ballmer-thought-about-the-iphone-five-years-ago-2012-6

The iPad and its iOS works well because it is not just a port of the Mac OS with a new skin on it. It was designed purely as a mobile touch based device. Google's Android is also designed for mobile touch devices without trying to compromise, and it works very well too.

Windows RT is just going to confuse people. I predict there are going to be a lot of people looking at it and wondering why it says it runs Windows 8, but can't run the Windows programs they already have. They will then likely just continue on down the isle in Best Buy, or where have you, and buy an iPad or Android tablet. If you're going to have to buy new programs for it, might as well go with the options that are known to work well. Windows 8 tablets will probably do okay in the enterprise, but they have been at it for over 10 years, and never got very far. Maybe this time will be different.

From Microsoft? ^_^ :lol:

At one point that actually would not have been completely unlikely. Apple machines were once common on the Microsoft campus, and some Microsoft software was designed on macs. In fact, I think the largest bulk purchase of apple machines may have been by Microsoft.

Weird, huh?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well, whoever wins or is the best, lets just hope we don't lose it over that first world problem of picking the right mobile OS or even screen size. :ph34r:

Well so far, the surface is not falling on happy times......

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/surface-sales-below-1m-units/

Devons rig

I've been a loyal Microsoft customer for 25 years, but after shutting down ACES and FLIGHT I'm never going to buy a product from them again. In a few short months I've pruchased an iPhone, iPad, Apple-TV and Macbook Pro. Unless FS11 gets back on track my current Windows based PC is my very last. Sad to see Microsoft go, but they seem to have no heart and soul anymore...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!