Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VeryBumpy

How to convert DX9 textures to DX10

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jewel:

You can use these two files to convert your old aircraft textures to DXT5 format: The first one is the bat file, here:

and secondly, "ImageTool" from the SDK here. The links give you a direct download to wherever you save your downloaded files: just place both in the aircraft texture folder and dbl-click on the bat file. It will convert the bmp's to DXT5 .dds files.

Post back if you have any problems. I should add - there's no guarantee this will make the aircraft "DX10 compatible", because - as has been said already - the problem may well be within the mdl file itself, but there's no harm checking, is there! Just backup the aircraft first.

Hello All:

There is a way to batch convert a lot of textures to DXT5. I did this last night on my Ultimate Traffic AI files to include MIP maps for performance. The only thing I edited in this process was to change the .bat file to create mips. "imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -mip -e bmp -batch *.bmp"

Here is the post from the UT2 forum Posted: 06-December-2010 at 5:29am - credit to csharpe:

Here's an easy way to batch convert UT2 aircraft to DXT5 with mipmaps.

Because this is a fast and easy way to convert files, this method converts ALL the aircraft files to DXT5 with mipmaps. However, it also preserves all the properties of the original files, so you get both the benefit of crystal clear textures and mipmaps which eliminate the flickering on both DAY and NIGHT textures. (I know some do not see the value of converting night textures, but the flickering does bother some of us. If you are one of those persons who does not agree with this, please ignore this post.) Although DXT1 creates smaller files, I detected no difference in FPS between the smaller vs. larger file formats. (I was getting 34 FPS at KLAX with 100% AI regardless of the file format). There is no discernible loss in quality from the original to the converted files with this method. Be prepared for your original file size of 2.77GB to grow to 4.20GB. The mipmaps add approximately 1/3 more to the file size. However, they look MUCH better, and there is no performance hit.

I have compared both the original files and the newly converted files in action, and I have not found any difference in the functionality other than the fact that the flickering has disappeared on night and day textures.

To set up the process:

1) Create a new folder and name it something like "DXT batch converter".

2) Copy "ImageTool.exe" into this folder. (It can be found online if it did not come with the SDK in your FSX version.)

3) Create a text document with the following text:

imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -e bmp -batch *.bmp

4) Save the text document as "dxt5.bat"

5) Copy your "UT2 Aircraft" folder into the "DXT batch converter" folder. (After it is copied, add "Backup" to the end of your "original" folder location so that you can revert to it if you need to.)

6) Double-click the "dxt5.bat" file, and within about 20 minutes your files will be converted.

7) Copy the "UT2 Aircraft" folder back to its original location and go flying.

If you want to try the DXT1 or DXT3 formats, just substitute those texts for "DXT5" in the batch file.

Best,Carlyle

? I love the Flight1 C172R for FS9. I read on their site that if I download the FSX installer I can use my product validation key to install the 172R into FSX. So I tried, the installer works fine, plane is loaded in FSX but it's all greyed out, no textures.

I read on their support pages and find this:

http://www.flight1.c...w.asp?page=dx10

Morale of their story is, if I have DX10 preview checked the Flight1 C172R won't work properly. They say if I uncheck the preview box then their plane will work in FSX. If I uncheck this box I'll have to restart FSX right? Doing so will turn off DX10 right?

Is there a work around to make this awesome plane work with DX10?

Thanks.

Gus

P.S. The main reason (besides the Flight1 C172R is a great model of the Cessna) is I want to use my A2A shockwave lights with a Cessna 172. I have them loaded for the default FSX 172 but the problem there is no taxi/landing light difference. In reading on that I find FSX did not model a taxi light, so I get nice lights with A2A shockwave and the default FSX C172 but the taxi light does not work. The taxi light switch does nothing, if I turn on the landing light switch both lights light up, but it's super bright, not cool for taxiing.

Does anyone know of a C172 for FSX that models the taxi AND landing lights? I'm assuming Flight1 C172R does, BUT it doesn't work with DX10 Preview checked. :mad:

I need to look more into the Carenado C172, the only thing that worries me there is the lack of the AP panel and IFR gauges, it seems from the screen shots its more of a VFR only plane, or atleast it doesn't look as those the OBS1 has G/S and Loc, only Loc.

I've been waiting for a long for Real Air to release their version of the C172 for FSX, it's been "coming soon" for a LONG time.

With the aim of not veering off the topic in this thread;

Is anyone looking at converting textures of the new Flytampa OMDB rebooted which clearly deosn't like DX10.

I can't see any ground textures in DX10 at night. During the day it looks very nice apart from the lights leading upto the runways at each end appearing as black boxes.

I have started flying to and out of Dubai during the day only..

Any work arounds or even methods for me to try out are welcome..

Cheers,

Mars

There is a way to batch convert a lot of textures to DXT5. I did this last night on my Ultimate Traffic AI files to include MIP maps for performance. The only thing I edited in this process was to change the .bat file to create mips. "imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -mip -e bmp -batch *.bmp"

Does this fix works for sceneries too? :rolleyes: I mean about the issue of grey-blue runways at dawn and dusk.

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your post. Like a lot of people my "programming" skills are zero, and that extends to creating bat files. I've forgotten all those details of using FS5 on Dos 5.

I've been ploughing through my UT2 aircraft manually, so your bat is a godsend. My understanding, though, is that I must delete the bmps after they have been joined by the new dds's.

Can a batch file be created to delete the bmps through the whole UT2 Aircraft structure?

Regards, Jim

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your post. Like a lot of people my "programming" skills are zero, and that extends to creating bat files. I've forgotten all those details of using FS5 on Dos 5.

I've been ploughing through my UT2 aircraft manually, so your bat is a godsend. My understanding, though, is that I must delete the bmps after they have been joined by the new dds's.

Can a batch file be created to delete the bmps through the whole UT2 Aircraft structure?

Regards, Jim

I looked up some dos commands and switches.

I've put a link to the bat file I used to remove the .bmps from my UT2 Aircraft folders, after using Carlyle's bat file to create the dds's. AlphaSearcher now reports no missing Alphas, nor any missing Mips.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sax7y06dbuf6ahm/Delete%20BMPS.bat

Jim

TO ALL PROGRAMMERS!! :mad:

In my opinion and that is "BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME"!! "DON'T BUILD IT AND REMAIN IN THE CORN FIELD LOOKING OUT AND WHINNING ABOUT WHAT CAN AND CAN'T BE DONE"!!

This is the maIn #1 reason that I am here on Avsim is to learn and support FSX. This is the same approach that MS took when developing FSX. HCORNEA, if you are a true programmer? you can and will make the differnce to FSX, IF YOU CHOOSE TO. I agree totally with Paul, I also have paid FSDT cash money for their DX10 add-ons and will continue in the future as long as the product says "DX10 COMPATABLE". I take great affense on what you have said in your post. We as a country have sent men and women into outer space and they weren't sent their on a hope and a prayer... they had to have "PROGRAMMERS" to get them their So in closeing "Get on the bus or get off and walk the rest of the way". With Steve P and the rest, FSX will move ahead with or without all the negitive replys.

Les

I looked up some dos commands and switches.

I've put a link to the bat file I used to remove the .bmps from my UT2 Aircraft folders, after using Carlyle's bat file to create the dds's. AlphaSearcher now reports no missing Alphas, nor any missing Mips.

https://www.dropbox....Delete BMPS.bat

Jim

If you place Imagetool in the folder you're working on, it will considerably shorten that copy/pasting (or plain typing) great long filename, Jim. The syntax/commands for the switches can be found by typing imagetool -? into a command line, and hitting Enter. If you want greater automation I would suggest you get out the old DOS cmd set and add in something like this, having first created a "bmp_backup" folder under the same main folder that you're in, like this :-

Addon Scenery

KPDX

scenery

texture

bmp_backup <-- new folder

The "delete_bmp.bat" script would then be:-

copy *.bmp ..\bmp_backup\. <---- note the period at the end of the line

dir ..\bmp_backup

pause <--------- this is here so that you can verify that the copy did work.

imagetool -nogui -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r *.bmp

del *.bmp

It's a very nice little tool, isn't it!

Does this fix works for sceneries too? :rolleyes: I mean about the issue of grey-blue runways at dawn and dusk.

Hi Jewel:

No - converting textures won't, in itself mean that "the grey boxes" will go away. It simply means that you have made the existing textures compliant with the DX10 (Vista) and FSX SP2 standard: i.e. a "dds" file extension. The gpu is going to look for an alpha and a mip-map for every texture it sees, and if they are missing (provided a lot of them are missing) there will be a stumble, or there will be stuttering. Adding the mip and the alpha gets rid of that possibility.

The model file may well be created using older fs9/fs8 tools - and that will be the cause of the grey boxes - not the fact that the textures are .bmp's.

Would like to add one more problem I found out today with AI traffic and DX10. Orbx just came out with North Amreica GA AI traffic add on (free by the way). Unfortunately, in my case all the AI they have added shows the Ghost-white texture.

Oh yeah... How do I uninstall Orbx AI?

I started seeing ghost aircrafts all over.

Manny

Oh yeah... How do I uninstall Orbx AI?

I started seeing ghost aircrafts all over.

Manny

I may be mistaking but I think Orbx does not support DX10 AI wise, been like that for ever, the best thing will be to ask them on their forum.

I may be mistaking but I think Orbx does not support DX10 AI wise, been like that for ever, the best thing will be to ask them on their forum.

I get those Ghosts in DX09

Most of the static aircraft show up just fine, Alain, the only issue I had was with the ground shadowing not being very consistent, and the aircraft used at the two (free) Canadian airports being grey.

I have mentioned DX10 on their forum a couple of times, but the posts were either absolutely ignored, or getting a cutting remark indicating that DX10 -

"'DX10 preview mode' is just that: a preview of what could of been, not something we can fix or design for sorry," - from Tim Harris, and a much harsher one by Wolter Spoel which has 'disappeared'.

If you place Imagetool in the folder you're working on, it will considerably shorten that copy/pasting (or plain typing) great long filename, Jim. The syntax/commands for the switches can be found by typing imagetool -? into a command line, and hitting Enter. If you want greater automation I would suggest you get out the old DOS cmd set and add in something like this, having first created a "bmp_backup" folder under the same main folder that you're in, like this :-

Addon Scenery

KPDX

scenery

texture

bmp_backup <-- new folder

The "delete_bmp.bat" script would then be:-

copy *.bmp ..\bmp_backup\. <---- note the period at the end of the line

dir ..\bmp_backup

pause <--------- this is here so that you can verify that the copy did work.

imagetool -nogui -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r *.bmp

del *.bmp

It's a very nice little tool, isn't it!

That looks very neat, Paul. I'll try it in future. I've only limited time for flying now that I'm back in school, learning about FSX, DX10, Shaders, Alphas, MipMaps, .DDS types. Now I'm back thinking of all I've forgotten about Dos!

I did see Nick's tool for dealing with UT2 Aircraft, missing some of the files. Mine are done by the blanket method, without any visible defects so far.

My most demanding area is Seattle. I can now fly there with Active Sky 2012 active, looking around with TIR, without any sign of the big jagged artifacts, smooth as silk. That is 'till last night, when I did a trial flight. As I approached downtown Seattle, a very big twister came down from the N-E. As it came close, FPS slowed to a slow stutter, and FSX froze (no pun intended) . :( Still sneaking a thought towards a GTX 680! :smile:

Everywhere else 30fps and smooth flying.

Regards, Jim