Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Setting up a realistic viewpoint for the captain's seat

Just bought OpusFSX which includes a camera utility and now I'm trying to find the most realistic viewpoint for the captain's seat. Below is a screenshot showing how I've it setup currently which "feels" about right but would be great if I could get some input or comments from a real 737NG driver if it looks true to life and what you actually see when you're in the real a/c looking straight forward or if it should be more zoomed in/out, higher/lower etc.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Leftseat737-800.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Definitely not right. Remember that your eyes have an incredibly wide field of view, but your monitor only covers a small portion of that view. Your monitor, when set up properly, should display approximately 20% of your field of view. If you want a wrap around view without messing with your zoom setting (which introduces a ton of distortion due to the fisheye), you need to buy multiple monitors. If you only have one, you're going to have to hat switch around.

It "feels" like there's way too much room between you and the displays, I'm guessing because of your zoom factor.

So, realism, no. Compromise to approximate the right field of view, maybe (but not focal length - that's waaaaaaay off). What they've provided "in-house" is well placed. It only feels off because you're used to your eyes seeing about 200 degrees of view, and your monitor shows only about 20% of it.

Kyle Rodgers

I agree with scandinavian. The position might be right, the zoom factor is way of as he explained. I use mostly a zoom of 40-50% in FS and use the Hat Switch or Track IR. Multiple monitors is an option but i don't like it because of the gaps between the monitors :)

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

Even a zoom of 40-50% is going to give you a weird result. As I explained above, if you're looking for a compromise of field of view and focal length, zooming can do that, but things are going to be distorted appreciably. If you're looking for the proper focal length, you need a zoom of 100%, but your field of view is going to be limited as if you're physically on the flight deck viewing it through a picture frame the size of your monitor. If you want the proper field of view, you're going to want a zoom level of maybe 10%, but your focal length is going to be shot and terribly distorted.

If you want both, you'll need 6 of these:

http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/simulation/simulator-projector-systems/simulator-projectors/Pages/default.aspx

...with a parabolic screen.

...neither of which are going to be very wallet-friendly.

Kyle Rodgers

I see what you mean guys, thanks for your input!

I think I'll just have to find a view then that will give me the best compromise with the hardware I'm using, a 40 inch screen and TIR 5.

Richard Åsberg

To continue this discussion a bit... Is there anyway to "divide" the VC into two screens in any way?... to like "extend" the cocpit...

Or will this just look extremely wierd?;-)

Niklas Eriksson

I personally moved the default view position back and up a bit - I found the camera position that is shipped as default far too far forward and it was difficult to see over the top!

The view I have is as realistic as I could get it to be - that is I've managed to approximate what I've seen when sitting in the cockpit of a real 738 - but it's never going to be exact, as a compromise I've got TrackIR which gives me plenty of panning and helps with the immersion factor, so overall I'm happy.

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Any chance of a few screenshots from you guys, to give me an idea of what we should be trying to do for?

Thanks

I'll try and get you one in the next few days. Doubt I'll get a chance to boot FSX until next week but if I get a spare minute I'll sort you out a photo and the settings I've put in the aircraft.cfg to get those views - Or maybe you should just try my settings and see if it works for you!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Try with zoom at 60%, looks very close to real for me, and you can easily read the instruments. The height of the chair in the NGX i think is perfect.

MIne's like this:

SPxRn.jpg

Looks good, I have allways been fiddling around 60-65 but 40 does not seem to far out. What size screen?

MIne's like this:

SPxRn.jpg

Looks good, I have allways been fiddling around 60-65 but 40 does not seem to far out. What size screen?

23.png

16", 1366*768. That's why I stay with 40.