Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

REX Essential PLUS vs OpusFSX

As I said, not only does it not get it right sometimes, but at least before Plus, when a number of us would run Rex weather and fly together online, it wouldn't even give us all the same weather at the same location.

Ah... "before plus". But this whole topic is ABOUT Plus and Opus.

Before Plus I experienced exactly the same issues. While some could get Essentials working, for me it was simply an exercise in frustration and I stopped using it other than for textures as its wx engine was completely unreliable on my system. In fact, it was while waiting for whatever was to come from REX that I finally gave in, bought Opus and became a very happy camper. It worked. The wx injected properly almost every time and I was pretty, if not completely, happy.

Then REX released the long awaited Plus, and I'd promised myself that I'd keep an open mind and give it a good trial. I did that and have mostly moved back. Along the path to get there, I've spent more evaluation time than I have for any FSX product. For some reason I got pretty OC ( for you hardware guys out there, that's Obsessive/Compulsive, not Overclocked :rolleyes: )about the whole thing.

I've done scores of head to head comparisons (just about making my self nutz) looking at METARs from an independent source, then pulling both products up and comparing. The ONLY substantive differences I've EVER seen in METAR rendering (and by substantive I mean clearly wrong, not "I prefer") have come from user error (I've manage to do a few boneheads and crash FSX with BOTH products) or because the METAR at a field changed substantially between runs. Re-running with the new METAR on both would take me right back to: same METAR - good depictions, subtle differences.

Opus is a good product, I'll continue to keep an open mind and use it from time to time as it evolves, and I'm glad there's good competition in this area. But the more I learn about wx products, the more I have to shake my head at the almost magical properties some (just to be clear, that's not aimed at you, Griphos) seem to attach to the one they champion.

Scott

Ah... "before plus". But this whole topic is ABOUT Plus and Opus.

The ONLY substantive differences I've EVER seen in METAR rendering (and by substantive I mean clearly wrong, not "I prefer") have come from user error (I've manage to do a few boneheads and crash FSX with BOTH products) or because the METAR at a field changed substantially between runs.

Scott

Yes, and as you can see from my posts, I'm talking about Plus in all but this one instance. It hasn't been available very long and I haven't been flying online lately so can't speak to the MP consistency of the newest version and wanted to make that clear.

But, the "substantive" errors in Rex relative to the Metars were not user error. Perhaps Plus has largely fixed these errors and inconsistencies. I doubt I'll be able to get the guys to stop flying AS and Opus long enough to test it to see. For me, the relative depiction of haze and ground mist alone is enough to push me to Opus over Plus. I'm not championing Opus or any other weather program. Just reporting my experiences with the two I have.

But, the "substantive" errors in Rex relative to the Metars were not user error.

I'm sure they weren't. I had them myself and could never completely eliminate them despite trying every potential fix out there. Eventually the support message became "wait for the service pack", so I did. I agree. I get that. But it's simply not relevant to this discussion.

I'm not championing Opus or any other weather program. Just reporting my experiences with the two I have.

Nor am I. I have 2 and use them both. I currently prefer one, but that can change (and has changed) over time.

But hey, some days I like flying Orbx land-class scenery and others I'd rather fly photo-scenery. Go figure. :-)

Scott

I just got Opus. Winds aloft would be nice too. Opus is still beta and those guys are kin so if it is something the community wants I imagine they are working on it. but I have no insider knowledge.

After my flight yesterday my problem seems to be REX cloud textures repeating not looking right.

See this post:

http://www.simforums...topic43837.html

Eyecandy....really.

Who the heck doesn't want eyecandy? And I would rather have eyecandy in the sim rather than just in the UI.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

I just got Opus. Winds aloft would be nice too. Opus is still beta and those guys are kin so if it is something the community wants I imagine they are working on it.

Opus is a released product, though they do make betas available as they work on the next set of enhancements. I like what they're doing here with the open betas, but it does make commenting on features and capabilities quite the moving target. They change quickly. Winds aloft is still on their future enhancement list.

As for the cloud textures, the developers have said they use FEX so I'm guessing FEX is probably going to be a good investment if you decide Opus will be your wx engine. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the reasons I prefer the look of what I'm getting from the REX wx engine is simply because it's a better match for the REX clouds I have loaded. Or perhaps I just haven't found and loaded the most Opus friendly REX clouds yet.

Scott

Try with the Standard Mode with Synoptic, Micro, and FSX/P3D Interpolation processes enabled. This will give you a much richer and realistic environment. The WXPLUS mode has it's benefits in that there is no hit on the FPS, but you can't get the realism of the Standard (Station by Station Mode) in REX+.

Ok Standard mode is definitly better, even though the description of WXplus mode sounds way better.lol

I didnt fly high altitude just a couple short flights, but overall better, although the metar was a bit off on the cloud layers. When I left KSEA, I had a metar that was broken scattered clouds, which it depicted, then when I tookoff, I mmedietly had rain falling which I couldnt figure out because I had no clouds above below or within at least a 1/2 mile away. But the overall overcast is better. Now just have to see about the wind and pressure shifts at altitude. Thanks

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the reasons I prefer the look of what I'm getting from the REX wx engine is simply because it's a better match for the REX clouds I have loaded. Or perhaps I just haven't found and loaded the most Opus friendly REX clouds yet.

Scott

I've enjoyed these combinations with Opus:

Cumulus 55

Cirrus 12

Cumulus 57

Cirrus 15

I've enjoyed these combinations with Opus:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try this weekend, as I'm trying out the new Opus beta.

Scott

I just got Opus. Winds aloft would be nice too. Opus is still beta and those guys are kin so if it is something the community wants I imagine they are working on it. but I have no insider knowledge.

After my flight yesterday my problem seems to be REX cloud textures repeating not looking right.

See this post:

http://www.simforums...topic43837.html

Eyecandy....really.

Who the heck doesn't want eyecandy? And I would rather have eyecandy in the sim rather than just in the UI.

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish. Never once has an issue been reported in 4 years since our release in regards to this very subject. Not ONCE. It's come to fruition with the competitor weather engine and they were quick to jump on REX textures to hide the fact of their poor cell rendering. Their weather engine is simply duplicating weather regions, which is why it looks tiled from above, it's not a texture issue.You cannot comprise a group of billboards textures and lay them out in photoshop to make sure they do or don't repeat... impossible, and the person who said that knows better.

It comes down to this... because a competitor makes a claim doesn't make it so.

Is the REX capable of setting really low visibility? (below 50m)

Absolutely!

iuEHA.jpg

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Wow that's a 'colorful' explanation!! That one particularly looks more like 1 km visibility but i got the picture. Thank you!!

Damian,

I found this thread while looking for some info on the new REX release. I am a current REX 2 user and have attempted several times to download the new release, however, the REX site tells me I do not have the correct permissions to access the page. Assuming it's a problem with my user profile for the REX site I sent an e-mail to the forum admin via the link provided on the page.

It's one day shy of a week since I requested help and no one has responded to me. I even sent a follow up message part way through the week, but still no reply. What do I need to do to escalate this issue?

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Very sorry you are experiencing these issues on our forum, I would be glad to help you. Please send me a PM here on AVSIM and we'll go from there. The name's Tim by the way B)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish.

Just to follow up here too:

Hey you guys can sort that out between yourselves. All I know is I flew the same route today and it was FANTASTIC!

I got love for ya both. Sent a chill up my back it looked so cool.

All I did was change cloud sets.

Cloud surfing in this amazing AC has never been so fun.

2012-11-16_19-32-9-481.jpg

2012-11-16_19-45-30-591.jpg

2012-11-16_19-35-31-664.jpg

Beats the heck out of this: :P

flight_simulator_3_for_dos.png

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Hi Tom,

Very sorry you are experiencing these issues on our forum, I would be glad to help you. Please send me a PM here on AVSIM and we'll go from there. The name's Tim by the way B)

Thanks! PM sent.