Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

REX Essential PLUS vs OpusFSX

In fairness, since I grumbled about customer support in an open forum, above, I should also follow up and let folks know that Tim got right back to me after I sent him the PM and is working on resolving the issue for me. Looking forward to checking out REX Essentials!

In fairness, since I grumbled about customer support in an open forum, above, I should also follow up and let folks know that Tim got right back to me after I sent him the PM and is working on resolving the issue for me. Looking forward to checking out REX Essentials!

Nice move Tom. I wish more folks would do that.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Since there is a discussion of all 3 major engines on here, of which I own REX + and Opus, can someone tell me the best engine that copes or surpresses the best the wind shift and pressure shift and also handles the TAT a little better. I realize these are FSX bugs and passed on even to P3D which I mostly fly, but it really doesnt make an enjoyable flying experience when everytime there is a shift, my aircraft swings violently, then decreases in speed to just above stall speed. In the case of the MD11 it completely knocks off autopilot and vnav and lnav. The REX plus has made alot of improvements, but my TAT is swinging at 33000ft from -22 to 0 to -8 to +4. Making a climb very difficult and stabalize.

You users of AS2012 does it handle this any better? Right now I got to get a handle on it somehow. Extremely frustrating. Theres got to be a way to manage it. Im not going to sit and watch the screen at cruise for a 12 hour leg, just for pressure and wind shifts knocking it off.

Heres an example. Doing a flight in the 747, I get knocked off from mach .83 down to 260kts. Everytime this happens The throttle has to come up to max to get up to speed once again. This is massive fuel wastage and has screwed with my flight fuel planning.

Thanks

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Since there is a discussion of all 3 major engines on here, of which I own REX + and Opus, can someone tell me the best engine that copes or surpresses the best the wind shift and pressure shift and also handles the TAT a little better. I realize these are FSX bugs and passed on even to P3D which I mostly fly, but it really doesnt make an enjoyable flying experience when everytime there is a shift, my aircraft swings violently, then decreases in speed to just above stall speed. In the case of the MD11 it completely knocks off autopilot and vnav and lnav. The REX plus has made alot of improvements, but my TAT is swinging at 33000ft from -22 to 0 to -8 to +4. Making a climb very difficult and stabalize.

You users of AS2012 does it handle this any better? Right now I got to get a handle on it somehow. Extremely frustrating. Theres got to be a way to manage it. Im not going to sit and watch the screen at cruise for a 12 hour leg, just for pressure and wind shifts knocking it off.

Heres an example. Doing a flight in the 747, I get knocked off from mach .83 down to 260kts. Everytime this happens The throttle has to come up to max to get up to speed once again. This is massive fuel wastage and has screwed with my flight fuel planning.

Thanks

I use AS2012 for big iron long flights, i always climb as high as possible then use time accel, sometimes up to x16.

At x16 the plane dynamics is incredibly sensitive to sudden wind shifts etc.

So far in AS012 SP2 its looking very good in DWC mode, in there ihave set options to minimise turbulence effects, in my registered FSUIPC, and also in FSX optins weather, turbulence is disabled.

Looks like a combination of those has fixed the issue for me.

I also have Rex+ OD, but was getting stutters everytime rex weather updates., not so with AS2012. But using rex textures. Try new AS2012 textures soon.

I use AS2012 for big iron long flights, i always climb as high as possible then use time accel, sometimes up to x16.

At x16 the plane dynamics is incredibly sensitive to sudden wind shifts etc.

So far in AS012 SP2 its looking very good in DWC mode, in there ihave set options to minimise turbulence effects, in my registered FSUIPC, and also in FSX optins weather, turbulence is disabled.

Looks like a combination of those has fixed the issue for me.

I also have Rex+ OD, but was getting stutters everytime rex weather updates., not so with AS2012. But using rex textures. Try new AS2012 textures soon.

If thats the case, then I will have to seriously consider purchasing another WE. I hope it manages the temperature problem a little better too.

Using REX Plus right now and even though REX weather winds aloft report and temp report had it at -35 I was at +18 at FL280 . Aircraft didnt want to climb anymore. Got dinged again by VAFS for overspeed and damaging my cargo again on a level cruise. So Im this close to purchase.

CYVR LSZH 

For everyone interested in wx fine nuances I would recommend to start with HiFi's AS line (AS2012 now). In general I would recommend to build your wx depiction preferences on the solid AS basis, it's a must-have companion of FSX next to FSUIPC.

Dirk.

Using REX Plus right now and even though REX weather winds aloft report and temp report had it at -35 I was at +18 at FL280 .

That's bizarre! I don't fly in the flight levels that much, but I have done several runs in the P46T since moving to REXE+ and winds and temps aloft have worked well. It was a toasty :-) -38C last night (last yesterday afternoon virtual time) at FL230 between KSNA and KLAS and it stayed right in the range expected. I'm not getting bounced around by major wind changes either.

Moving back to Opus, I did try several of the suggested REX cloud textures this weekend to see if my poor cloud renditions disappeared in Opus, and sadly they do not. Most stratus and stratocumulus types are displayed as very hard and poorly detailed no matter what REX textures I seem to load. Another user posted similar examples here and on the REX support forum, and the resulting comments really nailed it for me. They look very much like default FSX clouds. I have no idea what's happening there, but it is.

I'm done experimenting for a while and simply enjoying REXE+. On a flight a few nights back, I was descending into KLAS from the NE down through layers of overcast and broken clouds. At one point I was between layers and with the superb rendition I was getting I had one of those great "this is EXACTLY what it feels like IRL" moments. Flying between layers in a light aircraft is a very surreal experience and this nailed it.

Scott

In regards to TAT we have documented facts that TAT are artificial with some aircraft. Our developers and beta testers know what data we are putting in the FSX weather engine and what is coming out. We had dedicated online meetings in regards to this. The handling of the TAT is different between different add-on aircraft makers. Thus, it is impossible to code around these different situations. Frankly trying to make this work is like trying to capture a ghost in a net.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Good point from Reed on those custom or, as he says, artificial ways of some aircraft. It's reasonable to leave the FSX standards behind to achieve better and more realistic results. However, I sometimes feel like being trapped by the overall fanciness of addons, leading to strange TAT readings or 'just' some weird S-turns. And that's with other, not less fancy aircraft addons, just working as expected.

This just means that if a bunch of devs can handle detailed autopilots and temperature readings in the sim, some custom ways may have to be questioned. Just to avoid the usual blaming of e.g. weather addon devs, looking at a big pool full of fancy addon aircraft, each of them coming with a different 'this is it!' setup. If you know what I mean. ^_^

To add to the actual issue, TAT readings. So far, REX+ did give me proper temps on my planes. The freeware FSRealWx also achieved this while my older ASE setup occasionally showed some trouble on e.g. the MD11.

Now who's to blame? See? :mellow:

Im not sure. Not blaming anyone, but the aircraft simply doesnt climb much at all when it gets that warm, and doing a manual reload of the weather changes the temp. Whether thats the aircraft interpreting it, the weather engine, or FSX itself, who knows. Perhaps PMDG aircraft are more susceptible as are the wind shifts which I again dont have an explanation for. There is no doubt REX Plus has alot of beautiful creations. There is no engine that is perfect. There is too many variables. But something has to work to make it tolerable and workable.

All seems to be a balance of what works with your system. Not sure why my wind and pressure shifts are so bad whether i use REX or Opus. So Im thinking of just uninstalling everything and redo from scratch and see what a more vanilla config does. Backup before every addon or two.

Flying should be enjoyed, not wondering if you will get a sim crash, or a massive wind shift drop in altitude or that the aircraft wont climb anymore.

CYVR LSZH 

After following this thread I decided to purchase Opus FSX as with the flight 1 system I can try before I buy, thank you for this.

First off I must say that REX has given me upgrades since I bought their product in 2010 which I think is awesome!

Ok, with EGWU selected in REX and getting it to download textures for that weather I flew around a bit and you can see the result below:

538661_10152388523330085_1062811176_n.jpg

Keeping it paused I shut down REX and then loaded up Opus and waited for it to do its stuff, a one second unpause after and pause again.

224988_10152388525210085_974069606_n.jpg

Which out of the two matched what I saw out the window better.

However, and this is a big BUT. REX sets turbulence within the sim and Opus does not so that you have a plane that flies on rails in Opus, for me this is an immersion breaker. I know it has the head bobbing effect but to me the philosophy is flawed as the aircraft moves in turbulence, not just the pilots. Having the aircraft be effected moves dials around and is much more 'being there'.

For me overall REX can do some great weather but a lot of the time there just doesn't seem to be enough of it, lots of gaps, increase the density and I think it would be better. These are from REX Essentials HD before I upgraded to Plus Overdrive.

18721_10152329771645085_522210565_n.jpg

268301_10152335001250085_1248528078_n.jpg

563575_10152337608315085_865910509_n.jpg

There is already a bump option, but like you I like to have more interraction on the VSI for example.

But its already as nice as it is, they keep improving, so someday we will have it as an option, let FSX do it or OPUS (turbulence effects).

flight_simulator_3_for_dos.png

Whats wrong with this? You can barely see the airport!

Rex for me has excellent textures, support and immersion in terms of physics although the latest build vs Opus it looses out in tems getting the look, although as can be seen above when Rex gets it right can look awesome too.

Will see what I'm using in a weeks time.

And after a while I've found I'm using Rex textures with Opus doing the camera and weather, combined with Accufeel I now feel I've got FSX XI.