Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

AS2012 SP2! Beta #4 is now available

Yay!!! Will be installing this on a fresh FSX install!

Chris Howard

The first test should be to do a flight with OpusFSX in an area with varied weather and take some screen shots showing what you believe to be the advantages of Opus.

Second test is to do the same flight with AS2012 SP1 and historical weather set to the same time as the Opus flight. Screen shots to show differences between Active Sky and Opus. I suggest DWC, Prevent Cloud Redraws, Local Station Writes and an update interval of 10 minutes as well as a test with whatever your default settings are.

Third test is the same flight with AS2012 SP2 when it's installed, historical weather for the same time as the Opus flight, with screen shots. Try both the above settings and your preferred settings, and experiment with any new settings in SP2. Need the best screen shots from SP2 along with the settings you used, and screen shots of the worst cloud depictions in SP2 for comparison.

No one ever said testing was quick and easy. :)

I don't have Opus or this is exactly what I'd be doing.

Hook

Thanks Hook, appreciated!

23.png

Great news, actually bought AS2012 earlier today in my quest to find the best wx engine for my use.

Smart move!! Enjoy!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am not that smart actually ;) I just have some experience in listening to, and copying smart people. I am not too embarassed to say that I have copied Kostas addon setup almost to the T ;)

23.png

Wow guys, seems this is the era of wx engines... looking forward to try it out!

Richard Åsberg

Those clouds look sweet Mr Willis.

Im racing to get FSX re- installed to try sp2 out!

Chris Howard

I am not too embarassed to say that I have copied Kostas addon setup almost to the T ;)

Yea, you copycat :P

For anyone interested, a little comparison. Both engines don't do overcast, and both now look very very similar. The streched cloud appearance is due to zoom 0.30, did that only to cover the bigger area.

Opus does this:

AS2012 SP2 does this:

And this is how it should look:

Yea, you copycat :P

Guilty :) Why mess with the rest when you can play with the best :) :)

23.png

In cloudy situation OpusFSX rendition still looks better to me.

Dirk.

If the METAR says BKN050, we tell FS to render a broken layer at 5000. There isn't much room for any weather engine to change that. If you are trying to promote the competitive product, that is not allowed here. If you have constructive comparisons in effort to improve AS, that is more than welcome. Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

For anyone interested, a little comparison. Both engines don't do overcast, and both now look very very similar. The streched cloud appearance is due to zoom 0.30, did that only to cover the bigger area.

Opus does this...

Word Not Allowed, do you have DetailClouds enbaled? This reminds me of the initial OVC depiction when I first installed P3D (and I'd forgotten to set it to depict detail clouds)

Kostas Terzides

ActiveSky developer

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Kostas,

Are you talking about this? http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

Yes, just checking incase you re-installed etc and forgot like the way it happened to me once. Another very simple question is then this: Can you depict OVC by setting it through the default FSX UI dialogs? And finally, was this an OVC metar indeed? Can you give me details (ICAO, date-time) so that I can check myself? I may have a possible explanation (it may be location related)

Kostas Terzides

ActiveSky developer

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png