Great information! Thank you for that post. I needed that. So would a monitor with 3,000,000:1 dynamic and 1,000:1 native contrast ratio be sufficient? What is your Dell specs like?

That's a very useful tool. I was considering gettin one, but I'm goin to upgrade to a GTX 680. Could I use surround to span across 3 monitors,

Great information! Thank you for that post. I needed that. So would a monitor with 3,000,000:1 dynamic and 1,000:1 native contrast ratio be sufficient? What is your Dell specs like?

GIYF

http://search.dell.c...0-black-uk.html

I have 3 of these hooked up to an ATI 6990 in Eyefinity mode.

Obviously I didn't pay the Dell price...

Just get TWO DVI to HDMI adapters and you are good to go. This way you will be using 3 HDMI cables for the monitors.

http://www.amazon.co...to hdmi adapter

If you want to use 4 monitors, then you can also get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

http://www.amazon.co...to hdmi adapter

I noticed that the GTX 680 has an HDMI, Dual link DVI-I, and a Dual Link DVI-D. What is the difference in the DVI's and is it ok to to use adapters for three different connection types to hook up identical monitors. Will the different connections impact visuals?

I'm in same situation here so excuse me for jumping in and asking these questions -

To run a 3 monitor setup I get a GTX 680, 3x identical monitors and thats it? Just configuration/setup etc and I have a nice smooth wide view?

Is there a big performance penalty between running a single monitor on a 680 and triple monitors ie would it go from 30fps for 1 down to 18fps for all 3 etc.

Going to order a 680gtx shortly to run just a single monitor but next month am looking at getting 3x replacements.

I did something similar to what you are planning, FSX737Pilot. I learned a few things afterwards that I wished I'd known before.

First, if you are going to use three monitors then make sure they are identical. I see that you are planning to buy one and later on maybe to add others. By the time you get around to doing that your first model may be out of production. That's what happened me and whilst my system is fine with the older monitor and two new near-identical ones I cannot get the colour calibration exactly right between them.

Second, I recommend an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter - these aren't expensive. This is what I use with my 670GTX.

Third, and most irritating. Surround View in FSX will only work in full screen and virtual cockpit mode (well that's almost true). In virtual cockpit when I used SHIFT+1 etc to bring up 2D popups I got a spinning cursor, stretched out popup gauges, and snail-like frame rates. Lots of others have had this same problem. There are workarounds but these must be done for each addon aircraft individually. If you search on these boards for George Trovato there's lots of info there. I believe he made a program which corrects this spinning cursor lark in all the default FSX planes.

Finally, it may be a problem which applies only to me, but my bezel-corrected resolutions were sometimes not retained and I had to re-configure these each time I ran FSX. I've got around the problem by saving my default flight in full screen, virtual cockpit mode.

Having said all that, I enjoy my full screen Surround views. I have managed to create 2D full screen surround views with popups for some addon aircraft, but that is another story.

Supporter.png

John

I did something similar to what you are planning, FSX737Pilot. I learned a few things afterwards that I wished I'd known before.

First, if you are going to use three monitors then make sure they are identical. I see that you are planning to buy one and later on maybe to add others. By the time you get around to doing that your first model may be out of production. That's what happened me and whilst my system is fine with the older monitor and two new near-identical ones I cannot get the colour calibration exactly right between them.

Second, I recommend an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter - these aren't expensive. This is what I use with my 670GTX.

Third, and most irritating. Surround View in FSX will only work in full screen and virtual cockpit mode (well that's almost true). In virtual cockpit when I used SHIFT+1 etc to bring up 2D popups I got a spinning cursor, stretched out popup gauges, and snail-like frame rates. Lots of others have had this same problem. There are workarounds but these must be done for each addon aircraft individually. If you search on these boards for George Trovato there's lots of info there. I believe he made a program which corrects this spinning cursor lark in all the default FSX planes.

Finally, it may be a problem which applies only to me, but my bezel-corrected resolutions were sometimes not retained and I had to re-configure these each time I ran FSX. I've got around the problem by saving my default flight in full screen, virtual cockpit mode.

Having said all that, I enjoy my full screen Surround views. I have managed to create 2D full screen surround views with popups for some addon aircraft, but that is another story.

Thank you for your advice! it is much appreciated. So, I should get a Display port to DVI adapter. I will plan on doing that. I took your advice and ordered two more monitors identical to the one i have now. Got those setup and LOVE them. Now, my last question: can a single GTX 680 run the Virtual Cockpit with 3 monitors in surround, each at 1920 X1080 and 60Hz with good FPS? Can your GTX 670 do this? Thanks for your help.

I run the GTX680 4Gb. At a bezel corrected 3880 by 1920 all sliders maxed with UT2 maxed I typically get around 16 fps with the NGX at UK2000 EGKK.

I bought the 4Gb card to be sure of avoiding out of grapgics memory errors which I used to get with the 1.5Gb GTX580 SLI. Not sure whether you get those problems with the 2Gb GTX680.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

If you are going to run uber high resolutions with Surround, it's best to go with a 4GB card. The higher the resolution, the more vram will be used. And yes, the 680 can run that resolution without a problem.

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Ok awesome! Thank you both for that info. Am I correct to say that the best way to boost fps is to tweak the CFG, maybe reduce some sliders, and over clock the CPU?

With 3 monitor setup , My rekommendation is the 680 i swapped My 670 4gb to 680 4gb better frames in clouds with the 680