Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Limited FPS Reduces Graphis Load

Something I never thought about until I was fiddling around. My FPS in Orbx Pacific NW were around 60fps. The Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) was at 99% and the fan was running at 80% of full speed to keep heat at 59c. Sort of noisy fan.

So on a whim I set FPS to 30fps using the program's internal limiter.. The GPU load dropped to 40% and the fan speed to 45% of max. I was not having any stutters or flashing before or after this change. If your GPU fan noise is annoying, or you are concerned about hi-temps, then reduced FPS may help.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Something I never thought about until I was fiddling around. My FPS in Orbx Pacific NW were around 60fps. The Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) was at 99% and the fan was running at 80% of full speed to keep heat at 59c. Sort of noisy fan.

So on a whim I set FPS to 30fps using the program's internal limiter.. The GPU load dropped to 40% and the fan speed to 45% of max. I was not having any stutters or flashing before or after this change. If your GPU fan noise is annoying, or you are concerned about hi-temps, then reduced FPS may help.

Right! But this is old news, read Word Not Allowed's Guide: it's all in there !

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

My problem with Limiting my FPS is that I seem to get less FPS when they are limited, don't know why.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

My problem with Limiting my FPS is that I seem to get less FPS when they are limited, don't know why.

+1 and micro stutters that are not there at 60FPS... Only time I do not maintain 60FPS is clouds anyway so why limit it all the time...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This is unintentionally funny. :)

Sorry

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sorry

Hook

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Here is something I found out that helped me with stutters especially with the737ngx side view from the cockpit. I´ve discovered that Rex and UTX were clashing the water textures. I disabled "WC Water class Layer" and performance went up a notch. Now my views are smooth in the Pmdg 737ngx and less stutters.

You can find the "WC Water class Layer" in the UTX control panel. Just expand the link Landclass/ Water class.

Also because of doing that, I´m now able to set water at 2x high and run traffic highway traffic at 10 percent in fsx. My framerates are locked at 30. Seems the only problem I´m having with Framerates is EDDF. Every version of flightsim I´ve owned I had performance problems just at that airport. I´m using the defualt for now and wouldn´t even think of payware.

George

Here is something I found out that helped me with stutters especially with the737ngx side view from the cockpit. I´ve discovered that Rex and UTX were clashing the water textures. I disabled "WC Water class Layer" and performance went up a notch. Now my views are smooth in the Pmdg 737ngx and less stutters.

You can find the "WC Water class Layer" in the UTX control panel. Just expand the link Landclass/ Water class.

Also because of doing that, I´m now able to set water at 2x high and run traffic highway traffic at 10 percent in fsx. My framerates are locked at 30. Seems the only problem I´m having with Framerates is EDDF. Every version of flightsim I´ve owned I had performance problems just at that airport. I´m using the defualt for now and wouldn´t even think of payware.

George

Isn't WaterClass like Landclass but for water...not just textures? I don't see how REX/UTX could ne fighting each other because REX is just Textures not WaterClass

Sorry

Hook

I meant that on Unlimited I get 33FP, if I lock it at 35FPS I get 25-27FPS.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Isn't WaterClass like Landclass but for water...not just textures? I don't see how REX/UTX could ne fighting each other because REX is just Textures not WaterClass

I meant that on Unlimited I get 33FP, if I lock it at 35FPS I get 25-27FPS.

I´ve just found that info out today through a google search I did. It works rather well and the water looks great.

Hi,

You can reduce the load on FSX by shutting down windows proceses and programs that you do not need running while running FSX.If you do this you will have to google the processes that are running to see if you can shut them down. You will gain more than you think. And run your sim @ 30FPS. Any more and you will load the system and have stutters in the sim video. You can run the task manerger and you see just what is running and you will be shocked. If you can get someone that can write a .bat file that will shut down what you did when running FSX. FSX is competeing with all of the prcesses that are running.

Les :hi:

I´ve just found that info out today through a google search I did. It works rather well and the water looks great.

Really...I will try it, thanks@!

Hi,

You can reduce the load on FSX by shutting down windows proceses and programs that you do not need running while running FSX.If you do this you will have to google the processes that are running to see if you can shut them down. You will gain more than you think. And run your sim @ 30FPS. Any more and you will load the system and have stutters in the sim video. You can run the task manerger and you see just what is running and you will be shocked. If you can get someone that can write a .bat file that will shut down what you did when running FSX. FSX is competeing with all of the prcesses that are running.

Les :hi:

Dont they have freeware programs that shut down all the garbage while youre playing games? I know they do, I just dont know the name and i dont trust just using any random one you know wjat i mean!

Ron Hamilton

...I seem to get less FPS when they are limited

By limited means you are asking FSX to make a look ahead buffer. If you watch the unlimited fps for the lowest value, then set that, you'll always have a look ahead frame in hand to display when the loading gets heavy and fails to complete a frame. Keeps things smoother, but appears to have halved the fps. I usually set limited to make the rain and snow look better anyway. Stutters are usually Ai aircraft, specially starting up on ATC or taking off\landing, having to load up too much scenery ahead, and other things going on, maybe on the network if you run programs remotely.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Really...I will try it, thanks@!

Dont they have freeware programs that shut down all the garbage while youre playing games? I know they do, I just dont know the name and i dont trust just using any random one you know wjat i mean!

I am unaware of a program that will stop "processes" ? I had a tech write a small program that will shut mine down. I diffidently know what you are talking about when you say you don't just want to just use a program at random. I would not do that myself. I have complete trust in this person, Paul J. which you might PM him?

Les

This might help, though I gon't use it:

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

FSX is designed to have frames locked below 40 (PTaylor). Unlocked was for testing. At defsult flight, the FPS jump ftom 45 to 75 unlocked. Locking FPS at 40 will stop the stutters generated by the jumping around. My lowest FPS is at KLGA tower view of 23. Locking at 30 is the best setting that has become the "gold standard" because it is also half the monitor refresh rate used in Nvidia Inspector.

Dave