Sign in to follow this  
CaptKornDog

Anyone have success with the NGX Paint Kit in PaintShop Pro?

Hello,

Has anyone been able to properly open the NGX paint kit in Corel PaintShop Pro X4? The PMDG site states the file is compatible with PSP, but when I try to open the master fuselage, my PSP separates all of the layers in different windows (not all layers in one display, it seems to open each layer as almost like a separate file until it eventually crashes after about 80 windows).

Would like to get my hands into some FSX painting to complement my FS9 downloads here on AVSIM.

Thank you.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have the same problem in x4 it would open each layer in a new window making it unusable. X5 refuses to open it altogether.

I have the same problem in x4 it would open each layer in a new window making it unusable. X5 refuses to open it altogether.

Thanks for the reply! Relieved I'm not the only one.

Or, conversely, does someone know how one can convert these files to open with Paint Shop Pro...or maybe PMDG can post a native Paint Shop Pro-compatible version? (Gimp doesn't seem to work with them properly, at least on my system, either).

You can buy old legit boxed copies of Photoshop 7, on ebay for about $60. It works perfectley well.

Or you could get somebody who does have Photoshop to save out the individual layers and alpha channels and PNGs or TIFF. Then with a bit of work put then layers back together in PSP.

Or, conversely, does someone know how one can convert these files to open with Paint Shop Pro...or maybe PMDG can post a native Paint Shop Pro-compatible version? (Gimp doesn't seem to work with them properly, at least on my system, either).

Before I switched to Photoshop, I remember doing my first repaints with GIMP. It's a mess because the GIMP version I had did not support layer organization in folders (I think that's on the list for version 2.8), but it worked nevertheless.

Other than that, I'd second the advice to legally shop around for some older, discounted version of Photoshop.

Dave P. Woycek

Well, I don't really desire to get Photoshop since I don't need two digital imaging suites. (Certainly not gonna drop the money just for one model's paint kit...paid enough for the Corel package I have).

Using GIMP, all of the shadow layers of at least the -700 become a whitewash and block out all of the windows, details, etc and my computer slows to a crawl (GIMP eventually crashes too).

For comparison, I downloaded the Photoshop 30 day trial and the master file opens just fine with decent performance. What version of GIMP are you using? Or I suppose I have 29 days to do all of my NGX repainting.

Using GIMP, all of the shadow layers of at least the -700 become a whitewash and block out all of the windows, details, etc and my computer slows to a crawl (GIMP eventually crashes too).

For comparison, I downloaded the Photoshop 30 day trial and the master file opens just fine with decent performance. What version of GIMP are you using? Or I suppose I have 29 days to do all of my NGX repainting.

I'm using the second to last stable version, had it for a while, but I'm not sure of it's actual version, or how to check it

This may be a stupid question but are you using the NVIDIA plugin?

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

I'm using the second to last stable version, had it for a while, but I'm not sure of it's actual version, or how to check it

This may be a stupid question but are you using the NVIDIA plugin?

Which NVIDIA plugin explicitly? I use a handful.

Or does anyone know how to convert this to a tif or tga with layers in tact, that are loadable, by Paint Shop Pro?

Thanks.

I know spending more money is not always possible, but Adobe has month-to-month subscription plans for Photoshop now. That may be worth looking into for short term use.

Chris Hicks