Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I think I got it.  Yesterday, I configured all of the axes and they worked just fine.  I then started a flight, loaded everything that I want to use to fly with;  Plan-G, Active Sky, EZDOK, FSINN, and got on the internet as I was flying, and all axes worked, however, I lost the yoke buttons sometime during this test flight.  I then configured my yoke buttons through FSUIPC and didn't lose a thing.  So, as a few members have mentioned a few times on this forum, if you use FSUIPC to configure your joysticks, you won't have a problem.  So far it's working for me....

I've had the registered version of FSUIPC for a few years (maybe since it was first created by Pete) and never used it for the purpose of configuring joysticks.  Boy, I think I've been missing something, because now I don't have problems with the dead zone in my brake pedals either.  I guess with all the other versions of Windows, and never had a problem with my controls, I just didn't need to use FSUIPC, but with Windows 8, I do. 

Thanks goes to all the forum members who convinced me to configure my yoke and pedals with FSUIPC.

Rod

Rod Beck

I can't believe this thread is still going at this rate.

Register your controls with FSUIPC, Disable your joystick in FSX menu = 100% reliable joystick availability. 

This works for me however FSX randomly re-enables my controllers in the menu.  I have to include a check of the Enable Controller checkbox as part of my preflight.

Does anyone have a method to disable the damn controller for good?

Greg,

I left my controls enabled in FSX.  All I did was delete all axes and button controls in the "settings/controls" menu within FSX, and not having any problems.  Have you tried that?

Rod

Rod Beck

I did more searching on the internet and I found out that its not just FSX and its not just joystick hardware; I found out gamepads and other controllers are having issues and the games lose the hardware and most of the time you can't get it back like you can with FSX.  These were resolved by downloading a .dll for some people this worked; and I thought this worked for me too but nope still the same issues. 

But here's what I did find out though; and I think the .dll is partially working maybe I don't know it seems like it is and at the same time it seems like its not.  I noticed that when I first run FSX the joystick does fine after the first flight or at least the attention span is a lot longer and starts to shorten after each subsequent loss of the stick by FSX over and over until it happens every time you switch apps, etc. This can be resolved by restarting the FS again at some point and the same result will happen each time. 

There are no easy tutorials on how to setup the joystick in FSUIPC so I refuse to do it, its not as simple as people say it is. Microsoft needs to stop being stupid, if win8 was truly meant to be for touch screens then they shouldn't have offered it to desktop users so that they wouldn't have this problem; and then they need to stop punishing us for a product we warned them not to produce (aka MS Flight) which was a failed flop. 

• Upvote 1

Barbs, 

yes I've tried that tutorial, works great for CH yoke, I tried following it; note its also for the very OLD FSUIPC3 the GUI isn't even the same. 

Barbs, 

yes I've tried that tutorial, works great for CH yoke, I tried following it; note its also for the very OLD FSUIPC3 the GUI isn't even the same. 

I agree.  It lost me, so I just experimented and got 'em configured.  I need to write my own instructions soon as I'm going to forget what I did...ha.

Rod

Rod Beck

I agree.  It lost me, so I just experimented and got 'em configured.  I need to write my own instructions soon as I'm going to forget what I did...ha.

Rod

If you're using the latest FSUIPC and you are going to write one; you won't mind sharing your instructions? Perhaps include screenshots as well? 

Ah right yeah sorry,

It was probably 3 years ago that I followed it.

Hey guys

Could someone tell me how to disable the controller without loosing connection to FSUIPC? Whenever I uncheck the box "Enable Controllers" in the controlls tab, FSUIPC doesn't register any input. I have had my FSX running well even with the box checked for quite some time now but everyonce in a while I get the disconnection. I was also messing with the FSUIPC.ini file in the modules folder of the fsx main directory. I found that there was a line under general titled 'JoystickTimeout=20' and I have been messing with that number. I don't know if it has worked yet because I don't get the disconnection very often but maybe someone else can try it and see if that works for them.

Thanks

SimPilot7227

I disabled the controllers and had the same problem w/FSUIPC as you. So, I left the controllers enabled, when into the Control menu, in FSX, deleted all the axes and button assignments, went back into FSUIPC, configured them, and it worked just fine. Prior to doing this, I also changed the "JoystickTimeout=xx" to different settings, however, my controllers were still disconnecting. Once I configured them in FSUIPC I have not had any problems.

Hope you get it figured out.

Rod

Rod Beck

Have anyone tried windows 8.1 yet? Any improvements?

I was originally going to load the Win 8.1 "preview" to a separate partition, but then I read numerous posts that FSX would crash under 8.1. Now I've read that with the most recent Win 8.1 updates, FSX won't even start. At least that saves you from a CTD.

• Upvote 1