Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I have the same issue. This is not to do with USB power or fsuipc but some issue fsx has with windows 8. Many folk are downgrading to windows 7. I'm considering it too...it's a bummer but I can't stand doing a 3 hour flight for BAV and then the yoke stops responding 20 seconds before landing...and as you say, the only always is to restart fsx. Sometimes the yoke restarts if I minimise fsx a few time but this is so hit and miss. Getting v tired of this issue so considering downgrading...

I have the same issue. This is not to do with USB power or fsuipc but some issue fsx has with windows 8. Many folk are downgrading to windows 7. I'm considering it too...it's a bummer but I can't stand doing a 3 hour flight for BAV and then the yoke stops responding 20 seconds before landing...and as you say, the only always is to restart fsx. Sometimes the yoke restarts if I minimise fsx a few time but this is so hit and miss. Getting v tired of this issue so considering downgrading...

Unfortunately FSX isn't the only game having issues; so this is definitely a hardware handling issue by the OS; what I am surprised about though is that FS9 works just fine and has no issues with the joystick dropping. 

The fact that FS9 seems to work OK may point to a) FS9 has more robust reconnect code or possibly b) it is related to a thread processing / timing difference.  The answer then is to find that difference and try to implement a fix via simmconnect.

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thing is that how windows 8 handles controllers is different from win7. There are many cooperative layers for controllers and fsx is using controllers in foreground mode which will release controllers when focus is shifted.

Thing is that how windows 8 handles controllers is different from win7. There are many cooperative layers for controllers and fsx is using controllers in foreground mode which will release controllers when focus is shifted.

I don't see how that's possible since this plaguing problem is mostly in win8 (yes there have been reports of stick disconnects within FSX in win7 but its not as prominent as win8) and not only that as crazy as it sounds SOME people STILL play FSX on winXP and they have NO issues of this kind whatsoever so that tells me that the joystick works fine in the background AS WELL AS foreground. 

Also your statement isn't entirely true, I can use my joystick in the background (when FSX isn't in focus) in win8 only for a limited time obviously I can actually manipulate flaps, hat POV buttons and I can adjust trim and activate spoilers as if it were all in the foreground because those buttons were assigned to those key commands in FSX so foreground/background doesn't hold much water as I have actually used my stick in both situations when it does work. 

I agree with you... the problem is related directly to Windows 8.

But no need to downgrade to Windows 7 !!!!

If you program correctly joystick or yoke by FSUIPC, you solve every problem about the disconnection.

Inside of this post this is explained more times.....

I play with Windows 8 using FSUIPC since 7 months ago, and I don't have any problem about it !

Well ofcourse its related to win8, didnt you read my post? Its how FSX communicates with directx and controller management. In win8 controller management is different but it doesnt mean its completely broken. FS9 and and lots of other games/sims work just fine. Its FSX and few others that are coded in the way that was suitable for previous OSs but are having problem with new controller managemen in win8.

Hi Guys,

Lets not get into an argument of who is right or wrong - this thread is simply about being able to solve this issue.  Leave the egos aside please.  

I've tried prgramming the joystick through FSUIPC 4 and I still get issues with something disconnecting the yoke.  I know it is not power/hardware related but rather software related...

As the FSUIPC solution - best answer until now - doesn't work either, there seems nothing we can do to eliminate the problem. :-/ Should the solution come from Microsoft? Is there a way to make them take this problem serious?

Jos

well so far there's no real hope for win8 users; we know that FS9 works well in win8 I'm really considering going back to FS9 despite how much money I've already spent on FSX for two reasons: 

Stability and performance is degrading on FSX 

and #2 reason is the fact there is no official support from Microsoft on this matter; its not just FSX, and its not just Logitech 3D Pro 

And now the developer of FSXAssist is holding off until 8.1 which could be a long while (again severely degrading my trust in Microsoft because THEY KNOW this is a chronic issue and its not getting fixed yet). I'm not expecting very much at this point, I may just write this whole thing off. 

The latest version of FSXAssist 1.08 is said to fix the issue, http://skypilot.biz/home/documents/readme.html

I have not tested it myself.

That would be wonderful news!

Jos

1.08 is Beta and its on hold according to the developer until Win 8.1 goes Gold as win8.1 is now preview/beta unfortunately we have to hold out, and by then I probably will no longer need this app because A) I will either have switched to win7 or B) I will not be using FSX anymore. 

Great! The dev says having the solution but puts it on hold until win8.1 will be released???

What can be the reason for such a strategy?

Jos