Sign in to follow this  
catchman

Advice Wanted Before Purchase: Captainsim 727 v. Coolsky DC-9

I've made myself a little pro/con sheet but I would like some input from anyone who owns either model. Would you do it again or would you purchase the other product?

727 Pro

• 100/200/Cargo Models
  • Many exterior animations
  • Longer range + more pax
  • Less heavy on frames the the DC-9?
  • On sale for $9.99

727 Con

• Older model
  • Failure simulation/wear and tear not as well depicted
  • bugs...(though I do have Acceleration)
  • Doesn't seem to be supported anymore

So what do you guys think?

I don't own the Coolsky DC-9 (yet, I may) but i can comment on some of the items on your list about the 727.

I agree with all your pros except the frame rate hit, which I can't address. The 727 is a moderate hit to me, worse than default but not as heavy as the NGX or the Maddog.

On the cons, it is chronologically an older model but I don't think there are any serious defects with it. It's a very sharp looking cockpit interior that looks well-used and for me it feels like being there.

For failures and wear, etc, that's not modeled at all. It's just like default airplanes in that sense, it's perfect and won't fail...except for its own bugs...

And speaking of bugs if you just want to take it for pleasure jaunts to experience VOR navigation, etc you shouldn't have too many problems as long as you have Acceleration and don't mind re-loading it once to get the sounds to work.

But if authenticity means a lot to you (or you fly this thing day in and day out like I sometimes do for realistic flights) you'll need to cruise the 727 Captain support forum and pick up the user tweaks and fixes including upgrades to the FDE and some systems. I know, I did the pressurization fix.

If you're willing to do that, the 727 at 10 EUR is an incredible bargain for a great airplane that just wasn't ever completely finished by its developers. I enjoy it. (Hmm, what's my user name?)

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Pulled the trigger on the Coolsky. First thought: resisting the urge to use the refund option. I downloaded all four service packs and I can't even load the plane without an error. This is ridiculous. I can run the NGX at heavy airports with large amounts of AI but I can't get this DC-9 to run. Took a look at their forums and it seems like they still haven't figured out why this error happens much less how to fix it.

I think Coolsky might want to postpone sales until the issue is resolved.

Anthony Cacciatore

Pulled the trigger on the Coolsky. First thought: resisting the urge to use the refund option. I downloaded all four service packs and I can't even load the plane without an error. This is ridiculous. I can run the NGX at heavy airports with large amounts of AI but I can't get this DC-9 to run. Took a look at their forums and it seems like they still haven't figured out why this error happens much less how to fix it.

I think Coolsky might want to postpone sales until the issue is resolved.

Sorry, I know that's a bummer, but you ultimately had to check it out for yourself I guess..... :unsure:

FIrst off, get the CS 727. If you're even thinking about it you'll like it and at $9.99 or whatever who cares? But then you have to get the CoolSky DC-9 too. They're similar and very different but complimentary and if you're into old stuff you'll love it.

Didn't even know they had a service pack and mine works like a charm. The vagaragies of FSX...

They are paying you 10 dollars now to buy the 727? :lol: Thanks for the heads up man, but I think I'm still going to have to pass.

I have had mercifully few issues with the DC. Only the occasional, short lived graphical corruptions (with no service pack betas applied). I too have concerns about the livery arrangement, but sucked it up and got a couple of the UHDT ones. I like how the 72 looks, and don't mind how it flies. But if I could only fly one, it would be the DC without question.

Also, noticed that the 727 is constantly $29 at Frys and is the same price from Captainsim during the sale - you have to buy all three block s (assuming you want all models) at $10.

I'll just wait for a rainy day when I have more time before I pick it up. For now, I'd like to figure out the source of these "can't load" errors. So you guys are running it mostly without the beta patches?

Anthony Cacciatore

I have been happily flying the DC-9 without issues from day 1, many others as well. There are users that report graphical issues but the can't load error is not that common. Have you tried the Flight1 safe startup file ? these errors often occurs when the startup situation is not right. It's free and you can get it here: http://www.flight1software.com/files/FSXSafeStartup.exe

Also go here and read all the reviews : http://www.coolsky.no/

b rdgs Dick

Also, noticed that the 727 is constantly $29 at Frys and is the same price from Captainsim during the sale - you have to buy all three block s (assuming you want all models) at $10.

I'll just wait for a rainy day when I have more time before I pick it up. For now, I'd like to figure out the source of these "can't load" errors. So you guys are running it mostly without the beta patches?

Don't forget that the DC-9 is only one model as well, the DC-9-30 with JT8D-7 engines. I have no idea what Espen is planning with regards to future expansions or "blocks" in Captainsim-speak. There may or may not be future expansions and they might cost more money as well.

I have the latest beta patch because I like the new low poly VC and the increase in FPS that comes with it. I was lucky that I experienced only minor issues with the DC-9.

Captainsim's 727 is $9.99 for only 24 hours and IMO it's cheap enough that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Totally agree. If the OP acts today, he should not be tormented with a difficult decision Coolsky vs CS727. You can have them both.

Shamelessly grabbed 5 CS aircraft today (777, 737, 707, 727, and C130) with view to give them the voice control treatment in the coming year. It's a steal.

5 flawless installations and gorgeous VCs (FSX, dual core CPU)).

High quality models that load in the preview without turning into skeletons.

Thank you Captain Sim

I've heard a few folks mention that - what's the deal - no paint kit - or - are we prohibited from releasing paints ? Seems pretty dumb to me because half the enjoyment of this hobby if either painting what you want or finding the paint in a library that you want to fly... So McPhat is the only way to get paints - that would probably equal a "no sale" for me as well...

Regards,

Scott

Just to clear up some things. At the moment we are holding off a release of the paintkit, because we are trying to fix some components of our site to make sure that the site does not crush under its own load. So we want everything to work fine before we start facilitating the paintkit of the DC-9-30.

With the paintkit you are allowed to paint and release (Using the .dds textures that you get from us, either as a free download or payware texture package, is NOT allowed). So no uncommon restrictions on the paints: Paint as much as you want and distribute for your fellow simmers, only restriction is that you are not allowed to sell our work.

Thanks for touching base about the repaint package. Hopefully when the holidays are over we'll have some creative repaints and a real SP for the DC-9. Until that gets sorted out she's going to remain a hangar queen. While it is utterly frustrating right now, I can see the diamond in the rough.

Anthony Cacciatore

Just to clear up some things. At the moment we are holding off a release of the paintkit, because we are trying to fix some components of our site to make sure that the site does not crush under its own load. So we want everything to work fine before we start facilitating the paintkit of the DC-9-30.

With the paintkit you are allowed to paint and release (Using the .dds textures that you get from us, either as a free download or payware texture package, is NOT allowed). So no uncommon restrictions on the paints: Paint as much as you want and distribute for your fellow simmers, only restriction is that you are not allowed to sell our work.

The DC-9 has quickly become my favorite FS aircraft and I appreciate all of the hard work that was put into it by Coolsky and McPhat. However, the paintkit situation is ridiculous. We have had two separate release timeframes come and go, and the above is the third different excuse I have read. While it is not the end of the world (that's reserved for the 21st), it is frustrating; I enjoy painting and sharing those paints. Besides, what does your website infrastructure have to do with the kit? McPhat has taken the stance that the kit is part of the DC-9 and Coolksy's responsibility, shouldn't they be the ones distributing it on coolsky.no? Again, I appreciate what has been done, but hasn't this gone on long enough? You already have a kit, just release it....