Sign in to follow this  
Rob Reev

The ULTIMATE Tweak?

I think the best tweak is the highmemfix=1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

And the answer is.... a GTX580! ^_^ I always and only buy nVidia cards, specially for FSX.

I use a GTX580 too, but 0 pools creates mayhem in my FSX... I think the ACES guys must have been into voodoo or something.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I use a GTX580 too, but 0 pools creates mayhem in my FSX... I think the ACES guys must have been into voodoo or something.

Do you have water at at least 2x High? Bufferpools with lower water settings will give a lot of artifacts.

Do you have water at at least 2x High? Bufferpools with lower water settings will give a lot of artifacts.

I agree...Found this to be an absolute requirement with the [bUFFERPOOLS] Poolsize=0 option.

No, I don't like those artifical reflections of clouds (makes the ocean look like a still lake on a summer's evening - with waves on top), so I only run at 2x Low. Thanks for the head's up though. That explains the mayhem. :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

By setting water at 2x High. Does it eliminate the constant flashes? I reverted back to using RejectThreshold=262144 due to constant flashes in FSX!

my system

Windows 7 64 bit :-)

Yes, I'm aware that FSX is a 32 bit app...not sure why I posted that, only wanted to show that I was running Win 7 rather than XP.....The 64bit just seemed to naturally follow.... :-)

"Do you have water at at least 2x High? Bufferpools with lower water settings will give a lot of artifacts" Jeroen just tried bufferpools = 0 and getting flashes outside view only water 1st notch 2x so any ideas why this would be happening see my pc specs, tons of HP seems much better without bp=0 any suggestions of an alternative I am now using stock fsx.cfg with 3 big changes thats all, this being a new system still searching for best setup - oh fps set at 30 fps in fsx menu.

Rich Sennett

I have tried Word Not Allowed's settings (both FSX.cfg and the Nvidia Inspector sparse grid supersampling), but with all my addon scenery, the NGX, and 100% AI, and most importantly, my "1st gen" i7 930/480 GTX system, performance is less than optimal at heavy fps areas like NY or Miami. In less sparse areas, the IQ looks excellent, especially the water at 2xhigh, but in certain scenarios I have seen high single digit fps, specifically the new LatinVFR KMIA. As a test at KMIA, I saved a situation at KMIA after exiting the runway, and reverted to my pre-Word Not Allowed tweak settings, using the ******* cfg and Tabs Nvidia Inspector settings, and my FPS on the ground at LatinVFR KMIA improved into the low teens.

Now, I actually had a virus infect my PC, so I have been forced to rebuild my OS and FSX from scratch, and for now, I am going back to the original guru's settings, using NickN's settings (with some of the newer must have tweaks of course, like Highmemfix) and Tabs Nvidia Inspector. KISS, right?

I suspect I'm going to get the best performance from this basic setup, and I may upgrade my cfg to the ******* tweaks, but here is my own interpretation of the 3 main cfg tweaks by the 3 authors.

NickN - best for low end or older systems.

******* - good for medium to high end systems, and 1st gen "Nehalem" i7 like my i7 930/GTX 480.

Word Not Allowed - optimal for 2nd/3rd gen i7 only, like the Sandy and Ivy bridges, coupled with the newer gen Nvidia cards.

This is only my opinion, but I found the new Word Not Allowed tweaks really are geared towards the Sandy and Ivy bridge crowd.

Many thanks Rob.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

A few days ago i did this test:

1. I took my current scrupulous Word Not Allowed-tuned FSX.cfg and removed or disabled all Word Not Allowed advices and kept HIGHMEMFIX only.

So: Removed/Disabled:

No more ForceWindowedVsync

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to default 1024

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to default 0.33

No Usepools=0

No Affinity mask=14

LOD_RADIUS to default 4.500000.

Kept:

Framerate locked inside to 30

HIGHMEMFIX=1

> With NvidiaInspector: no changes: kept the same settings (See Word Not Allowed's site)

2. I let FSX make a new FSX.cfg and compared it with my now Word Not Allowed-tunings-free one to be sure that no other relevant things were changed.

So now i had the exact same situation and FSX settings in both files.

3. Now i did fly my ususal testscenario:

My Carenado Beech Baron 58: flying low and close along a steep hill in the valley above the Lugano lake in Switzerland, in side SPOTview, a place were my 29-30 frames usually drop to 27-28.

Testresult after flying 5 times this scenario with each FSX.cfg:

Using FSX.cfg with all the Word Not Allowed tuning: small drop to: 27-28 and a little microstutter.

Using same FSX.cfg without the Word Not Allowed tunings: drop to 22-23 and much more and bigger stutters !

So i stay with the Word Not Allowed settings for my rig, cause i never found any better !

http://#####...hardware-guide/

Intel I5 2500K overclocked @ 4.3

8 GB RAM

GTX 570 DCII 1.28 GB

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

Intel SSD-320 160 Gb (for Win 7 and FSX)

WD Caviar Black 1 Tb

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64 bit

Flight Environment X, Ultimate Terrain X Europe, Ground Environment X Europe

NickN - best for low end or older systems.

******* - good for medium to high end systems, and 1st gen "Nehalem" i7 like my i7 930/GTX 480.

Word Not Allowed - optimal for 2nd/3rd gen i7 only, like the Sandy and Ivy bridges, coupled with the newer gen Nvidia cards.

Right, but don't underestimate the i5 2500K or 2600K neither:

https://docs.google....=CMSSocoI#gid=0

No, I don't like those artifical reflections of clouds (makes the ocean look like a still lake on a summer's evening - with waves on top), so I only run at 2x Low. Thanks for the head's up though. That explains the mayhem. :)

In that case I think you should give FS Water Configurator a try: you can change various aspects of the water, amongst others the reflections. So you can for instance use water at 2x high but without the artificial reflections. (Of course things will still be rendered and hence prevent the artifacts but you won't see them. Haven't tried this myself but it's worth a shot.)

Guest Raul_Hernandez

So many of these threads at the moment! :lol:

As I've said before, the only essential one for FSX is [HIGHMEMFIX], everything else depends on hardware and software config.