Sign in to follow this  
Murfman

J. Rollon Jetstream

Hi, Walt90,

I am with X-Aviation and would be happy to answer your questions.

We are a publisher located in the USA and have been in operation since 2008. There are numerous topics here with interaction and opinions about our products, including this thread (see the replies below first post) where quite a number of fellow avsim users have chimed in about the service we provide to our customers.

If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to address your concerns! :smile:

Thank you Cameron.

I'm looking at a purchase but the manual's intro sure has a good bit of issues to consider.

Just read the manual myself. Javier certainly writes in a very distinctive and charming way! I'm tempted to offer to revise his manuals, to correct some spellings and expressions, perhaps in exchange for a copy of the aircraft... I'm a bit short of cash at the moment.

I have one crushing disappointment: this is a British aircraft, yet all the text on the instrument panels is UPPER CASE. This is the universal American practice, but some British aircraft from the 50s-70s period would use lowercase and it was very distinctive and characterful! Perhaps it was only De Havilland who did this. I have no doubt Javier's modelling is correct - the fault belongs with Handley-Page, the Jetstream's original designers!

More seriously, the requirement to load a different aircraft before exiting X-Plane is very unusual. I thought it was possible to override the flight controls without losing the joystick axis bindings - I've done this myself, but not in an aircraft which uses the default autopilot.

Also, it is absolutely essential to offer a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. Potential buyers like yourself, Walt90, who are considering purchase but are concerned about issues which might or might not exist, are more likely to buy if there's a money-back guarantee. A user who's paid $30 for a product which they can't use is an unhappy user who won't buy the next product and who will moan on the forums. Telling them they can still use the product in the future when they've upgraded their computer will not make them happy! This isn't my opinion, I got it from Joel Spolsky, who writes a lot about software development. He has this guarantee on all his company's products.

I laughed out loud at the 'COPILOT TO TOILET' button! Also it's good to see an aircraft where the doors and windows don't open when the fuselage is pressurised - often this is overlooked.

Thank you Cameron.

I'm looking at a purchase but the manual's intro sure has a good bit of issues to consider.

Hi, Walt90,

Javier (main developer) wrote the manual and one of our first steps is re-doing the text to proper English. He has a fun personality in the X-Plane community, so many of the people enjoy reading these prior to revision. If that's your concern, coming from the outside I can understand. It's temporary but there. He lives in Spain and English is not his first language.

We have dedicated support forums on X-Pilot where we are very attentive to tech support if you're also concerned there. Of course, you may also feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to assist!

Founder of X-Aviation

one of our first steps is re-doing the text to proper English

Awww. That's me out of a holiday job then! ;)

I bought it yesterday and I'm not going to comment on the systems simulation or anything like that. I haven't flown it enough for that.

But I have to say initial impressions are that the graphics are a bit of a let down. Compared to Carenado (and yes, I like eye candy, so sue me :-)) the cockpit looks washed out. I'm running in 1980 resolution, extreme res in X-plane.

and haven't had the time (or, to be honest, inclination) to install Linux yet.

Doouhh, you're missing the best. :P

Hang on - the source code needs to be altered for 64-bit? I don't know that, but I haven't got XP10 or a 64-bit computer so I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I thought the source code stays the same, it just needs to be compiled with a 64-bit compiler.

You are more or less correct: http://www.xsquawkbo...ediawiki/64_Bit

Having spent some time recently with XPLM API, i was surprised how easy it was to build a 64-bit version of a plugin - just changing compiler target format did it. Not a single line in the source needed alteration.

Regards,

Radek

Having spent some time recently with XPLM API, i was surprised how easy it was to build a 64-bit version of a plugin - just changing compiler target format did it. Not a single line in the source needed alteration.

Well, that's the case for nearly all switches from 32 to 64 bit programs. In reality their are only very few distinct functions where you really have to address 64 bit values directly. In most cases some structure values and pointers change their types but this is only work for the compiler.

Even if you have to change a few lines you do this one time on one plattform and then it is already done for all other plattforms. The biggest problem for a new plkattform is more in the way how the compiler must be set up. Once the programs have switched they will no longer need any special care.

In fact I presume that many developers start to code directly in 64 bit and let the compiler take care of the 32 bit versions. They will work automatically when the 64 bit versions are working. I observed this at my work, where we had to support the ancient Alpha plattforms that were using 64 bit for a very long time, so there were no problems when Linux, Windows and Mc OS X switched to 64 bit.

Instead the number of crash reports due to exhausted memory will drop significantly, so you have fewer support calls.

Had a quick question...might make new topic, but it relates to this product. The aircraft rolls to to the right after takeoff unless I trim ailerons to the left all the way which is unrealistic. I don't understand why this happens on some planes. The Q400 does the same thing. Any suggestions if any and does this happen to anyone else with this AC? Thanks :)

Best, Jeff

I guess that a very basic parameter in Planemaker may solve this, something to do with the clockwise and counter clockwise prop movement in engine section (I'm no expert) cancels the too much torque effect.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Alexander Colka

Had a quick question...might make new topic, but it relates to this product. The aircraft rolls to to the right after takeoff unless I trim ailerons to the left all the way which is unrealistic. I don't understand why this happens on some planes. The Q400 does the same thing. Any suggestions if any and does this happen to anyone else with this AC? Thanks :)

Best, Jeff

Jeff,

The proper support forums for this product are here: http://forums.x-pilo...e-jetstream-32/

This aircraft has CCW props in sim and in real life, which is the reasoning for the right roll. The manual will explain this.

Quote removed by Spiritflyer

Making modifications to the product goes against the license as does posting info on how to do so. Please do not make these types of suggestions. An edit of your post would be appreciated. For more information please see section 15 of the terms on X-Aviation.

Any mods are not condoned and will break functionality within the plugin itself. Please do not do this to spare yourselves a headache. :smile:

Founder of X-Aviation

Thanks so much Cameron. Yes, after doing a little bit of web searching, I found the X-pilot forum and I saw a post about aileron trim settings. I'll do more study and thanks again. Thought maybe it was just my setup.

Best, Jeff

Try this:

Yup.

As Cameron pointed out X-Aviation terms & conditions do not allow you to make any modifications, even if only for your personal use. :lol:

I learned it the hard way, by showing Javier (the author) a fix i made myself to get rid of a major bug with Flight Director, including my own C code to solve the problem.

Potential customers of X-Aviation and JRollon's Jetstream might want to see my conversation with Javier on the support forums: http://forums.x-pilo...me-suggestions/

"Custom simulated systems to mimic the real aircraft." and "More than 4000 lines of systems code." marketing slogans doesn't tell you all the truth.

Regards,

Radek

Roll to the right on takeoff is NOT realistic. Normal takeoff with aileron trim neutral should yield absolutely no problems if it's realism they are after. I'm kind of confused about the developing point of view, as they claim some features have been implemented to be more realistic, but then some others are totally unrealistic and it's claimed to be done to give 'more of a challenge' or because it looks cool.

Things like HYD shutoff and LP cocks being off on start and listed in the shutdown checklist. In realistic operations, these would almost never be closed unless testing on the first flight of the day. Or the wire antenna that runs from the fuselage to the tail. It's present on something like one in thirty aircraft in real life, but there won't be a version without it, because it look cool with the shadow and everything -_-.

As Cameron pointed out X-Aviation terms & conditions do not allow you to make any modifications, even if only for your personal use. :lol:

I learned it the hard way, by showing Javier (the author) a fix i made myself to get rid of a major bug with Flight Director, including my own C code to solve the problem.

Well, snap. I don't know how long that clause has been in the ToS but I've been making and posting modifications to X-A aircraft for years without realising it was a breach. (Maybe it wasn't a breach if the ToS were different when I purchased. No-one's complained... yet.) I'll go clean up my uploads.

Very sad to see that clause there. I expect permission to modify aircraft beyond 'factory standard' condition and the presence of this clause presents a major disincentive to buy. (Disclaimer: I don't buy many aircraft anyway, not many run on my ancient PC, so I don't expect this statement to dismay any publishers.)