Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Is stable accelerated flight a PMDG 777 design criteria?

scandinavian13

What so you do in your long haul flights just sit there watching the sim for 15 hours?

Also when I fly the NGX I do all the planning startup takeoff and climb and during cruise just fool around on my mac but any cruise over an hour in length ill be x2 or x4 as I just don't want to sit there watching the blue era go past haha :)

Happy flying

scandinavian13

What so you do in your long haul flights just sit there watching the sim for 15 hours?

I thought I'd posted what I've done since I started using the sim in this thread, but I'm guessing it's in the step climb thread.

Once I'm at cruise and everything looks good, I'll make note of the S/C or T/D time, and take care of business around the house until just prior to that time. I'll check back in periodically to see how things look. It's akin to sitting up front and reading a book, or otherwise passing the time up front, checking how things look from time to time. The only difference is that my house doesn't have a cleaning crew, and I have the option of cleaning the house while at cruise without disturbing passengers.

I actually used long flights in college to keep me off of my computer when I needed to do written homework, or do some reading. Since my computer could only really barely handle FS, I was forced to leave the sim alone (no letting it run in the background - never worked) and go do my work. I racked up a ton of hours in a VA flying at a normal sim rate, and actually being in close proximity to my computer.

Kyle Rodgers

So what's the difference between leaving your sim and speeding it up a bit?

Last I checked, pilots do read, talk to other people, and get up and walk around on longer flights (to include sleeping, if it's a longer flight with multiple crew members). That would support my case of getting up and tending to other items. What? Did you expect me to keep a stock of airline food next to my computer, too?

Last I checked, a flux capacitor still doesn't exist, and time can neither be increased nor decreased in rate. This would not support your case.

That make a little more sense?

Kyle Rodgers

In the thread you said if you can't do it in a Cessna you don't do it in a sim so why do you leave the sim in not monitored?

Emirates operates a lot of short haul flights with the 777 such as Dubai(OMDB/DXB) to Beirut(OLBA/BEY)

In the thread you said if you can't do it in a Cessna you don't do it in a sim so why do you leave the sim in not monitored?

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling me to irritate me, but I'm always up for a good debate:

I said if I can't do it in a Cessna (or whatever I happen to be flying that day) I won't do it in the sim because I don't want to pick up bad habits. The example I normally give (can't remember if I used it there or not) is when I was on my long solo XC flight. As I was passing by ROA on the BCB-OKV leg, I figured I should check my altimeter setting. Instead of thinking to tune to the ATIS at ROA, my first thought was to hit the 'b' key, which alas, a Cessna 152 does not have.

It is not physically possible for me to leave the deck of a small plane that I'm flying, you're correct. A real flight has a lot more justification to remain in that seat the whole time than does a simulated one, however. Additionally, you'll find that I'm right in front of my computer for the flight more often than not, as I probably have my work computer on the desk behind me, listening in to VATSIM ATC for my next instruction, or as I mentioned earlier, reading a book.

Crews don't sit on the deck for 14 hours. On long flights, it's perfectly acceptable to get up and do other things. This is why 777s have crew rest areas.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm kit trolling or trying to annoy just you seem to have a lot of hatred for time acceleration and just trying to understand why there are many many things unrealistic with simming and IMO it's a brilliant feature for getting more interesting flying into your available time.

Nothing I said was to provoke or annoy apologies if I did.

Happy flying

Nothing I said was to provoke or annoy apologies if I did.

No apologies needed. No offense was taken. I just wasn't sure where you were coming from.

Kyle Rodgers

I too am a realist. I fly my flights, both short and long haul, in real time...on VATSIM. The long flights, clearly, can't happen all the time, but every month or so, I'd take a day and go fly. The challenge as you are going along are 1- planning the flight and 2-executing the flight and operating it as close to the plan as possible. If ATC is online, so much the better, but there are things we do to keep ourselves occupied and rarely do you find me staring at the computer screen 12 hours a day...although I could...since I do this 10 hrs per day anyway in my job as a dispatcher. Ten hour flights woudl be no problem for me...but not everyday...clearly.

Dave Lamb

FAA Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

Captain (BAW141), British Airways Virtual

Proud Owner: 744X/747-8/737NGX/JS41/MD11 and future 777X owner.

i'm an unrepentant accelerator.

it's rare that i have more than 3-4 hours that i don't need my computer for something else or have other commitments. but i do enjoy the detailed planning that is required for longer trips with regards to step climbs or more widely varying weather conditions.

in a way it is more 'realistic' because i'm actually monitoring the aircraft during the entire duration of the flight.

and anyway,.. it's not very realistic that i'm solo flying a 737 with zero actual flight training and a beer next to my joystick either. but well, here we are lol.

cheers,

-andy crosby

in a way it is more 'realistic' because i'm actually monitoring the aircraft during the entire duration of the flight.

and anyway,.. it's not very realistic that i'm solo flying a 737 with zero actual flight training and a beer next to my joystick either. but well, here we are lol.

...and you're welcome to resolve your cognitive dissonance through making that justification.

Kyle Rodgers

Once I'm at cruise and everything looks good, I'll make note of the S/C or T/D time, and take care of business around the house until just prior to that time. I'll check back in periodically to see how things look. It's akin to sitting up front and reading a book, or otherwise passing the time up front, checking how things look from time to time.

It is nice to hear that I am monitoring cruise similarly—I thought many would consider this style not involved enough. When you fly offline, how often do you simulate diversions, failures, holdings, etc. (i.e., real-world inefficiencies that offline FSX pilots have the luxury of choosing to simulate)? 

when you fly offline, how often do you simulate diversions, failures, holdings, etc

Failures I set up when I feel like it, diversions because of those failures and every now and then "sick pax". Holding I simulate once in evey three or four flights, I know that RW pilots probably have to hold on almost every flight, but the sim has to have some advantages!