Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

BP=0 and locked frame rate.

As far as i know 25 and above fps u cant see the diffrence since our eyes cant see it , but in fsx i guess u will because there is always stutters at some point.

Seems you didn't read my posts above. As I said... I tried the refresh rate settings, it didn't work, dropping locked frame rate did.

As I said, you won't be up to speed unless you read my posts. Water is high! Frame rate locked at 50 works.

Rather than a good balance with locked frame rate, for BP=0... anything less than locked at 60 clears up artifacts for me.

Refresh rate settings are not supposed to fix flashing textures. If you get flashing textures it's because of other settings. Like water or tbm setting too high.

As far as i know 25 and above fps u cant see the diffrence since our eyes cant see it , but in fsx i guess u will because there is always stutters at some point.

You are confusing FPS with 24/25 frames per second used by movie theater projectors.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The purpose of the frame lock is to lock frames just below max load on your system. Default flight, max sliders, I get 60 FPS. Locking at 70, I get artifacts and stuttering. Locked at 50, no artifacts and no stuttering. At KLGA (NYC) I get 28 FPS so I need to lock frames at 24 to lose the stuttering. Phil Taylor said most systems would need to be locked below 45, so 30 was the best compromise.

Dave

Refresh rate settings are not supposed to fix flashing textures. If you get flashing textures it's because of other settings. Like water or tbm setting too high.

No, once again, as I posted... Water has always been set correctly, dropping frame rate to 50 from 60, cleared up all artifacts with BP=0. This is definitive, repeatable.

Phil Taylor said most systems would need to be locked below 45, so 30 was the best compromise.

Dave

Systems are more powerful since Phil Taylor made that comment though.

With sensible sliders, and no frame rate zapping add-on airports, I'm locked at 50, and get no stutters, at least nothing that would be an issue. Thats with an i73770k and a GTX580 RAM is 8gb.

I would hesitate to call anyone a she just because they say they are female and use a few myspace angle pictures as their avatar that were probably stolen from someone elses profile.

Yep, your right. Call me a 'he' all you want honey B)

I wish you kids would either discuss what this topic was supposed to be about, or go and play somewhere else.

Last time I checked, an individuals gender, was nothing to do with BP=0 and frame rate locks.

I use locked 30, but with pre-render set to "1" in NI. Stopped texture spikes in their tracks.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

All I can think of, is that at a 30 fps lock the terrain threads running on the 3770k can generate so much terrain update graphics on each 30 hz refresh that the resultant frame update not bufferpool blasted to the graphics card chokes it and causes artifacts. Increasing the frame lock FPS chokes down the terrain threads individual update size to something the GPU can manage in a single update, and spreads out the "effectively same 30hz" update over a longer period. Perhaps a great opportunity to test tuning TextureBandwidthMult...whatever...This is all, of course, 100% conjecture.

Edit: the above is probably 100% rubbish. I've had good results doing this as well:

I use locked 30, but with pre-render set to "1" in NI. Stopped texture spikes in their tracks.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Where did you set the limit? internally within FSX or inspector?

Inspector. Scroll down just before vsync setting.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

30 fps is smooth in FSX, except when panning with TrackIR or even the hatswitch. Not so smooth. There's a huge difference between 30 and 60.

Guest Raul_Hernandez

30 fps is smooth in FSX, except when panning with TrackIR or even the hatswitch. Not so smooth. There's a huge difference between 30 and 60.

Agree.

Before TrackIR, I was delighted with 24 FPS....... With track IR, the movement at 24 FPS is perceptibly jerky, and is even to a lesser extend at 30 FPS ....... but it's stutters caused by wide ranging fluctuations that have the worst effect on performance IMHO....

I would rather fly a plane that sits at a solid 24 FPS, than one that fluctuates between 40 FPS and 14 FPS .....

Can anybody offer a technical explanation for the following...

1. Why was BP=0 and locked at 60 FPS fine with an i7920/GTX580 at 4GHz, but generated artifacts with an i73770k/GTX580 at 4.5GHz?

2. Why would simply knocking the frame rate limiter back to 50, from 60 clear up artifacts with the i73770k?

Incidentally, with my old i7920 [4GHz] and the GTX580, BP=0 gave me an extra 10 frames in bad weather.

However, the i73770k [4.5GHz] and GTX580, with BP=0 gives me an extra 17 frames per second. A full 63% increase in performance. You can imagine how pleased I am that I now have BP=0 working again.

How does this hypothesis sound...

My theory is that the more powerful CPU, was simply pumping too much at the graphics card, too much for it to handle. And by limiting frame rate slightly more, there was less strain on the GPU, clearing up the artifacts.

Just trying to fathom this for future reference.