Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Looking to the future of FS9

To keep payware developers interested in FS9 we would have to keep buying their FS9 products.

What I hate here is when developers bundle their versions together where there's no way to trace FS9 buyers from FSX buyers (you get both for the price of one). These same developers go on to say FS9 products aren't selling.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I would think they do that to sell both ways. Even if you came up with statistics their perception is that FS9 is at its limits. Much of the new stuff for FS9 seems to be ported over from FSX . Carenado is a prime example. I feel for those that can't afford a killer pc, but it appears without one, things have gone about as far they can. I added FSX, and I did find that it has many more capabilities. Like FS9, it takes a good deal of tweaking. I run both.

One thing Avsim could do is reserve a spot in the library where developers can upload source material.

I agree whole-heartedly with this suggestion.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for all the excellent and very positive suggestions. I will be working on this over the weekend and will keep you posted on any progress

Cheers

Ian

Hope this works out, Ian. I use each for different purposes. It would be wonderful to keep FS9 fresh and viable.

Ian, Good luck with your effort. It is definitely worth trying. We believe what You believe, and sharing the same beliefs make this FS9 community more solid.

Just to weigh in on the thread.....I am and will always be an fs9 fan...I thinks its great that some developers bundle fsx and fs9 for the same price. At least we get both versions. Of course I am sad that alot of developers are turning strictly to fsx. But my question is....is there more buyers of fsx to ignore the fs9 market? Have the delopers done a survey to quantifythefx buyers from the fs9? If not then it does not seem to me to be to hard to do. If its all about profit then would it not be silly to ignore the fs9 market? In my case I have more payware airports then I can fly into now. That said of course I want more but if the developers decide to stop providing fs9 then they lost a truly great customer. To me it makes no sense.

I wanted to add as well that I always read about how many fs9 fans there are over fsx. If enough of us weigh in on these forums cant that make a difference? Also there are seriously smart people on these threads and in our hobby familiar with design.if we can beef up or modernize our existing fs9 feeware and payware with better textures and eye candy that should make alot of fs9 fans happy. I personally wish we could get better high res photo landscapes for our sceneries (like Blue sky) and more detailed ground equipment (like we see in payware sceneries) that we can add ourselves via something liek ez scneryplacement.

One thing Avsim could do is reserve a spot in the library where developers can upload source material.

We have exactly the facility to do that with tremendous security wrapped around it.

Thank you to all that have offered excellent suggestions and to Tom for the support he has offered from AVSIM. I think this project is definitely viable and has great potential. But I've also come to the conclusion that it's going to take a lot more time and effort than I can currently give it so I am postponing working on it until this coming summer. As a university professor in the USA, I have most of June, July and August with no classes to teach and will have plenty of time available to work on this. I will keep you all posted once I start making progress later this year

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for your efforts Ian! Looking forward to finding out more and seeing the outcome of your project. Take your time, no rush.

Reference to Cyanide's post I had a look at the high spec Stearman, and I am very impressed. If anyone wants to get it it's on Simviation.com. Just search for Douglas Kallen. There is also an update file and a repaint for the Duster and Sprayer version.

I must say I love the up-beat posts on this topic.!!!

flyer32a

My apologies to you all,I have just found the Bull Stearman in our own library!!! I feel rather embarrassed. I think it must be my age (80).

Oh, for some more models like this!!!

flyer32a

Yes - the Bull Stearman is great fun to fly around in FS9, and you'll be stunned by the amount of detail. It was meant as a proof of concept model, but its much more than just that.

If you are using FS9 and haven't yet given it a try - go for it. Highly recommended!

and yup, it is available in the library too :biggrin:, I tried it the moment it got uploaded with us in 2011.

I have some encouraging news. Michael Pearson has always been a prolific repainter of mostly military AI but recently has become an outstanding developer of new freeware AI models and extremely comprehensive Ai packages. I got an email from him today and his comment was that he would "stick with FS9 until the wheels fall off." He just released a beautiful F104 with a comprehensive F104G package soon to be served up for our AI pleasure and is working on an F5. And our good friends at MAIW continue to give us new packages, including new models also. Add to that a bunch of wonderful AI models released by John Young pf ACG fame recently!!!!!!

At least at the military end, we are probably getting more quantity and better quality AI traffic than in the entire history of FS9...

Cheers

Ian

Yes - the Bull Stearman is great fun to fly around in FS9, and you'll be stunned by the amount of detail. It was meant as a proof of concept model, but its much more than just that.

If you are using FS9 and haven't yet given it a try - go for it. Highly recommended!

and yup, it is available in the library too :biggrin:, I tried it the moment it got uploaded with us in 2011.

For reasons I cannot explain even to myself, I had ignored this in the past, even though I had read very positive reports. BIG MISTAKE! You are right - this model is AMAZING. The virtual cockpit may well be the best ever made for FS - payware or freeware. Thank you for finally getting the message through my thick skull - this addon is a MUST-HAVE....

Ian