Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

The PMDG of GA world?

You don't have the legacy yet? Eeek!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You can add the turbo package to the Cessna 337H to get to higher altitudes or have a lower, slower fun plane as is. Then of course, you can shop around the A2A hangar and anything that catches your eye will be a good one.

Ray

Is there a turbo package available for the C337 from Coronado?

Thanks, Bruce.

You don't have the legacy yet? Eeek!

Poor initial purchase decisions and a highly restrictive budget have resulted in: no AS/OPUS, GEX/FTX/UTX, FSUIPC, and PMDG B737/MD-11.

I did purchase the Flight1 C510 at your suggestion, and have really been enjoying it. I now only fly it (especially when I am not in the mood for extensive flight planning) and the PMDG B747, but both seem somewhat dated compared to the latest RealAir and PMDG products, respectively.

My birthday is approaching, so I do have the opportunity for a few new add-ons. I am currently considering two approaches:

1. GA exploration: FTX + OPUS + RealAir aircraft
  2. General Europe enhancement: Aerosoft sceneries + GEX + OPUS

If the PMDG B777 is released before 10 March, I will most likely purchase it instead.

Poor initial purchase decisions and a highly restrictive budget have resulted in: no AS/OPUS, GEX/FTX/UTX, FSUIPC, and PMDG B737/MD-11.

I did purchase the Flight1 C510 at your suggestion, and have really been enjoying it. I now only fly it (especially when I am not in the mood for extensive flight planning) and the PMDG B747, but both seem quite dated compared to the latest RealAir and PMDG products, respectively.

My birthday is approaching, so I do have the opportunity for a few new add-ons. I am currently considering two approaches:

1. GA exploration: FTX + OPUS + RealAir aircraft
  2. General Europe enhancement: Aerosoft sceneries + GEX + OPUS

If the PMDG B777 is released before 10 March, I will most likely purchase it instead.

You will throughly enjoy the RealAir Legacy. Dated Mustang! Hmmmm. In what way? There is nothing later out from Cessna yet. The M2 is slightly larger, heavier, faster, but not available for rw purchase just jet.

Here is one that you might like to jump in and go fast and high and if you don't like it no big deal. Find the Lionheart Epic Victory VLJ Jet on sale for 1/2 off at either their site or PC Aviator. They have the 1/2 off sale quite often. Maybe $12.50 total investment. I can give you some nice updated paint jobs. I love it for blow and go. Oh, it is faster than the Mustang just don't fly as high.

Ray

Is there a turbo package available for the C337 from Coronado?

Thanks, Bruce.

Nope, never has been. The numbers and turbo paints can be found in the Carenado Support forum for the Skymaster. I have the standard and the Turbo. Turbo: you need the higher climb rate around KJAC and for FL210 -240 for the higher speeds. Also gets off shorter runways. I made a couple of new MP gauges to handle the higher MP up to almost 40 IN. This is not blessed by the developer so you have to do it yourself for yourself, but it is easy and well worth it.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Nope, never has been. The numbers and turbo paints can be found in the Carenado Support forum for the Skymaster. I have the standard and the Turbo. Turbo: you need the higher climb rate around KJAC and for FL210 -240 for the higher speeds. Also gets off shorter runways. I made a couple of new MP gauges to handle the higher MP up to almost 40 IN. This is not blessed by the developer so you have to do it yourself for yourself, but it is easy and well worth it.

Thanks Ray- much appreciated. Bruce.

You will throughly enjoy the RealAir Legacy. Dated Mustang! Hmmmm. In what way? There is nothing later out from Cessna yet. The M2 is slightly larger, heavier, faster, but not available for rw purchase just jet.

Here is one that you might like to jump in and go fast and high and if you don't like it no big deal. Find the Lionheart Epic Victory VLJ Jet on sale for 1/2 off at either their site or PC Aviator. They have the 1/2 off sale quite often. Maybe $12.50 total investment. I can give you some nice updated paint jobs. I love it for blow and go. Oh, it is faster than the Mustang just don't fly as high.

Thanks for the information. I have changed quite dated to somewhat dated.

Based on images and videos, the graphics and sounds of the Duke and Legacy seem considerably better than those of the C510, though I do not know about systems complexity, as I have not yet flown non–glass cockpit aircraft (which is why I am considering the two). Can you compare the graphics quality of these three aircraft? Is the Carenado C340 comparable to the Duke?

The Epic Victory is very cool, but the Cessna C510 currently satisfies my VLJ desires.

Based on images and videos, the graphics and sounds of the Duke and Legacy seem considerably better than those of the C510, though I do not know about systems complexity, as I have not yet flown non–glass cockpit aircraft (which is why I am considering the two). Can you compare the graphics quality of these three aircraft? Is the Carenado C340 comparable to the Duke?

I took the Duke up for the first time today. Excellent aircraft. I have been flying commercial aircraft for a few years in fsx and trying to learn how to work the Duke was very hard. The pilot flying guide that comes with it is not very in depth. Realair only has that, a two page autopilot guide and a checklist pdf. The pilot guide keeps referencing a pilot operations manual but it did not come with the download (I bought the turbine v 1.2 Duke). Does anyone know where this manual is? It was very hard for me to understand the mixture, prop and throttle positions relative to each phase of flight. So much so I gave serious consideration to throwing in the towel. If you get the Duke and your like me and not familiar with operating this type of aircraft the pilot flying guide will be little help. I wish there was something better out there to help us novices get used to flying this plane.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Excellent aircraft. I have been flying commercial aircraft for a few years in fsx and trying to learn how to work the Duke was very hard. . . . The pilot guide keeps referencing a pilot operations manual . . . . Does anyone know where this manual is? It was very hard for me to understand the mixture, prop and throttle positions relative to each phase of flight. . . . If you get the Duke and your like me and not familiar with operating this type of aircraft the pilot flying guide will be little help. . . .

Thanks for the information. Is the documentation that comes with the aircraft the same as the version on the RealAir web site, which seems quite comprehensive?

Thanks for the information. I have changed quite dated to somewhat dated.

The Epic Victory is very cool, but the Cessna C510 currently satisfies my VLJ desires.

The Flight1 Mustang is about as realistic as you will find in FSX but the G1000 can not reflect the real world version due to the many limitations of FSX and the price we are willing to pay for the add on. Saying that, it comes closer than the other few G1000's available in FSX. Adding the Reality XP GNS units like the 530/430 will be the most satisfying for flying the LDA approaches and just general navigation and flight plans. RealAir Legacy has the best setup to date for adding the Reality units.

So the Realair two have round gauges, but 3d and smooth with u/g available at extra cost to Reality XP GNS units. The Flight1 Mustang has the G700 keypad and G1000 glass screens but not the best VC. Good but could certainly be better. I think they must have been trying to keep the FPS up.

I also have the C340 but haven't flown it much. It looks great inside and out but I suspect the systems will be very shallow but then that should be expected from the developer and price. You have to find your own documentation with the Carenado add ons if you want to know more than the basics.

I would say the Turbine Duke would be a level or two higher on the sophistication ladder than any of the Carenado planes. I think the Legacy would be a level above the T.Duke. A2A Simulations has several realistic models that you might also want to consider. You need to get the companion Accu-sim addon or you will be missing the good stuff.

Most folks will not find many GA type add ons with any systems depth to speak off. Maybe the Aerosoft Katana X might be an exception but it is like a trainer. I like something with a little speed and I like for the gear to retract, but that's just me. Some of the later Aerosoft models have some shakes and rattles and must be operated according to the rules or the engine will fail like it should.

So, today, if conventional single engine, I would say the Realair Legacy, twin engines could be Turbine Duke, Turbo Skymaster, or Turbo Baron B58. Most fun the Epic Victory. Get the A2A Accu-feel to go with whatever you end up with.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks for the information. Is the documentation that comes with the aircraft the same as the version on the RealAir web site, which seems quite comprehensive?

Yes that's the one. If you read through it you will see were it references some ops manual that I cannot seem to find.

Eric 

It was very hard for me to understand the mixture, prop and throttle positions relative to each phase of flight. So much so I gave serious consideration to throwing in the towel. If you get the Duke and your like me and not familiar with operating this type of aircraft the pilot flying guide will be little help. I wish there was something better out there to help us novices get used to flying this plane.

I think they didn't have permission to publish it from memory, but don't throw in the towel! This plane is awesome. So far I haven't found any "official" recommended performance figures for altering the propellor and power during flight. But I've been flying this plane for a while and built up some notes you might find useful:

Condition levers: Always full, except in taxi or engine startup/shutdown.

Takeoff - Maximum RPM that I can safely get without busting any of the gauge limits. Generally near full pitch. On hot days watch for overspeed or overheat. Rotate at 90 knots.

Climb - For the AP, use 3000fpm vertical speed mode until 10,000feet ASL, then switch to 2000 or adjust as needed to maintain a climb between 120kias - 170kias (cruise climb)

Cruise:

-Set RPM to low (middle green range), and power to 90% NG (if safe ITT/TRQ). Adjust power for either speed or lower fuel flow if required. For cruise at FL240, 170kias is economical. TAS will be closwer to 270kias at that altitude.

-Prop sync on in cruise

-Oil radiators stay open. If it's cold and you close them, monitor the oil temp very carefully.

Descent:

-You can close oil radiators halfway

-Use anti-icing if OAT gauge < 0 and/or moisture

-Low RPM

-Use the VNAV screen on the RXP 530 to determine required VS to meet your initial approach fix or circuit pattern.

-Do not descend faster than the pressurisation system can handle

Landing:

-Gear and 1st flaps is 174kias

-Full Flaps is white range 140kias

-Long approach speed 120kias+

-Short final speed 100kias

-Pitch full fine (in case of go around)

-Use reversers (i.e. turboprop power in beta range) until < 40kias on runway

Also checkout the checklist within FSX, it has some good recommendations - EXCEPT for cruise! I would love to find any performance charts or recommended ways to adjust the pitch for cruise fuel economy. There must be some standards out there, but I understand the turbo conversion is a rare one..

Thanks a million Dan. Your post will help me get through the learning curve with this plane. I plan on printing out what you wrote. One question for you, do the cowls stay open, half or closed for takeoff and climb? If you say ti keep the cowls open during cruise I am assuming they need to be at least at half?

Eric 

The Realair Turbine Duke or Carenado's Skymaster with RealityXP GNS would fit the bill.

My favourite of all GA is Carenado's Bonanza F33. Nice on frame rates, and once fitted with RealityXP a great aircraft to use for IFR and VFR

Every now and then you get a thread which brings out the best in people, and this one certainly has from my point of view.

I've had the piston and turbo Duke for a while now and absolutely love the work Real Air have done. On the basis of all discussion so far in this thread I've bought the Legacy and I'm delighted I did so, No room for complacency when flying this one!

Along with AccuFeel, Opus driving the weather and EZdok installed, after all these years I've now got pretty close to my FSX sweet spot.

Richard.

In climb they're half open and cruise shut for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |