Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

New ORBX prices at FSS

Funny, I counted 10 airports where they RAISED the price?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

This is a permanent sale or a permanent price structure change = reductions = sales, JV can turn it around as much as he want to to make it look like it's NOT a sale but at the end it is, I understand his strategy as he can't use the word "sale" because he said he will never have another one.

The semantics are irrelevant, Alain. The point is, this is EXACTLY what Orbx said they would do moving forward. Call it what you want, twist it any way you want to twist it, like it or don't like it, but it's NOT a change or backpedaling on what was announced. It IS what was announced.

Not trying to be some kind of Orbx apologist here - I'd be the first on to say they don't always approach things the way I would if I were managing the product line, but facts is still facts and "...what did I tell you..." is pretty silly in light of the fact that Orbx also told us so way back then.

Scott

Maybe now I will finally get Australia...

This is a permanent sale or a permanent price structure change = reductions = sales, JV can turn it around as much as he want to to make it look like it's NOT a sale but at the end it is, I understand his strategy as he can't use the word "sale" because he said he will never have another one.

Bottom line is that this sale is all good for Orbx customers.

You're splitting hairs. Most people understand a sale as reduced prices for a limited time only.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

What a bummer. The newer airports price hasn't been reduced.

I realize that the following may just apply to me, but in my opinion, but Orbx just doesn't get it. $32.95 is just too much to spend for such a small region. It just isn't price effective. If they lowered their price on the newer airports (such as Jackson, Yellowstone, Siletz Bay) I would be more than willing to buy them. Seems like getting $24.95 is much better than getting zero.

But I understand their logic, that buy lowering the price on the newer airports, they would have an $8.00 lost revenue on the ones they do sell. Oh well, guess I will just wait until hopefully they lower the price on the newer ones. Who knows, maybe this will happen someday. Will just have to wait and see.

What a bummer. The newer airports price hasn't been reduced.

I realize that the following may just apply to me, but in my opinion, but Orbx just doesn't get it. $32.95 is just too much to spend for such a small region. It just isn't price effective. If they lowered their price on the newer airports (such as Jackson, Yellowstone, Siletz Bay) I would be more than willing to buy them. Seems like getting $24.95 is much better than getting zero.

But I understand their logic, that buy lowering the price on the newer airports, they would have an $8.00 lost revenue on the ones they do sell. Oh well, guess I will just wait until hopefully they lower the price on the newer ones. Who knows, maybe this will happen someday. Will just have to wait and see.

It's a balancing act. If they'd cost only $10-15 I'm sure most ORBX fans would by all available airports for the regions in which they fly. But we don't know the numbers. The current price suggests that that either ORBX customers throw out money and ORBX are laughing all the way to the bank, or volumes aren't that high, so they need to keep prices at the higher end.

I think in general most addons are overpriced, but very few have done what ORBX is now doing, namely lowering prices on older products. I see many devs still selling FSX addons from 2006 for original prices...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The semantics are irrelevant, Alain. The point is, this is EXACTLY what Orbx said they would do moving forward. Call it what you want, twist it any way you want to twist it, like it or don't like it, but it's NOT a change or backpedaling on what was announced. It IS what was announced.

Not trying to be some kind of Orbx apologist here - I'd be the first on to say they don't always approach things the way I would if I were managing the product line, but facts is still facts and "...what did I tell you..." is pretty silly in light of the fact that Orbx also told us so way back then.

Scott

If they said that before their big sale screw up of 2011 you got a point and I'm wrong but if they said that after their screw up I have a point....wich one is it?

As I said JV had to find a way to have a sale without saying it's a sale without loosing his credibility (he did with me though)... like I said, at the end Orbx customers are one paying less but it's still a sale.

So if it is technically a sale like Alain is saying, does that mean I get unbanned for stating the inevitable almost a year ago?

BTW in my neck of the woods retired people get a discounts riding the bus into town....students ride for free, does the same apply here?

BTW in my neck of the woods retired people get a discounts riding the bus into town....students ride for free, does the same apply here?

Maybe ask that on the Orbx Forum... :spiteful:

Maybe ask that on the Orbx Forum... :spiteful:

Don't wanna risk having my banned account.........banned again.

If they said that before their big sale screw up of 2011 you got a point and I'm wrong but if they said that after their screw up I have a point....wich one is it?

None of the above. They said it when they announced no more sales. What they said AT THAT TIME was that they would likely review legacy products and reduce their prices as they aged. In other words, exactly what they've now done.

Scott

None of the above. They said it when they announced no more sales. What they said AT THAT TIME was that they would likely review legacy products and reduce their prices as they aged. In other words, exactly what they've now done.

Scott

You just made my point Scott, I am not arguing with you on what JV said he would do and did, I'm just saying that JV could not use the word sale, no more sales mean no price change, prices go up and it's an increase, prices goes down and it's a decrease = sale, JV's use of words is just another way to mask the sale of his products at a discounted price.

Again, the ones buying his on sale products at a reduced price are the ones winning.

trappe.gif

JV's use of words is just another way to mask the sale of his products at a discounted price.

Alain, the only one who seems to be playing word games is you - and I really don't mean that unkindly, so please don't take it that way. What Orbx is doing is EXACTLY what they said they'd do in exactly the way they said they'd do it. They never said they wouldn't ever reduce prices - in fact they said exactly the opposite. Given that's the case, there's really no "I told you so", because Orbx already told us, or face to save because they're stil sticking to exactly what was announced.

And now we're back to playing with words... If you want to define "sale" your way, and selectively ignore the qualifier that was placed on the statement from the get-go then OK. You win. :blush:

Scott

In the UK we would class this as a permanent change in pricing structure, in this case products decrease in price as they reach age thresholds. A 'Sale' would imply that an older product would decrease in price for x amount of time then increase back to its original price pre sale, that is not what Orbx are indicating here.

I agree with the feeling ORBX prices their airports too high. They're very fine pieces of work, but $33 for a tiny little field out in the middle of nowhere doesn't entice me. I can get a full blow international airport from the likes of FSDT, Flightbeam, or FlyTampa for that price.