Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

Help me choose a tablet!

I admit, I am a apple geek and biased towards them, but I have used the galaxy note tablets and I hated them.

My friends who own them also dislike them. If you are going to be using it mostly just for aviation apps and charts then I suggest getting the Apple iPad w/ retina display 16GB. If you plan on putting movies and pictures and lots of music on this then the 64GB variant is probably better, or even the 128GB one. I own the latest model in 64GB and I have 7,000 songs, 1200 pics and 250 apps and still have 16gb of free space, so I am good. I do like to feel that I have that buffer space though if I need. If you want me to get into all the details about why I think it's a better tablet, I can but it would be a 5 paragraph post and I dot have time now to write that.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

Guest Air France

iPad mini......Simply the best!

I do have two iPads (first generation and third9 and an iPhone but I am in no way an Apple geek. However, having tried out other tablets at work (Android and Windows 8) I'd still choose iOS for my flying and flight sim purposes. The number of apps is one thing, but everything about the iPad is just so much smoother.

When I fly IRL I put the iPhone in a holder on the dashboard and the iPad 3 on my left leg and then use Air Navigation Pro on both. Preferrably I'd throw the iPhone out and get a mini iPad with retina once it's released. For pure flighsim purposes I'd absolutely get the iPad instead of the mini simply because of screen size. I always fly with FS Kneeboard2, which I can't recommend highly enough, where I put all charts and in my view a mini iPad would simply be too small for that purpose.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

The 4 is definitely much better than the 3. In some graphics situations I actually found that the 2 was faster then the 3 because the processor in the 3 wasn't up to handling the retina display. That's all fixed with the 4 though, it's perfect. I really like the mini but I agree with not getting one until it's a retina display. You really do notice the lower resolution, even on the smaller screen.

Also - I will fully disagree with the idea of buying an Android assuming that the apps will eventually come out. It just isn't true. It's much more difficult to develop for Droid than iOS. That's why so many developers (even some of the huge ones) just won't do it. Apple's approval process is incredibly lax too. They will approve just about anything as long as you don't use undocumented APIs and follow their well documented design rules.

I even accidentally had a test version of an app approved once. When you loaded the app, a popup message appeared saying, "Test Version - Apple: Reject this app." So clearly they didnt even bother to run it - or they just didn't care if they did.

There are many many websites and blogs that talk about the pros and cons of developing for Android. Even though there are valid arguments to which platform to buy as a user, From a development standpoint there's no question that iOS is easier. I was making a Droid version of one of my iOS apps a few months ago. I was trying to translate something and did a line by line comparison.

The iOS app took two lines of code to do a specific function.

The Droid app took over 30 lines of code to do exactly the same thing.

Of course this doesn't matter to the end user, except to serve as an explanation as to why developers come right out and say, "Sorry we're not making an Android version." This always confuses people because there are more Droid devices out there, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Noah Bryant

Guys, I went with an iPad 4 w/Retina Display...

And wow! This display is SHARP! I'm really loving it, thanks for the help...

Besides FS Kneeboard 2, what other apps you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Great!

Aerofly for iPad. And Real Racing 3! :LMAO:

Guys, I went with an iPad 4 w/Retina Display...

And wow! This display is SHARP! I'm really loving it, thanks for the help...

Besides FS Kneeboard 2, what other apps you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A few essential free apps: Try Waze for personal navigation, Major Mayhem, Chrome for web browsing (let's you simply say the name of the website you want) the new Youtube app, find my iPhone (also lets you locate, erase or remotely lock a missing iPad) Google maps, the Kindle Books App, Newegg for iPad app, sound hound (identifies a song you are listening to, or hum the notes of) Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Metalstorm... (Make sure you get the HD versions of all of these if you decide to get them)

And.... The original infinity blade is free this week! (Get it!) it's like THE ultimate demo of what the device is graphically capable of.

And....

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/flight-simulators-for-the-ipad

https://www.remoteflight.net/

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/02/display-flight-instruments-on-your-ipad-in-flight-sim-x/

Have fun playing with Siri! :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5