Sign in to follow this  
haztronic

Common types of Instrument Oral Questions

Hey everyone,

on monday I have my instrument checkride and I've been studying my butt off trying to get all the neccessary knowledge in my head. My instructor had all his checkrides with the guy I am going with and he said that his oral exam is usually around 45 mins to an hour and then they go up in the plane to do the hold, approaches, unusual attitudes etc. He said that most of his questions are about weather and different scenario based questions. So for example, if you lost communications while in cruise what would you do to land at your intended airport....

Anyway, I was just wondering what common types of questions I might get asked during the oral exam. if there are things I truly should know by the time I start the exam etc. Like I said I have been studying non-stop everyday the past week but you can never be over-prepared.

Thanks a lot.

What is the FAF on an ILS approach?

Hint: it's not the cross.

Take a real deep breath man,I flew the s--- out of the table when I took mine had about two note books of papers left over with figures on them and I was tired. But you will live thought it....

Aleinware Area-51 Windows 10 Pro Intel i7 CPU 960@3.20GHz 12 GB RAM GeForce 770 Graphic Card

Here is one that I was asked. See attachment for reference.

Why do certain radials have a small zero by their degree value and others do not?

In the attachment, this would be 260 and 081 with the small zeroes.

My oral exam part was two hours long.

How wide is the Localizer beam supposed to be at the threshold and how does runway length affect the width of the beam?