Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Is it legal to use airliners.net pics on youtube?

Hi guys,

The title says it all. I came across a lot of videos on youtube that feature slide shows of airliners.net pictures. So just wondering if it's ok? I'm guessing it's ok as long as the watermark/photographer name is shown? Please correct me if I"m wrong.

Thanks

No, without permission from those people who have taken those pictures it's not allowed.

Of course many people just don't care when they make their picture slideshows to Youtube, but that doesn't mean it would be allowed.

Google airliners net photo use for a page with more information about this.

Rights must be obtained from the individual owning copyright, unless airliners.net has user terms that makes all the photos uploaded there public domain, which I highly doubt.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The answer is no.

You may not use these photos on any web page, commercial or non-commercial, for profit or non-profit, without written permission from the photographer. You may however link to the photos in the manner described below.

from the airliners.net site

And just to be clear, something is copyrighted the moment it's created. It doesn't have to be registered or have a copyright notice on it. You cannot take things from the Internet and do whatever you like with them without permission.

Noah Bryant

And just to be clear, something is copyrighted the moment it's created. It doesn't have to be registered or have a copyright notice on it.

That is correct for most of the world, but in some contries (like the USA) you might have a hard time in court unless your work has been registered and/or clearly marked.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

And just to be clear, something is copyrighted the moment it's created. It doesn't have to be registered or have a copyright notice on it. You cannot take things from the Internet and do whatever you like with them without permission.

Well, in the US, "fixed in a tangible medium of expression" but same general idea.

scott s.