Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Will the B777 be tested on a Windows 8 platform?

For those of us that are also salivating for the upcoming PMDG B777, and have taken the plunge with Windows 8, I'm wondering what PMDG's policy is regarding using the 777 with Windows 8?

Thanks, Bruce.

I dont think there is an actual policy against using it with windows 8.. There might be bugs, etc that are not worked out, I think 90% of users use windows 7 and the 777 started being developed when windows 8 has not been released, I had windows 8 on my system for about 2 weeks and I had not have any problems with PMDG aircraft that I have noticed. I have gone back to windows 7 for other issues other then fsx...Good luck hope it works for you when it finally gets released.

Kacper Nowotynski

As a user of Windows 8, FSX and the NGX, I can tell you that I have had nothing but problems with the combination.  Repeated ctd's, things not working correctly, and continual loss of my joystick not being recognized...not to mention the MADDOG not even loading up despite repeated reinstalls (and it worked fine before I reinstalled FSX.)  I have tried and tried every trick, secret, hint, you name it that's out there to no avail.  I am going back to Windows 7 next weekend.

Thanks Matt. With the exception of an issue I am currently having with the MD11, and the inability to install the LDS B763, I am finding FSX to be running better. Yes, the occasional joystick disconnect, although that seems to have disappeared lately- it's hard to compare with my prior Win 7 FSX instance as I now have FSX Gold (not in Win 7) and I also am now running an SSD which I installed in conjunction with the Win 8 install.

Thanks, Bruce.

Hmm I dont recall having ssues installing or flying with the level D 767 in windows 8.. Cannot remember as I only used it for about 2 weeks..I wasnt a fan of the metro UI, and I had some hardware compatibility issues with the OS itself, I installed a bluetooth driver and next thing I know my monitors are going crazy..that was last straw for me, I guess I didn't have enough time to truly test out fsx but from what I did test out I did not have problems.

Kacper Nowotynski

I use both the NGX and the MD-11, along with numerous other add-ons and have never had a problem running Windows 8. In fact, FSX has never run so smooth and stable for me. I know not everyone is experiencing the same with W8, but I don't want people to think its all bad.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Everything on Win 8 is also very very smooth for me. I had some crashes before the first updates, but now I NEVER have a crash. I only have the joystick issue sometimes, but it is rare.

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg

As of right now we don't recommend it.  I had quite a few issues myself when I tested it with things like CTD, massive sound stuttering in the sim etc - it's unclear whether they were related to drivers or to the OS itself, but honestly I don't see a pressing reason to move away from Windows 7 - it's stable and mature and we know everything works well there.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Ryan, I hear you on the W8. I will gladly install a dual-boot to W7 and a separate instance of FSX if required to use the 777, looking forward to it as much as everyone else here... In my case I get better performance from W8 than W7, but who knows why that would be, with so many variables (I have some new hardward too).

Thanks, Bruce.

I have Windows 8 running pretty well as of right now... I use the NGX without noticeable issues. I will be purchasing the T7 and will report any windows 8 related issues.

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

I am running the NGX on Windows 8 also without any noticeable problems. I fixed the joystick issue by using FSUIPC. I will give feedback about the T7 on Windows 8 also.

Regards

Michael Atherton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i have w8 and my only problem with the NGX is, that the joystick gettin lost sometimes, a known issue, W8 has many problems with hardware still, but i had had NO CTD´s with the NGX so far... only with my ENB and the QW146 Simulation..

You guys with W8 are  experimenting on your own. If developers have not mentioned anything about Win8 on their product  information then it is not compatible. How hard can it be to figure out? If you have problems with addons maybe that's because you haven't been reading product information carefully. Your bad. You have your own responsibililty obeying those so really why bother asking why things don't work as they suppose to.

Mikael Leinonen