Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

UK VFR Photographic Scenery and VFR Terrain

I see that Visual Flight www.horizonsimulation.com are having a special offer for September on the UK VFR Photographic Scenery and VFR Terrain. I've seen some positive reports from users, but also one big thumbs down from someone who missed all the (removed) autogen buildings as he flew into Heathrow.So, two questions from those of you who have it: do you think the Photographic Scenery worth buying, and if so, is it worth also getting VFR Terrain as well? (The FAQ says the photo scenery has a cut down version of the terrain included, but some users have suggested that the Terrain product did make a further improvement).Thanks for your comments.--Bryn

Bryn,I can't recommend both products highly enough.You'll get extra benefit from the scenery if you're going to run this with FS2004 after Microsoft release the update as this will enhance the terrain resolution to the same standard found in FS2002 which I believe was 19m.The UK VFK scenery is excellent particularly if you're flying at around 2,000 feet in a GA plane.Living in West Sussex I spend a lot of my time flying around my home county but also enjoy the odd jaunt around the Lake District which is simply stunning.Take the plunge and get both products you won't regret it.

Guest anthonye

Without a doubt, it's the best if you want realism. Why would you want the autogen when you have the real landscape below you. The VFR Terrain is a must, in my area it is perfect, spot-on the what it's really like. I have used both products since their release, would have even paid more for it :-)Check their forum at http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/Anthony(EGDC)http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-customer.jpg

Guest Janey

Hiya Bryn :)If you want to fly VFR around England and Wales then both of Visual Flight's products are essential in my view. The VFR Scenery with its standard mesh is a great but when it is combined with the VFR Terrain it becomes even better, the coastlines become crisp and the detail in the landscape will never cease to amaze you. When Swiss Pro came out it made the UK VFR Scenery look dated but now I have added VFR Terrain as well I can see that all it was really missing was the high quality mesh. It now looks just as good as Swiss VFR although of course the scenery in the UK is a tad more bland. If you add Gary Summon's UK2000 Airports as well you will probably have just about the best combination of flight sim scenery available today. So in a nutshell if you get the scenery it is defiantly worth getting the mesh.

I think that the complaint about missing autogen is a a fair one. Yes, VFR scenery is superb when you're chugging over it at 2,000 ft or whatever - the problem is that without any autogen it all gets a bit flat when you approach the field. Obviously there's not a lot you can do about this, and the product is still an excellent one. Gary Summons' airfields really liven things up though. I haven't got VFR Terrain yet but from what I've been reading I think it's about time I did.RegardsIan

You can add autogen yourself to the areas around the airports. Search the VisualFlight forums for "autogen" or similar to download dozens of such packages.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Both are extremely good products - couldn't recommend them highly enough. Now is an EXCELLENT time to buy these for FS2004 especially with the impending release of the new MS FS2004 patch which will improve the mesh resolution even further.Worth checking out the VisualFlight forum here:http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16Contains some excellent screenshots from previous purchasers of the VFR Scenery/Mesh productsRegardsAdam

i don't think need em, i already got the VFR scenery the day it was relased for FS2002 and have FS terrain which covers not only the UK but the US and Europe as well, i am not sure if i would gain any more by using VFR Terrain, from what i can work out it is just a mesh?

"i am not sure if i would gain any more by using VFR Terrain, from what i can work out it is just a mesh?"It's much more detailed and accurate than any other mesh. It also includes accurate coastlines, rivers and lakes which makes a huge improvement. I highly recommend this addon.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Quick question:Does this installation of these packages overwrite files installed by, say, FSWater? I recall installing the East and SE England in FS2002 and while the sea around the coastlines looked very convincing, the greenish water hues appeared elsewhere in the world as well.Mike

Installation of the replacement water textures is optional for the VFR Scenery but does overwrite default files.

MSFS / XP

Guest venquessa

It appears to be England and Wales, not UK. So, Scotland, IOM, Northern Ireland are all missing. Kinda lets it down for me :(

Hi JimmiG,"Installation of the replacement water textures is optional for the VFR Scenery"....that's what I needed to know :)Thanks!Mike