Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

SweetFX v1.4 released

What are the reasons that this thing causes CTD's on so many systems? I really would love to use it but I'd rather prefer the freedom of actual flying. :(

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I don't know where this is coming from, Drum.

What are the reasons that this thing causes CTD's on so many systems?
I haven't heard this, and I have only had two crashes in about five months - both attributed to the D3D11.dll, which is used by Nvidia and by SweetFX, but I have no knowledge that SweetFX is definitively causing it, nor (apart from two others) have I heard from any others that SweetFX is implicated. ENBSeries is a different bird, however, and I don't want to attach the ENB reputation to Sweet, as I've flown faultlessly with SweetFX v1.3.7 for several months, now, in testing for Steve, and even if it were the cause, It's possible that it may have a conflict with some other background app - certainly, at this time I have no evidence that SweetFX "causes CTD's on so many systems..".

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm getting the D3D11.dll crash and its fairly consistent for me. I thought it was the version I was using but after updating it still occurs.

At the moment my "impression" is that if I only switch it on once I'm up in the air it seems to work ok. The only difference between being up in the air and on the ground is that when I'm on the ground I'm setting up my flight and may be using FSX menus etc. I'm probably just trying to allocate some cause to the crash when in fact at the moment it's a complete mystery.

Hmmm... my suspicion is the Nvidia 31x -series driver, Brian, but I'm not sure. As mentioned elsewhere - I rolled back to 314.07, then 310.7 and then reconsidered and went down further to the highest I had below the 310's, as these were never a problem, pretty stable. The post 310 are coming out every two to three weeks, it seems... 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

All

I was using a prior version of Sweet FX and struggling massively with D3D9.dll CTDs that I couldn't work out, took me forever to work out that it was Sweet FX. Countless hours of testing has proved this conclusively for me.

HOWEVER since removing that and switching to 1.4, I am pleased to report that SO FAR I cannot replicate the numerous CTDs I was getting with an older version. Lots of testing still to do as the CTDs were quite random in timing but it's looking promising so far.

This is getting stranger by the minute   :lol:   Was that when using DX10, Martin, and what was the prior version?

Thinking his settings.txt file was not right I tried one the other day and could not get fsx to run got a message could not connect to saitek driver

Rich Sennett

I have Nvidia Driver 320, DX10 and 1.4 installed and it has never looked or acted better.

Kind regards,

Anyone tried this in full screen mode ? Seem to remember I used to get single digits with the old version and had to ditch it.

Thanks

Thanks Richard, have solved it, not really sure how but now working! Hopefully the CTDs of the prior version are now not an issue and I can use this glorious tweak!

Same problem as you Martin, how did you fix it ? Tried a re-install. Shift lock does nothing, the key is not programmed for anything else.

Thanks for your reply Stephen.

Oh Oh!

Someone here must be contagious :). I just had a CTD with the stop sign for the first time in ages. Maybe it isn't so sweet after all.

Kind regards,

This is getting stranger by the minute   :lol:   Was that when using DX10, Martin, and what was the prior version?

This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how I know which version of DX I use? I presume I'm using DX9 unless I have "enable DX10 preview" enabled (which I don't).

All my CTD's using the older version of Sweet FX were caused by menu clicks or switching between my desktop and fullscreen FSX.

This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how I know which version of DX I use? I presume I'm using DX9 unless I have "enable DX10 preview" enabled (which I don't).

You are absolutely correct.  FSX is a DX9 game unless DX10 is enabled.  In regards to the menu crashes, that might be fixed by placing the uiautomationcore.dll from Vista into your main fsx directory.  The old version of uiautomationcore.dll has fixed fsx menu crashes in the past.  PaulJ has a link to the only version that works in the AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide pinned at the top of the FSX Forum. 

I assume you are trying to switch between FSX fullscreen to your desktop and back by hitting Alt-Tab.  That doesn't work all the time for FSX and the best option is to hit Alt-Enter to go from fullscreen to windowed mode and vice-versa.

Best regards,

Jim

Oh Oh!

Someone here must be contagious :). I just had a CTD with the stop sign for the first time in ages. Maybe it isn't so sweet after all.

Kind regards,

Check out post #10 over in the CTD Forum - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408180-crash-to-disk-only-in-dx10-preview/.  The poster may have found a solution to SweetFX crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Gave Sweet FX a whirl yesterday and didn't have a whole lot of time to experiment,  but I couldn't find settings that looked quite right. 

Are you guys using Bloom, HDR, vibrance?

I also use shade which I'm sure will affect the color when SweetFX is enabled.  I tried it both with and without shade and am having a hard time finding the right balance of brightness of the sky and darkness of the terrain/VC.  I'm not quite sure what does what. 

Does anyone have a good preset, preferrably with Shade that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Matt