Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

How long has your TrackIR lasted?

You don't understand, the TCP is supposed to show light when you take a picture of it with an unfiltered camera, but it's not bright enough to see with the naked eye. You can try the same thing with a TV remote and a video camera, you can't see it with your eye but you will see it on the recording, if the lens isn't IR filtered.

The IR emitters in the TIR base are many hundreds times brighter than the ones in the TCP (that's why you can see them with the naked eye) because they have to be bright enough to bounce the light off the reflectors on the Hat Clip. I'm 99% certain you can turn off the ones in the Camera sat on your monitor when you are using the TCP.

Cheers, Andy.

....I'm 99% certain you can turn off the ones in the Camera sat on your monitor when you are using the TCP.

I concur. Mine is set at zero.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Like RonA - I was brought up to understand that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors.... so, two small screws/nuts, a bit o scrap metal and two pop-rivets. However - my wife says I can wear a hat indoors anytime....  :(

Second one in ten years, Ryan. "Can't fly without it"

I was thinking of doing something like that... But then I got lazy and just wear a cap under my headset  :unsure:  

For me I don't like wearing a hat at the PC... and naturally I'm already simming/gaming with my headset, so the TCP fits right on and I'm good to go.  I tried the hat initially and agree with (most) others... the TCP appears to provide better range of motion and does better in backlit situations than the one you wear on your hat does.

Absolutely.  I don't know how many times I would be simming and someone comes to the door.  There I am answering the door with these Martian antennas on my hat.  One time I went all the way to the convenience store with them on my hat.  :p0802: 

My opinion is that I see a clear improvement with the TCP over the hat clip.  Hey, that's just my opinion for what it is worth.  If ya'll don't like it, then don't use it.  Also, with the TCP, I don't have to worry so much about sunlight sneaking in around the curtains.  It is not as affected by it like the hat clip.

If NaturalPoint made a new version of the TCP that was wireless and mounted on the Brim of a baseball cap I would buy it but not that thing sticking out the side of your head. I think and know from experience that is asking for trouble!

I agree that they should make the TCP wireless.  It would be good if they made it to use either on a cap or a headset.  The technology is there.  I don't know why they don't use it.  They are just leaving a lot of money on the table.

TrackIR with the hat clip or TCP is fantastic, but there is room for a lot of improvement that can be easily accomplished.

gheeD, on 07 May 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

I was thinking of doing something like that... But then I got lazy and just wear a cap under my headset :unsure:

You don't have to go to those lengths. I simply taped mine to my headset. My wife still made the noise that Mork (from Ork) made, every time she saw me. Munumunnah! :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

At the risk of jinxing this conversation, anyone else notice how mature, friendly, and informative this conversation has been?  Such a welcome relief from the banter and, well, you know...

Thanks guys, made my day and restored my hope a little bit.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

You don't understand, the TCP is supposed to show light when you take a picture of it with an unfiltered camera, but it's not bright enough to see with the naked eye. You can try the same thing with a TV remote and a video camera, you can't see it with your eye but you will see it on the recording, if the lens isn't IR filtered.

The IR emitters in the TIR base are many hundreds times brighter than the ones in the TCP (that's why you can see them with the naked eye) because they have to be bright enough to bounce the light off the reflectors on the Hat Clip. I'm 99% certain you can turn off the ones in the Camera sat on your monitor when you are using the TCP.

I do understand 100% Andy. I was referring to the TIR "camera" picking up the TCP IR LED's.

I try to repost that reply again:

That's a camera trick Andy, all the TIR camera is doing is picking the TCP. TIR is setup to use the TCP so not sure how the cameras IR's could be active.

The IR brightness for the TIR camera only goes down to 10. Could you verify this for me because that's what mine shows.

At the risk of jinxing this conversation, anyone else notice how mature, friendly, and informative this conversation has been?  Such a welcome relief from the banter and, well, you know...

Thanks guys, made my day and restored my hope a little bit.

I'll take the credit for that!!! I getting my own back on AVSIM for barring me for a month for using obsenties :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

Had Trackir since 06 and still going fine. The clip has survived even moved house around the world with me. It gets wrapped and packed better than our best wine glasses! That's what you pay for when you buy TIR. The sensor is just a few cheap circuit boards.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Well, I got everything hooked up and working again. It was definitely the camera that went bad, not the TCP. Everything is working fine now, thanks to the UPS man.

How do you spell relief? T-R-A-C-K-I-R :smile:

TrackIR 3:Pro - early 2005. Works as good today as the day I bought it. I love it and I would have bought a TrackIR 4 or 5 but no one has really been able to explain to me what the real advantages would be. I have read the literature and it talks about greater resolution and FOV etc. but the one I have now is glass smooth and never misses a beat. Anyone know of any really solid reasons as to why it might be worth upgrading? Thanks

I have had my TrackIR4 for 7yrs I think and never had any probs at all lol  and I use it on every flight I make just about.    Just lucky I guess

Anyone know of any really solid reasons as to why it might be worth upgrading? Thanks

• Spend some of that money that is making your wallet too fat to sit on

• Support our friends at Natural Point

• Help grow the national economy

• Be the first on your block to have the latest model of TrackIR

• Bragging rights

• Keep your working TrackIR3 for public display at the Smithsonian

I do understand 100% Andy. I was referring to the TIR "camera" picking up the TCP IR LED's.

I try to repost that reply again:

The IR brightness for the TIR camera only goes down to 10. Could you verify this for me because that's what mine shows.

You haven't got the software in the correct mode then, I've just tested it and if you put the TrackIR 5.1 software in Track Clip Pro mode it actually turns the IR emitters off altogether, with a brightness setting of 0. I didn't realise it did this automatically, but for the reasons I stated earlier (about background noise from reflected radiation) it makes sense to turn it off in TCP mode.

Cheers, Andy.

I received my TrackIR (plus the clip) March 23 2007. It still works as if it's new. That's more then 6 years by now...! Wow! Money VERY well spend!