Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

AI Aircraft SID and STAR Controller

hi sgt summers,

can you do me a favour and post your ini ?! I didn´t find a good setup of the ini file. if i use the hold parameter, no aircraft will leave the hold to land. if i use no holdings, i have a lot of go arounds and so on. i´am a bit frustrated :-P

thanx in advance

greets

klaus

That's probably what is happening.  The AI won't start looking for a SID until it obtains about 1000 ft AGL.  The program places a significant "turn" penalty for any entry points that are behind the AI when it starts looking (essentially, it won't pick any waypoints that are behind it when it starts looking).  If there are five SID entry points ahead of it at the same location, it will pick the SID with the exit waypoint closest to the destination airport.

I did move the initial waypoint farther out, and confirmed that aircraft were proceeding to it first, and still had aircraft routed to the same SID every single time, I sent an email with logs to the support address in the readme a few days ago. Looking forward to the new version.

Hi Roland any update on the Q version ? Just formatted my HDD and installed fsx fresh. waiting on your Q version before i start churning out those SID/STAR files.

Hi Roland any update on the Q version ? Just formatted my HDD and installed fsx fresh. waiting on your Q version before i start churning out those SID/STAR files.

Going well, the new final approach modes look promising.  I'm close to uploading the Q version, but it is a beta version with a lot of new features, so...bugs are possible!

-Roland 

I have my bug spray ready to go. It's been quite awhile Roland. Finally bolstered my AI enough to be able to fly with it on. Only problem is trying to remember how I converted my PMDG SID-STARS to the correct format.

I have everything converted. I have set the program to hold AI at all waypoints to achieve spacing. I am not able to get timely approaches. I have 5 aircraft inbound to STL and they are all being held for whatever reason. What am I missing or can do to better have things tighten up and flow?

Hi Roland,

just want to say a big THANK YOU for sharing your great work with all of us! Looking forward to the Q-Version!

Kind Regards,

Sebastian Beier

Hi Roland

Your efforts are amazing!! Can't wait to get that 'string of pearls' going at the major airports!!! Looking forward to the Q-Version.

Regards

James Amayo

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Just some nuisances holding up ver. Q now.  For example, the new version can optionally auto-generate final approaches (so the user doesn't have to write them).  Just figured out however that the program in some cases was accidentally generating final approaches with turbo-prop parameters for jet approaches.  That cost me a  day!

Russian, I'm focused on the new version, so I probably won't be able to trouble-shoot your issue.  Version P did have problems with the approach rates falling to low levels, which should be remedied with the new version (control over final approach speeds helps a lot with that). 

-Roland

Hi Roland,

I´m testing a lot with your tool. My main testing airport is EDDS ( Stuttgart - Germany ). RWY 07 / 25.

I´m using the "CLOSE AI STARS" produced from the aiconv.exe. All the other STARS are deleted and I wrote my own RNAV TRANSITIONS for the two runways as shown from the charts. So far so good.

aiautostar=1 is set.

For example in FSX is RWY 07 active. AISIDSTAR is chossing after starting FSX RNAV TRANSITIONS for RWY 25 and I got goarounds due to bad runway heading, cause 07 is active.

I´m wondering,cause in my RNAV TRANSITIONS txt files, the runways are assigned ! For example KRH07 RNAV TRANS and KRH25 RNAV TRANS is available, but choosing the wrong STAR file. After a while, it is going to be correct and the 07 files are in progress. BUT: I figured out, that it seems the aiautostar is not working proberly, cause after a period of time, aisidstar is choosing again the files for rwy 25 ....

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be ?

greets Klaus

Rev. 1.2Q (beta) can be found here: 

New:  Final Approaches now supported.  Two basic modes are used.  

In the first mode, the final approach is executed according to a custom final approach file written by the user.  Unusual final approaches can be supported, such as the KDCA River Visual 19 and the KJFK Parkway Visual 13L  and 13R and Belmont Visual 22L finals.  These finals are included in version Q as examples for the user.  

In the second mode, AISIDSTAR automatically generates final approaches.  

Both modes can be operated at the same time.  That is, the user can write a custom approach for one runway at a monitored aiport, but rely on autogen final approaches for the other runways.

One tradeoff between the two modes is timing.  In the first mode (custom files), final approaches are available immediately after AISIDSTAR is started.  The second mode (autogen) may require up to 10 minutes after AISIDSTAR before final approaches are available at all runways in use in the monitored area.  Then again, you don't have to actually spend time writing the auto-gen, final approaches.

The ability to control AI on final approach and landing provides many other benefits.  AISIDSTAR can now aggressively control the speed of AI on approach achieve efficient spacing.  This may result in a “string of pearls” effect at busy airports.  KLAX is a good airport to try, I usually see it forming at runway 24R using high AI densities.  

Another benefit is reduced go-arounds.  Better spacing on final approach allows AISIDSTAR to reduce go-arounds.  If a conflict does occur, the program has the ability to simply land both planes and remove the conflicting AI after landing rather than interupt the arrival flow with a go-around.  Another problem reduced is the issues of chronic go-arounds.  As is well-known with FSX, if somehow the AI cleared to land first (by FSX) falls behind another AI that lands, the cleared AI "goes around" causing chronic go-arounds on that runway for all subsequent AI until the going-around "cleared" AI returns and lands.  AISIDSTAR (using default go-around parameters) can now ensure the "cleared" AI lands the first time no matter what happens in front of that AI. 

However, AI approach speed will be aggressively reduced to achieve these benefits.  The user can lessen these speed variations by changing various parameters.  I now recommend AISeparationDistance = 3 (normal), = 2 (aggressive speed variations), and = 5 (relaxed speed variations).

The AI rollout distance after landing has also been drastically reduced, aiding in more prompt evacuation of the runway thus increasing landing rates.

See the Readme1st.txt for basic installation instructions.  See the Readme.pdf for additional details, including many new parameters (not described here) for changing final approach and landing characteristics.

New:  AICull.  Suggested by Anders Quigg.  Thanks!  Intelligent AI traffic densities.  Remove AI that is neither departing from or arriving at the monitored airport(s) in order to boost frame rate, but still maintain an immersive AI experience.  Set AICull = 1 (scan ground traffic only), = 2 (scan airborne traffic only), or = 3 (both).  

Important Revision:  A registered version (4.9x or later) of Peter Dowson's FSUIPC utility is recommended to use the full functionality of AISIDSTAR.  For example, the new AICull function requires FSUIPC.  

Revised/Fixes: Many other improvements and fixes.

Please consult the following video documentation (Note: for Rev. M, but still mostly applicable to the latest revision).

Video 1 - Working with the Included Sample SID/STAR Files and Creating New Files Using AIConv.exe:  http://www.mediafire.com/watch/mj3hgm33w24thcv/AISIDSTAR_Video_1_Sample_SID_STAR_Files_and_Creating_New_Ones_Using_AIConv.mp4

Video 3 - Operating Parameters.

Thanks!

-Roland

I think it's time for Roland to set up a paypal account   :Applause:

I also wonder if, maybe at some point in the future, it might be considered to get in touch with the navdata providers for a custom set of data tailored for exactly what AISIDSTAR requires. I suppose demand would be a driver for that. I'd certainly be willing to contribute to funding that should it become a possibility.

Whatever happens, thank you Roland. It is truly impressive what you've managed to do with this.

Regards,

Brian Doney