Sign in to follow this  
bukeyolacan

Help with 737 visual approach

I need some help with visual approach using PMDG 737. I always use ILS autolanding so I have no knowledge about manual landing. In some airports like Skiathos, there is no ILS so I have to land it manually. I programmed the FMC till the runways with NDB approach. It descends until 2000 feet but doesn't line up with runway. LNAV finishes around 10nm to the runway so I had to manually turn the plane aligning the plane and descend manually. Can someone explain the steps for it? Thanks

If you do not understand how to actually fly an airplane, I'd suggest doing the tutorials with the default cessna first, and reading various tutorials about the basics of flying online.

Ignore the advice given above. That kid obviously has attitude. When I get home I will step in with some advice if its not already been given.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Some VOR stations are not ligned up with the runway. You could try an RNAV approach so at least you have the majenta triangle to help you with your descent

On the EFIS turn on FPV and keep it pegged at a -3 degree glide slope.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Ignore the advice given above. That kid obviously has attitude. When I get home I will step in with some advice if its not already been given.

DIsagree....

If he does not know how to turn the plane manually or descend manually he should take a few steps backwards.

Hand flying the 737 is the same principle as any aircraft, so learn how to hand fly an ILS approach in a Cessna, then in something like a Lancair, a Twin and then the 737.

-Iain Watson-

I'm on Tapatalk, so missed the forum header. Is this the PMDG forum by any chance? It certainly feels like it.

Are you trying to do a visual approach or an instrument approach?

If you're doing a visual then from what I understand you're not supposed to use the instruments (ILS, VOR, NDB, etc.) but rather follow a visual traffic pattern keeping the airfield and runway in sight going from downwind leg, to base leg, then turning to the final leg and descend towards the runway at your VAPP speed, landing config with flaps and gear down etc. You'd normally descend at around 700-900fpm, a good tip is to use the PAPI lights on the side of the runway during your approach as they help to keep you on the glide path. 2 white lights and 2 red lights mean your on the path, more red means you're too low and more white means you're too high. There's a whole section on doing visual approaches in the FCTM that comes with the NGX that I'd recommend that you read as it will explain all techniques in more detail.

As for non-precision instrument approaches (not ILS) including VOR, NDB and RNAV, I would also recommend reading the chapter on 'Non-precision Approaches' also in the FCTM. I usually do VOR approaches at airports that don't have ILS as the next choice, the basic principle is to tune into the airport's VOR station before the approach and set the inbound radial using the CRS knob on the MCP, as your begin to approach the final approach course you can arm LOC mode by pressing the LOC button on the MCP as that will capture the VOR radial that's been set. There's no vertical guidance or 'glide slope' as it's only a VOR so you will need to monitor the DME on the ND during your approach, refer to the airport VOR approach chart as it will contain the altitude steps and DME from the VOR for guidance as you descend. To make it a bit easier, you can use VNAV for this and it will follow the vertical profile in the FMC if you've selected VOR approach. Also make sure to set the MDA (minimum descent altitude) using BARO on the minimums knob as this will be the point at which you decide to continue and land or go around and do it again, by this point I normally always have the autopilot and autothrottle disengaged and land the plane manually.

Keep in mind that though that the aircraft will NOT automatically descend when you reach the IAF (initial approach fix) and will need to set a next lower altitude for it to continue (also refer to the airport's VOR approach chart for this).

As mentioned above, some VOR approaches don't always line you up with the runway so you will need to disconnect the automatics and take over manually when see the runway then line yourself up. From here on it becomes a visual approach.

The RNAV approach is also another good option as it will follow the FMC vertical profile using VNAV, you can also use LNAV as you don't track a VOR radial or localiser. You'll still need to monitor descent as it's also a non-precision approach and make sure to set the next lower altitude down to MDA. The good thing about the RNAV approaches is that you can use the IAN feature of the NGX and arm the APP button on the MCP before final approach. This will effectively turn your approach into an 'ILS-like' approach providing you with vertical and lateral guidance 'dots' on the PFD, all data is still provided by the FMC.

Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but in the NGX documantation you'll find procedures and techniques to manually land the 737. It's much easier to add or stress a few details via this thread than posting lengthy instructions - just my 2 cents ...

Hi, I understand that you live in Ankara. So do I. Maybe we could try it together,

İlhan

If you are going to use the NGX, forget the cessna and learn the procedure in the NGX!

THe OP clearly can fly the NGX, just with instruments and not using visual procredures. Follow the good advice above from Michael and you'll be nailing these in no time.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Thanks Michael for your reply. I was expecting an answer like this but some people likes to not helping.

THe OP clearly can fly the NGX

If entering some figures into the FMC, press some switches on the MCP and let the AP control the AC from take-off to touch-down is considered flying, then you're obviously right.

But I think for flying an airliner one should at least know how to read the approach charts in order to get a basic knowledge about what to do. I admit that I like the AP flying the complete procedure until 1000ft AGL, but I always go over the approach and think about what I'd have to do, just in case... And for this purpose the Cessna seems a better choice to me, because it's slower, giving you more time to prepare for the next steps. Besides, all it takes to do that is to complete a few of the FSX flying lessons, or at least read through the instructions.

Other than that, I think what Michael posted above is a good advice, in case the OP doesn't want to learn something new he could apply to any aircraft.