Hmmm I could see the thermalright beating the D14 for sure.  Reason is I'm 98% sure (haven't been in my case in a while) that the D14 only has 6 heatpipes and the TR looks to have 8.  I know people are talking various bits about the chips.  Me personally I think I've decided on Haswell.  Sure I could get a SB and try to OC to 4.8Ghz but it sounds like it's much easier to hit 4.3 with not much trouble/heat on Haswell.  I'd rather have the newer platform for future software/games.  I know a Haswell with a decent OC will blow my i7-860 out of the water for something like XP10 for sure.  As much as I love FSX, XP10+ is definitely on my radar especially now that they're talking about coming up with a way to auto-populate terminals/buildings at airports.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Westman:

The IHS is not TIM, as we all know IHS is the cap on top of the cpu die. The first purpose is to protect the cpu die and its other componets and also help transfer heat (eletromigration). The fact is that you didn't even took the time to know what I was talking about. Bottom line solder witch is metal transfer heat better than the TIM in Ivy and Haswell. The real thing here is honestly and truly trying to help a fellow simmer giving and objective advice. Degradation happens when the cpu handle too much heat or high voltage over time, so having a better conductor of heat one of the factors that degradate the cpu faster helps extend the life of the CPU. Finally if you were not to have one (IHS) you will still need a heat conductor to help the cpu dissipate heat. 

P.S. obviously if money is no issue buying new cpu more frequently is not a problem, but not all people have the money to do that ....

ChaoticBeauty,

Exactly my point thank so much for understanding

+1

Hmmm I could see the thermalright beating the D14 for sure.  Reason is I'm 98% sure (haven't been in my case in a while) that the D14 only has 6 heatpipes and the TR looks to have 8.  I know people are talking various bits about the chips.  Me personally I think I've decided on Haswell.  Sure I could get a SB and try to OC to 4.8Ghz but it sounds like it's much easier to hit 4.3 with not much trouble/heat on Haswell.  I'd rather have the newer platform for future software/games.  I know a Haswell with a decent OC will blow my i7-860 out of the water for something like XP10 for sure.  As much as I love FSX, XP10+ is definitely on my radar especially now that they're talking about coming up with a way to auto-populate terminals/buildings at airports.

Well no, the standard Silver Arrow is very close to the D14, as I said, there's about two degrees in it. Close acoustically as well. See the reviews.

The cooler Ryan linked to is the Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme. The Extreme nudges further ahead of the D14, but it does that as a result of high RPM, very noisy fans.

I'm pretty sure that if you took the same high RPM, noisy fans, that are fitted to the Extreme, and put them on the D14, you would get the same cooling. After all, the surface area of the cooler hasn't changed, just the fans.

That's the whole point of the "Extreme", it's designed for overclockers that don't care about noise.

Well no, the standard Silver Arrow is very close to the D14, as I said, there's about two degrees in it. Close acoustically as well. See the reviews.

The cooler Ryan linked to is the Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme. The Extreme nudges further ahead of the D14, but it does that as a result of high RPM, very noisy fans.

I'm pretty sure that if you took the same high RPM, noisy fans, that are fitted to the Extreme, and put them on the D14, you would get the same cooling. After all, the surface area of the cooler hasn't changed, just the fans.

That's the whole point of the "Extreme", it's designed for overclockers that don't care about noise.

Ah ok, I assumed the extra heatpipes getting heat to the radiator was what was responsible for some of the extra cooling.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Well after some changes done this is the final result :

Intel Core i7-4770K

GTX 570 OC 

ARROW SILVER SB E EXTREME

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H

G.Skill DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz 11-13-13-35 TridentX + Fan

Seagate Desktop 3.5" 1TB 64MB SATA3

Samsung SH-224 x24 SATA Black DVD

Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750W

Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GTS

Any thoughts ?

1.ssd and a new gpu is a future updates

If I was you wait to see if the next batch of haswell and see if it turn out to be better. IF not Ivy at this point at least has a little more overclocking potential.

P.S. Sandy is still better but is sold out, just my two cents. Good luck man!!!!

Well after some changes done this is the final result :

Intel Core i7-4770K

GTX 570 OC

ARROW SILVER SB E EXTREME

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H

G.Skill DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz 11-13-13-35 TridentX + Fan

Seagate Desktop 3.5" 1TB 64MB SATA3

Samsung SH-224 x24 SATA Black DVD

Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750W

Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GTS

Any thoughts ?

1.ssd and a new gpu is a future updates

Amir... just checking to make sure you are aware that the Silver Arrow "Extreme" is noisy at full RPM?

Great cooling of course, due to those high RPM fans.

Most of the time you would probably find, the "Extreme" was running at slower RPM, and thus quieter of course, due to the PWM function.

That "extreme" cooling capability would be in reserve of course.

Intel Core i7-4770K

If you end up buying Haswell, I really suggest de-lidding it; else no cooling solution will alleviate the problem.

If you end up buying Haswell, I really suggest de-lidding it; else no cooling solution will alleviate the problem.

That depends how high he intends to overclock.

No de-lidding is required for reasonable overclocks.

My 3770K runs at 4.6 GHz, with no de-lidding. And that's with NH-D14 air cooling. Average results after de-lidding are 4.8 GHz... so not a huge difference, barely a few frames per second in FSX.

So far, it looks like the 4770K is achieving 4.4 to 4.5  on average, without de-lidding, and the architecture is faster of course. 

The noise is fine..

about delidding , 4.5 even 4.4 is good for me and it seemes that you can get it with an average chip... so I hope I wont need it ..

Final moment budget problem forced me to go on the NHD14 instead of the Silver arrow...
Its just costs me 80 $ less because If I will be going on the silver arrow I need to buy it from amazon and the taxes in my country makes it double price...
I can pick the nh-d14 in a local store for 90 $.. so this is way I am going with the nhd14.

What do you think ?

Final moment budget problem forced me to go on the NHD14 instead of the Silver arrow...

Its just costs me 80 $ less because If I will be going on the silver arrow I need to buy it from amazon and the taxes in my country makes it double price...

I can pick the nh-d14 in a local store for 90 $.. so this is way I am going with the nhd14.

What do you think ?

NHD 14 is gonna do the job pretty well. Enjoy your new build 

What do you think ?

Well, I have extolled the virtues of the D14 many times on the forum.

It's a fantastic air cooler, the one all other air coolers [and closed loop water coolers] try to beat. Some have achieved that, by merely a few degrees, and many by simply mounting high RPM noisy fans.

So yes, I have no doubt that you will be very pleased with the performance of the D14.

If it fits in your enclosure of course... do check.

What do you think ?

You'll bend your motherboard, kid.

Think of:

A Christmas Story - "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."