Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

How to watch a replay of your flight (or landing in particular)

I also noticed some other things, for instance if you start the replay with the flaps in their UP position they will move into landing position but it takes a while for them to go from UP to 30 or whatever you had them at for landing

However, if you start your replay after shutting down the engines they will not restart and you will land without them running! :lol:

Iain Smith

What "time" is referenced in the panel state saves? Is it UTC or system time or what?

What "time" is referenced in the panel state saves? Is it UTC or system time or what?

Pretty sure it's system time.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

And to be honest I don't really understand how this is even possible that I can make things happen like retracting the spoilers during a replay...to me that's like being able to travel back in time and change stuff that already happened in past time

Because it's not actually a replay. Its the actual plane being automated and flown by fsrecorder. That's why you need engines and systems on. It's not recording a video. It's recording what you did while flying the plane, and then doing that itself.

I see someone else explained :)

Edited by dcgator29

This was already explained to me by Mike earlier in this thread but thanks anyway :)

Richard Åsberg

Regarding FRAPS, it is a good video recording program and can be used to make a true video of a flight replayed using FS Recorder.  However it does generate extremely large files - several gigabytes for a few minutes.  So it is necessary to then re-do the video using something like Windows Live Moviemaker, which comes with  Windows 7.    If you don't do any editing you can just load up all the FRAPS files and have Moviemaker make one continuous and much smaller video file.  However you can also use Moviemaker to edit together different videos, so you can replay a landing from cockpit view, record it using FRAPS, replay from outside view & record that using FRAPS, and then paste together one continuous video from the cockpit and external FRAPS videos, alternating between the different perspectives. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This is exactly what I intend to do, to record several videos from different views using FRAPS to capture a FS Recorder replay and then using a freeware video editing software I found called VSDC to mix the FRAPS videos so I have a final movie with "split screens" allowing to view the movie from several different views simultaneously.

I'm a real newbie on this so guess it'll take some time before I manage to do what I want and have a good result but I have fun while learning :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Pretty sure it's system time.

So is there any consistent way to correlate these system times with some point in the FSRecorder track? All I can find is a reference in the bottom right to which second of the recording I'm at.

So is there any consistent way to correlate these system times with some point in the FSRecorder track? All I can find is a reference in the bottom right to which second of the recording I'm at.

You can look at the time the recorded file was saved and count backwards from there (using the recording time indicated in the little red box). It is in Documents>Flight Simulator X files and ends in .frc. Also, you can set FS Recorder to save the recording without asking. Then the file name will look something like this:

FSRecorder_2013-06-13_00-59-17_0648.frc (i.e. date and time saved at the end of the recording).

Also, I have a registered FSUIPC installed. It appears to be working in conjunction with FS Recorder's saves to produce files with the same name except ending in .frc.FSSAVE & .frc.FMC . (FS Recorder is set to save the flight situation along with the recording, so there are also files ending with .frc.FLT and .frc.WX). So you have the recording, situation, wx, etc all saved with the same time & date.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Also note that PMDG (NGX), probably in conjunction with FSUIPC as well as FSRecorder, is saving a panel state in Flight Simulator X>PMDG>PMDG 737 NGX>PanelState. The panel state is called "FSRecorderTempRecord" and involves three files in that folder. This panel state can be selected using the FMC. However it is overwritten each time you start a new FS Recorder recording using the NGX. It is probably possible to rename the three files to preserve the panel state to go with the recording -- I need to experiment more.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

About 2 weeks ago I started this thread and at the time knew almost nothing about how to record flights in FSX in a good way and in particular when it comes to advanced aircraft like the NGX with lots of custom animations etc.

Looking back I realize I learned a lot during these past 2 weeks and even if it's not nearly as cool as some other FSX videos I must admit I'm a little bit proud what I achieved so far and I hope I'll can do even better in another two weeks or months or years :wink:

So...if you're in for a short curcuit around Aerosoft EFHK in the NGX you're most welcome aboard :smile:

Edited to mention that please don't pay too much attention to some of the details like the gear handle that won't automatically work during playback (moved it myself while I noticed this) and same other things like the Autobrake that won't move etc.

Also this was a 100% "dirty" and manual flight where I didn't pay that much attention to flying the NGX properly so please don't judge me too hard :wink: Normally I fly very much by the numbers in every aspect! For anyone who got cold feet after reading this and hesitating to climb aboard I promise you'll come back down on the ground in one piece
:lol:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/A%20short%20testflight%20at%20EFHK.avi

Richard Åsberg

Sorry about that, received an email from Dropbox telling me public sharing had been temporarily disabled due to excessive data transferring so looks like Dropbox don't really like big movie clips...

Anyway, here's the clip now on YouTube instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSIkQFzVlg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Richard Åsberg

Waking up this thread again since I've run into some trouble with FS Recorder.

Have been using FS Recorder for a while now and it's a very cool program indeed!

At first I only recorded short "clips" but today I tried recording 2 full length flights in the NGX first flying from ESSA to ENVA and then back from ENVA to ESSA. On both flights I started recording when I was about to enter the rwy for takeoff and I then stopped recording when I arrived at the gate at my destination. On both these flights shortly after stopping the recording by pressing ESC FSX entered the 'Not responding' state and all left to do was to close it and then I was back at my desktop :(

Is there a known problem recording long flights with FS Recorder?

The only other thing I can think of that I did differently on these flights except for the length of the flights is I was now online at VATSIM and I checked in FS Recorder to also record AI aircraft if that could be the problem? However I did a short test before doing these flights where I recorded maybe for 2-3 minutes when I was online on VATSIM to see if it would work and if I would see the online traffic during playback although I was disconnected from VATSIM when playing back and it worked just great so I don't think recording online VATSIM traffic by selecting to record AI traffic is the problem here.

Would really like to be able to record complete online flights on VATSIM so any input would be very much appreciated!

Richard Åsberg

So, I now think I've come as far as I could have wished for when I started this thread. Using the software listed below I'm now able to produce FSX videos that will include all sounds (both FSX and ATC when flying online on VATSIM) and also produce the same kind of effects you often find in professional in-flight/cockpit DVDs. Rather time consuming but the result is very cool !

The below clip shows the effect's I've been able to do. Didn't think I would upload this clip though at the time of recording since it only started as a pure test I made for myself so please disregard from my Swedish mumble in the video ;-) For anyone else new to FSX recording and in the same shoes I was when I started this thread this post will hopefully help you understand both what you can do and what programs you'll need.

I've also included direct links within the video where you can jump to the different effects/camera views (and also time stamps in the description) if playing the video on a device that doesn't support the YouTube direct links inside a video so you don't have to listen to my Swedish mumble for 40 minutes ;-)

The programs I ended up using to produce these kind of FSX movies are

- Virtual Audio Cable (to be able to record both FSX and ATC sound (both ATC speaking to me and me speaking to them))

- Action! (A much better and modern alternative to FRAPS where you won't get the same FPS hit but still good IQ quality)

- FS Recorder (to capture FSX footage from different angles/views)

- Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 (to render the final video and add different effects like PiP etc)

Here's the movie clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXlE0KUBHo&feature=youtu.be

Richard Åsberg