Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Captain Sim 757 - Worth It?

I couldn't resist the CS 757 in a sale, took one look at it and de-installed it.  If you're used to PMDG or similar, it's awful.  FSX crashes, a whole raft of tweeks you have to put in to make it work but will probably interfere with all your other aircraft...  Clearly some like it but my advice in summary - don't.

There's a Level D 757 which has been in development for years - I I'd buy that in a flash if it ever come out.

ngxu_banner.png

QualityWings sells on multiple sites. However, they only sell their Avro 146 on via the Flight1 wrapper system. The B757 package isn't available through Flight1.

Thanks for correcting me, obviously I must've mixed it

I can also find no way of changing the distance on the ND from within the VC without bringing up the 2D EFIS panel. Is that another thing that you can't do from the VC?

I'll check that in a minute and I'll report back.

Thanks for correcting me, obviously I must've mixed it

I'll check that in a minute and I'll report back.

I've found the problem. It's because I'm using the retrofit upgraded displays. The 2D panel must be called up to change the range on the ND.

A shame, but it looks like i'll be resorting to the 'classic' display mode!

Yup, that seems to be the problem indeed.I just haven't recognized that earlier, because I only use the classic mode only, anyways.

I can understand that you're a bit disappointed, though.

Yup, that seems to be the problem indeed.I just haven't recognized that earlier, because I only use the classic mode only, anyways.

I can understand that you're a bit disappointed, though.

Well for £30 I'm not really bothered, it's just a couple of little touches that for me would have made it considerably better.

Calling up 2D panels totally ruins the immersion for me but I will get around the EFIS by reverting to standard displays.

For the price it's a decent addition to the hangar, and a nice change from the NGX. :)

If you are interested in the CS757 and want to know more about it, AVSIM has an Unofficial Captain Sim Forum where individuals have posted issues and fixes.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I settled on the QW in the end and although there are a couple of little niggles, I think I will get plenty of enjoyment from it!

Martin

Sadly, as you have discovered, there are not solid 757s out there. The CS is a half-finished piece of junk. The FMS is a joke - probably about 20% of the real thing's functionality.  And CLS makes "lite" planes - very light on systems.

Maybe, before I file for social security, Level D will release their 757...

But that has been so long in development, I think it was originally going to be offered with a dial-up modem.

Colin

There's one coming for XPX, as I understand is due out this month... but I share the frustration that nothing really good is out there or even close (it seems) for FSX.

Thanks, Bruce.

Sadly, as you have discovered, there are not solid 757s out there. The CS is a half-finished piece of junk. The FMS is a joke - probably about 20% of the real thing's functionality.  And CLS makes "lite" planes - very light on systems.

Maybe, before I file for social security, Level D will release their 757...

But that has been so long in development, I think it was originally going to be offered with a dial-up modem.

Colin

I think in hindsight I may have been a little hard on the QW757. Sadly that's what products such as the NGX do to our expectations and tolerance for anything but the best!

I did my first full flight in the 757 earlier and aside from a couple of little niggles enjoyed it immensely.

One thing that does concern me is that it seems that if you load a saved flight, you lose all the information from the FMC, flightplan, performance data etc. So if - like me - you get CTDs in FSX, the auto save function of FSUIPC becomes no longer a lifesaver, as you won't be able to finish your flight anyway, not from where you left off anyway.

Sadly, as you have discovered, there are not solid 757s out there. The CS is a half-finished piece of junk. The FMS is a joke - probably about 20% of the real thing's functionality. And CLS makes "lite" planes - very light on systems.

As you'll see in the Unofficial CS Forum, I and many others were very satisfied with the CS757.  I provided a lot of assistance to those who were having issues with the product and was able to fix most of their problems.  I thought the FMS worked great and never considered the product to be half-finished. I think if you visit the forum you will see both happy and very unsatisfied users. CS continued to provide updates to the product based on some complaints (I personally did not see the issues) and I thought the product was complete.  There were a lot of great repaints and liveries too.  I know I cannot change your mind but I really tire of this constant CS bashing instead of trying to make the product work.  Maybe I'm more satisfied than others because I got it when it was on sale for $9.99. I agree 100% with Martin above.  With the NGX we have expectations and tolerance for nothing but the best.  Sadly though, they don't occasionally sell any of their aircraft for $9.99.

Unfortunately the CS757 is no longer in my hangar (as well as the QW757 or the LevelD767) as I spend 99.9% of my time flying the PMDG737 but I might pull it out someday just for fun....

Respectfully,

Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In all fairness, while I don't think CS sells "junk" intentionally, I don't think it's the better of the 2 offerings either. It's not bad once you get to tweak it and help it get up and running, but I found the QW 757 to be better value for money. After all, even though CS products can be gotten to work in nearly all cases or even work out of the box, not every user is interested in doing just that. If we're honest with ourselves, this (having to tinker with a purchased product) shouldn't even be considered acceptable standard. That said, I think Martin has been helped satisfactory and the thread can gently be laid to rest -before it turns into a CS bash fest- on the conclusion that CS' 757 may be worth it at a sale and after some tinkering and certainly isn't rubbish, but right out of the box (and subjectively even against a tinkered CS) QW's 757 is probably going to be your better choice.

With regards to the niggly issue you found though Martin: you can load your flight path in FSX's Flight Planner and then load it up from there into the FMS. That shouldn't take more than, say, a minute or so. It's a workaround, granted, but it's faster than manually having to re-enter everything! Glad you found a rendition you like in any case, the 757 is a marvelous bird in my book.  ^_^

Yes I certainly didn't intend this thread to get into a CS bashing! Funnily enough after reading one glowing review I found I actually made this thread thinking I was going to buy it.

But I must say I'm all in all quite pleased with the QW757 for less than £30. Sometimes we just expect too much, I blame PMDG. Lol. It's nice having something different to fly.

Funny how your expectations change. 2 years ago I was happy with the Just Flight 757 in FS9, using a 2D panel!

So many great threads go unread.  Makes me think of the classic animated Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys.

All those great, informative threads that nobody ever reads. Much better to start a new one with the same old information being posted.  I know, it's actually a say to load up the NSA data center!

Another way of saying it, AVSIM should simply remove the forum search function. It's NEVER used anymore.

Just saying.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

So many great threads go unread.  Makes me think of the classic animated Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys.

All those great, informative threads that nobody ever reads. Much better to start a new one with the same old information being posted.  I know, it's actually a say to load up the NSA data center!

Another way of saying it, AVSIM should simply remove the forum search function. It's NEVER used anymore.

Just saying.

Dave

Not sure if your point was aimed at me, but I actually started my opening post by mentioning that I had been searching past threads. In fact if you've read the whole of this thread you will have noticed that I nearly ended up buying the CS on that basis. People's opinions can change, updates are released etc. and I was just looking for the most "up to date" consensus. I happen to use the search function often.