Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

X-Plane 10 HD Mesh v2 - PREVIEW

guys i dont own xplane but can i help u guys create OSMs ?

Hello you're welcome. You can help by checking all the roads and railways and lakes where you live. No-one here knows your local area better than you. It's very easy to edit with iD Editor, or with JOSM. There's a video here:

http://goo.gl/Dwjl1v

Here's a beginner's guide and video tutorials:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners'_guide

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Video_tutorials

You can find very good services based on OpenStreetMap where you can use your data:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_based_Services

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IOS

And you can even use this in FSX: http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?pid=573754#p573754

Yesterday and this evening I spent some time checking all my edits: bridges, railways, communication towers (man_made=mast), wind-turbines inside X-Plane after a new XPOSM + OSM2XP import. I also tried to detect if I missed a pond somewhere.

AS350B3-01-th.jpg AS350B3-02-th.jpg AS350B3-03-th.jpg

I would like to repeat again, that now is the time to work on your OSM additions! I am planning to do the next (and hopefully final) OSM data import for HD Mesh Scenery v2 (and for future official re-cuts from Laminar - don't ask me for the exact plans here) in approximately 3 weeks (around the first days of October)!

So if you want to add water features (linear rivers, polygon rivers/lakes or revise coastlines) or add / improve some roads / railroads / power lines, then do it now and chances are really good that you will see the results in the upcoming HD Mesh Scenery v2!

And as a side note: yes, Canada will be coming! The results with new landclass are very good. And maybe you might consider adding some OSM work (especially water) at the Canada West coast, as it seems to be lacking quite a bit of it!

Are you including Africa? Been flying a lot there recently and it could use some work...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

No. If you read the first page, I already listed what I plan to include.

The big problem is, that we are already talking about - for Europe / USA / Alaska and parts of Canada - more than 60 GBytes of data ...

That could sell as an extention for X-Plane 10. It is certainly a very hard work.

You could provide for free only one of the areas, and sell the rest.

Those who really want it will certainly buy, and this will help dedicating your time and efforts to other areas, like Africa, Asia, Oceania...

Honestly, such a huge improvement doesn't make sense to be offered by nothing, or only based in "donation". There is way too much work and effort behind it!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No. If you read the first page, I already listed what I plan to include.

And if you read the first page, you'll see that you yourself listed "... etc. (depends on the data size ... but this time the single DSFs will be even larger, so ...)" as a possible area, which could include Africa, no? :rolleyes:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Its my decision to do it the way I do it .... which you might or might not understand after reading my last interview with flightsim.com:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13946-Interview-With-Andras-Fabian

• lot (or most) of the work I do is not just for my HD Mesh Scenery (or other projects) but is also going directly into the Laminar Scenery dev process (well, effectively all of this is going side-by-side and I just release some "special" versions which Laminar is not doing at the moment - because of other priorities / interests / etc.)
  • Having it free helps to spread the gospel (many many more people will see it this way) :Angel:
  • I have no plans to do all of this in a commercial way, as it would need a totally different level of dedication and amount of time .... and I don't have any more time to spend on this (I already do much more than a sane person would do in his free time) ... I don't need this hassle, and this way I can continue to do it as a hobby (where there is no big / unnecessary extra pressure --> which I don't need, really)
  • I am a Linux / Open Source user and like this mentality (... which doesn't stops me from accepting you kind donations B) :lol: )
  • Believe me, I already release those regions which profit the most from the HD Mesh Scenery approach. South America / Africa / Asia / Australia still don't have good enough (detailed etc.) landclass data .... without that, HD Mesh is far less interesting (thats why I now add Canada ... where I finally found good enough replacement landclass data).

And if you read the first page, you'll see that you yourself listed "... etc. (depends on the data size ... but this time the single DSFs will be even larger, so ...)" as a possible area, which could include Africa, no? :rolleyes:

Yes, I wrote that ... and thus I say ... no. I won't. See reasons above.

I would like to repeat again, that now is the time to work on your OSM additions! I am planning to do the next (and hopefully final) OSM data import for HD Mesh Scenery v2 (and for future official re-cuts from Laminar - don't ask me for the exact plans here) in approximately 3 weeks (around the first days of October)!

I hope FSX/P3D users will finally start contributing to OpenStreetMap. They'll soon be able to download the same vectors after buying a payware installer:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420499-orbx-announces-ftx-global-vector-and-iceland-free-demo/#entry2792912

So if you want to add water features (linear rivers, polygon rivers/lakes or revise coastlines) or add / improve some roads / railroads / power lines, then do it now and chances are really good that you will see the results in the upcoming HD Mesh Scenery v2!

And as a side note: yes, Canada will be coming! The results with new landclass are very good. And maybe you might consider adding some OSM work (especially water) at the Canada West coast, as it seems to be lacking quite a bit of it!

Hi, what do I need to know to edit rivers and streams ? If I add a stream in open street map will it be visible in the next recut, how big will it be ?, etc.... Whats a linear river, polygon river ?, etc...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

About your "concurrent product"... VECTOR will not have all the details we already have in X-Plane:

"There are no residential roads"

Source: their new FAQ here.

Andras, I guess it's the final countdown before your final OpenStreetMap download. Do we have one week left to improve the data, or less ? This flight yesterday was part of my "quality" control for the roads and railways.

:wink:

You definitely have a full week left .... I think I will do the import somewhere around the 3rd of October (which is a national holiday here).

So yes, its the "final countdown"!

Hi MdMax .... no, at the moment not, because it is applied to rarely ... linear rivers just get a generic width (don't ask me what value that exactly is - maybe something around 5-10m). This makes life a lot easier for me and still looks good enough.