Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Mobile phones and aircraft.

....with that kind of money the airlines have more then enough budget to have the business traveller connected.....

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed at all, I was just raising the point that during takeoff and landing it is still potentially quite dangerous to have passengers using PEDs.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed at all, I was just raising the point that during takeoff and landing it is still potentially quite dangerous to have passengers using PEDs.

My post wasn't directed at you just adding to this thread....the way that AeroMobile works is you can't use it during the takeoff and landing, you can use it once you get high enough above the earth that you won't connect to ground systems any more, and that is when AeroMobile becomes available...at that point the airline has a monopoly as you are charged big time roaming fees to use the system.

For the business traveller they really only use the system for text messaging to be able to continue to be connected to the office on long haul flights, and that doesn't cost as much, or annoy people around you by talking on your phone. Reality is Digital Phones are used for most other things these days other then talking so you are not really disrupting people like 10 years ago when people used to use phones in public.

People just want to text these days and on flights more then ever.

Cheers Mate

Matthew Kane

My post wasn't directed at you just adding to this thread....

No problem, a misunderstanding on my behalf.

Thanks for the info on the operation of the system, quite a clever business idea when you think abut it.

With many jet transports cruising five to eight miles above the ground and the conductive aluminum skin of most of those aircraft I'm surprised the cell towers and cell phones could even detect each other. I'm thinking any signals that do find their way into or out of the cabin would have to go through the small area of the windows, which would add to the distance to the tower because for all but window seat passengers the signals would have to link to towers at significant horizontal distance from the plane.

Thanks Jeremy, Ryan, John-Alan and Bill. Bill that's interesting, had never really thought about that. Is it just an opinion that a cell phone moving at aircraft speeds across different cells might cause problems, or is it a fact? Not disputing you, just seeking clarification.

It is not just a theory, it is a fact. For the very same reason, I could not use any 2m or 440 MHz amateur repeaters while airborne.

Even at a low power of 2 watts, there is a very real probablility that I'd wind up triggering multiple repeaters even from as low as 4,000' AGL Because of that, only simplex (i.e., direct) frequencies are allowed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1watt nextels are horrible on board. If I fly and forget to turn mine off I really can hear it in my headset.

Most of the problems stem from electrical shielding. And navigation receivers are very sensitive. Sprint is about to use the 800mhz spectrum for LTE devices which is even closer than the 1900mhz to the frequencies the aircraft equipment uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."