Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Moe

ATI , Clouds and DX10

During a flight right now from London to Copenhagen i was testing some clouds distance settings in FL390 and found out that my PC does not like Clouds in DX10.

When i set the draw distance to MAX the FPS dropped to 8 frome 22. This was not so dramatic in DX9.

Any ideer´s? this is with medium covering btw

Michael Moe

PS!

Normally i would leave it at 60nm draw distance but found it weird to this DX10  huge drop.

I7-950@4,2

ATI HD5870 1GB OC

SSD128GB W7 64

RAPTOR 300GB 10000RPM FSX

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

During a flight right now from London to Copenhagen i was testing some clouds distance settings in FL390 and found out that my PC does not like Clouds in DX10.

When i set the draw distance to MAX the FPS dropped to 8 frome 22. This was not so dramatic in DX9.

Any ideer´s? this is with medium covering btw

Michael Moe

PS!

Normally i would leave it at 60nm draw distance but found it weird to this DX10  huge drop.

I7-950@4,2

ATI HD5870 1GB OC

SSD128GB W7 64

RAPTOR 300GB 10000RPM FSX

What AA setting? Default DX10 AA and what are you setting your AA method to in the driver (or Radeon Pro)? Multisample? Adaptive or Supersample? Cloud density Max? High?

I will try it in the default 747. I have NEVER been that high in FSX to be honest. Light and Medium twins is my cup o tea ala JS41/B200/Duke Turbine

C.

Not too many clouds at FL390 are there?  I'm wondering what else you have installed (i.e., REX, AS2012, OPUS, FEX, GEX, etc.).  Some of those programs are really nasty if you have those cloud settings set to 4096 (HD) and you have high settings in the fsx.cfg too.  With any newer technology than DX9, you will find anomalies between the two.  DX10 preview was not developed fully for FSX and that was admitted by the developers/programmers.  It has a lot of bugs, unknown bugs.  In certain circumstances you will see lower fps especially if FSX has to render textures made from older versions of FS.  In other words, it is not a perfect technology but most of the time it works well in FSX/Acceleration.  DX10 Preview is only suppose to give you maybe a 5-10 fps increase according to the developers.  I know if I have a different view in DX10 Preview, fps will be high looking in one direction and very low when looking in another direction.  I can't compare this to DX9 as I haven't used DX9 for a long time and cannot remember but I would suspect that's the same as DX9 is not a perfect technology either.   

Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about fps anymore in FSX as I now have the Haswell i7 4770K and the GTX780 with 3GB of memory as long as I keep my fsx settings down.  So far it has provided excellent performance for FSX in DX10 mode.  Hopefully you can find a solution to your problem!

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the respons Jim,

I am only using 1024 textures for know until my HD7970 OC arrives. Nice system you have there  :-)

I have just reinsstalled the shader 3.2.2. and got rid of the Shader3.0=1 (dx9 related right ?) in fsx.cfg and i will test some more during flights. 

Clouds seems to take a much bigger FPS HIT in DX10 than DX9 on my system. Where i had down to 8 FPS in DX10 i was getting 19FPS in DX9.

FL390 looking down below btw :-)

Michael Moe 

I am only using 1024 textures for know until my HD7970 OC arrives. Nice system you have there  :-)

I have just reinsstalled the shader 3.2.2. and got rid of the Shader3.0=1 (dx9 related right ?) in fsx.cfg and i will test some more during flights. 

Clouds seems to take a much bigger FPS HIT in DX10 than DX9 on my system. Where i had down to 8 FPS in DX10 i was getting 19FPS in DX9.

Michael Moe 

How much RAM do you have? Maybe it's swapping a lot when flying fast.

You could also try other cloud textures and see if it improves. If you are using REX textures, did you check the DXT5 compression?

The FPS-drop shouldn't be that bad, but heavy weather is also 'heavy' on a system. What kind of weather did you have active, major storms?

How much RAM do you have? Maybe it's swapping a lot when flying fast.

You could also try other cloud textures and see if it improves. If you are using REX textures, did you check the DXT5 compression?

The FPS-drop shouldn't be that bad, but heavy weather is also 'heavy' on a system. What kind of weather did you have active, major storms?

No this was Active Sky 2012 with default settings and vice versa with REX no HD textures.  - no changing but i did another flight this evening and i cannot believe that i gain my FPS again back up in the upper 20´s by leaving the FANSPEED by system in CCC. The temp was rising to 75c but my system recovered ??????? WHAT the ??

My Corsair Proff series 850w might be to small ? hmm will test some more :-)

Damn FSX is a still after all these years a mystery

Michael Moe

The Corsair PSU 850KW is what I have in my system since i7 2600K.  It works well.  Unfortunately, trying to replicate your issue is difficult at least for me.  Your GPU temp of 75c does seem to be high.  Properly seated with PCI power cables attached?  Sometimes just shutting down FSX and restarting it will fix a lot of problems but I would also look at any tweaks you placed in the FSX.cfg.  Most create more problems if not properly configured.  Bufferpools settings are the most common cause of issues.  Hope you get it worked out.

Best regards,

Jim

[..]

Michael Moe 

By the way, speaking of looking down from above, in spot view where you put your camara right on top of the plane and look straight down on plane and scenery, the FPS drops immensly

For some reason that is a HUGE fps hit for me at least. If  you change the angle of the viewpoint a little bit, then the low fps is gone. The same happens when you put the viewpoint completely down and look straight up. I can't figure out why that is.

So i hope you didn't base your fps on that, lol :)

Thanks. No it was when i was looking out the window in the ngx.

Michael Moe

Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about fps anymore in FSX as I now have the Haswell i7 4770K and the GTX780 with 3GB of memory as long as I keep my fsx settings down. So far it has provided excellent performance for FSX in DX10 mode. Hopefully you can find a solution to your problem!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, nice system you have. Hey. What CPU clock you at? Also, what cloud density, draw distance, scenery complexity and AG density settings have you settled on as "comfortable"? Do you use AI traffic and road vehicles?

I find airport vehicles a major killer! Is it just me?

C.

Michael Moe

Most people I know stick with 1024 texture clouds to prevent long haul related OOM's and dense overcast stutters when using high AA settings. Personally, I find some of the HD clouds unrealistic looking.

C.

I'm at 4.2GHz.  Getting BSOD's at 4.4 to 4.6 but had 4.6 for a whole day before the 0124 Stop Code BSOD's.  No Autogen as I have MegaSceneryEarth V2 States but do use it if I enable Orbx PNW stuff.  Use AS2012 for weather and have textures set at 2048.  Yesterday I did a flight from FSDT KORD to Taxi2Gate KSTL with AS2012 enabled and got 20-30 fps at Chicago and St Louis and 45-50 fps at cruise.  I'm pleased....

Best regards,

Jim

I am only using 1024 textures for know until my HD7970 OC arrives. Nice system you have there :-)

Michael Moe

All I can offer concerning DX10, ATI and Clouds...

Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2, 8GB PC3 1600 RAM, HD7970 3GB

REX 2048 clouds, FSX Default Water @ Low 2.x, Scenery Complexity Very Dense, AG Dense, Max Cloud Density Coverage, 70 miles radius. LOD Radius 4.5

OpusFSX Overcast theme saved from a previous flight.

Keeping in mind. If I fly around in bad multi layer weather in the JS41, DX10 or not, there can easily be drops into the 20's. Especially when there is a lot of autogen present and visible.

xSkUZ.jpg

VWsoM.jpg

Thanks,

Btw  . is there a quick test option setup method in Active Sky 2012 to force overcast and bad weather settings ?  Sometimes you just want to fly in these :-)

Michael Moe

Thanks,

Btw . is there a quick test option setup method in Active Sky 2012 to force overcast and bad weather settings ? Sometimes you just want to fly in these :-)

Michael Moe

Not sure. I use Opus. Sometimes when I set to real world weather in Opus, I get a sweet looking situation I might want later. The I just save it in Opus and it is saved as a static theme in FSX weather selection menu. :-)

Since you are getting a 7970... Just want to tell you. Start with almost no tweaks. I'm running none. Reason is stability in DX10 mode with some of them suffers. Example. Usepools=0. That tweak results in artifacting a and visual corruption. In DX9 it works fine and does increase fps a little. I have not found pools settings yet that work. Not that I see a need mind you. In DX10 mode, tweaks just don't seem to be needed. At least with ATI. All I have is highmemfix and I set wide view aspect to true. Vsync and super sample forced in radeonpro.

C.