Sign in to follow this  
Sharky05

Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge

Let the people with big experience say what they think. What will be the best choice for FSX with the latest add-ons (PMDG, Mega Airports and so on)?
The compare will be:
Sandy i7 2600k vs Ivy i7 3770k
or
Sandy i5 2500k vs Ivy i7 3570k

Expected overclock will be arround 4.0-4.2-4.4 GHz.
If you prefere i5 than i7 tell why.
I've read many about the difference. One is hotter, the other is 5% more powerful but the real in-sim test is the best way to compare.
So share your experience.

All I can say is that I have an i7 3770K running at 4.5 GHz. No de-lidding. Temps are great in FSX, and the sim runs very, very well. Frame rate is very high and very rarely a stutter.

I don't even bother to set the frame rate lock low, I have it at 50.

Do consider though, that I don't go in for hyper detailed payware airports or OrbX or super high sliders.

Detailed add-on's like the NGX and REX, UTX, GEX is my thing.

Some say that the i7's tend to be better overclockers, as the less competent chips are reserved for i5's. So worth considering i7, even if you don't need HT.

Personally, I would say 2500K/2600K is not the right choice. Yes they overclock higher than Ivy Bridge, but Ivy Bridge has a faster architecture. And as you are only expecting to overclock to 4.5, a non de-lidded 3770K will achieve that. Cooling would need to be NH-D14, Silver Arrow, or a top of a range closed loop water cooler.

Am I right in saying you don't want to go for Haswell? Not changing your motherboard, is that it?

May I add that there are other pieces of hardware that are just as important, like gpu and HDD.  I have an i-7 coupled with a mid-ranged gpu and run FSX on an SSD so overall, I get decent performance.  Lags usually occur with more "intense" payware aircraft, like PMDG.  I am a firm believer that your system should cater to the style and experience you want.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

All I can say is that I have an i7 3770K running at 4.5 GHz. No de-lidding. Temps are great in FSX, and the sim runs very, very well. Frame rate is very high and very rarely a stutter.

I don't even bother to set the frame rate lock low, I have it at 50.

Do consider though, that I don't go in for hyper detailed payware airports or OrbX or super high sliders.

Detailed add-on's like the NGX and REX, UTX, GEX is my thing.

Some say that the i7's tend to be better overclockers, as the less competent chips are reserved for i5's. So worth considering i7, even if you don't need HT.

Personally, I would say 2500K/2600K is not the right choice. Yes they overclock higher than Ivy Bridge, but Ivy Bridge has a faster architecture. And as you are only expecting to overclock to 4.5, a non de-lidded 3770K will achieve that. Cooling would need to be NH-D14, Silver Arrow, or a top of a range closed loop water cooler.

Am I right in saying you don't want to go for Haswell? Not changing your motherboard, is that it?

I'll second that statement. Have my 3770K at 4.5 Ghz with no de lidding and on air (a $30 CM Hyper 212 EVO). FSX performance is superb. It is also faster clock for clock than SB. Don't want to take anything away from SB chips though as they are great CPU's as well.

No Haswell. And not because I don't want to change MB, but thinking of getting second hand i7 instead of new i5.

Lets say the i5 3570k will be at 4.2GHz, what will be the RAM freq.? 1600, 1866, 2133... and so on. I mean does it goes up when CPU goes up like old E**** CPUs?

RAM Freq is fixed. 

Lets say the i5 3570k will be at 4.2GHz, what will be the RAM freq.? 1600, 1866, 2133... and so on. I mean does it goes up when CPU goes up like old E**** CPUs?