Sign in to follow this  
jfri

What will I have to deal with if I choose Win 8 for my FSX system ?

I'm trying to decide which OS I should choose for my new buid dedicated to FSX (and other flightsims) and games. I see three alterntive

1) Win 8 OEM

2) Win 7 OEM

3)Win 7  retail

Because of the license term for the Win 8 OEM it's my favorite sofar. But what issues will I have and can they be resolved or worked around.

It's a must that my FSX set will function in Win 8 if I'm going to buy it.

So what issues are there ? I have heard  of two

1) Loosing joystick connection when switching to another windows. But my impression i that working solution exist with FSUIPC, Or ?

2) The EZdok addon not working good in FSX. TRue ? Whats the problem. What can be done ?

I myself have thought of one thing

3) More complicated to config Win 8 so it works as best with FSX. Are the needed tweaks and settings readaly available on what and how to do ?

My wish is to be able to use Win 8 but issues meaning that I can't run FSX as I like is unacceptable. Feedback from FSX with Win 8 users appreciated.

What if you were to build a new system very soon which alternative would you pick ?

I have WIN 8 (came with my new computer) and like it very much so far. I've had it since January this year. Yes, I had the joystick (yoke and pedals) problem, however, FSUIPC fixed that. I also have EZdok and have had NO issues at all. I have no tweaks going and FSX has been very smooth. I guess it depends on your entire system. I use the following anytime I fly with no issues. EZdok, Active Sky 2012, FS Commander, and sometimes Plan-G, FSINN, TeamSpeak 3, and then I'll have the internet explorer open to file flight plans with my online flying club.

I should be receiving TrackIR 5 tomorrow, so I'll see how that works also.

Overall....I like it.

Just my opinion and experience with my WIN8 system.

Rod

Rod Beck

To answer point 3 in your list of two :mellow:

Do not install FSX into C:\program files at all, better to avoid C:\program files (x86) also,

best to create your own folder, ie FSX on the C drive or elsewhere.

Set fsx.exe to run as an administrator.

You will need to apply the UIAutomationCore.dll fix, well documented elsewhere.

You should then have no more problems with FSX than you might under Windows 7.

Regards,

Nick

When I had Win 8 I was happy except my joysticks kept disconnecting. I tried FSUIPC with solved it a little but in the end I went back to Win 7. I recommend it for FSX/P3D/XPX or for any games.

I agree with NCooper about installing your FSX in a separate directory other than Program Files(x86), running FSX as Administrator, and using UIAutomationCore.dll. Sorry I didn't mention that.

Just an update from my previous post, I received and installed TrackIR 5, and with everything running as mentioned above, I have no problems.

Rod

Rod Beck

Installed Windows 8 3 times, FSUIPC did not fix the issue for me

Went back to Windows 7, no issues.

If you want to inflict extra pain on yourself and do less flying,use Windows 8,as for me,stick with Windows 7 64bit.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

agree with NCooper about installing your FSX in a separate directory other than Program Files(x86), running FSX as Administrator, and using UIAutomationCore.dll.

The first thing I have been aware of and is practicing since long. The second about the .dll is new for me.

Installed Windows 8 3 times, FSUIPC did not fix the issue for me

Went back to Windows 7, no issues.

If you want to inflict extra pain on yourself and do less flying,use Windows 8,as for me,stick with Windows 7 64bit.

Do you mean the fix posted in the joystick mega thread ? My impression is that it fixes the problem. I find it strange that it should work for everyone except from a very few.

I have Win 7 64 bit on my current FSX system and it's bound to that system since it's oem. The same would be the case if I get a new Win 7 oem license but not for Win 8. That's why I find it hard to buy Win 7.

I might also point out that I have experienced disconnecting joysticks in Win 7 although in a somewhat different and not so bad way. The disconnect is there from the start of loaded flight and not after some time.

Well I tried the fix 3 times and it's not 100% reliable,hence,moved back to Windows 7

I might give 8.1 a try for testing when it's finally released but I don't have much hope. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Just got a laptop with Windows 8 on it. So far I have to say I cannot get used to it at all. It wouldnt be my choice of OS

If you have the option to get Windows 7, then why get anything else? Unless you really want the latest and (not so) greatest OS... Windows 7 is basically XP 2.0. Everything works on it, and FSX is certified for it (Starting with Acceleration expansion).

I've always installed FSX into Program Files and I've never had any problems. I do run FSX as an administrator, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the option to get Windows 7, then why get anything else? Unless you really want the latest and (not so) greatest OS... Windows 7 is basically XP 2.0. Everything works on it, and FSX is certified for it (Starting with Acceleration expansion).

I've always installed FSX into Program Files and I've never had any problems. I do run FSX as an administrator, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a matter of fact I have ordered a new Win 7 Home Premium x64 OEM version after strong advice from NickN. The reason for me being reluctant to that is that a Win 8 OEM license could be moved to another motherboard which isn't the case with Win 7. On the other hand my new build has ended up so expensive that replacing the motherboard can't come into question for a very long time.

I had WIN7 for a long time, and think it's a fantastic OS. However, I ordered the new computer and it came with WIN8 (if I would've known if I could order it with WIN7, I would've.), and as I mentioned before I like it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones and haven't had any major problems to dislike it.

Also, I uninstalled FSX from the directory I had created before (C:\FSX), reinstalled FSX in the default directory (Program Files X86) on 14 July, along with FSC9, Active Sky 2012, EZDOK, TrackIR 5, and everything is working just fine. I run FSX as administrator.

Rod

Rod Beck

Do not install FSX into C:\program files at all, better to avoid C:\program files (x86) also,
best to create your own folder, ie FSX on the C drive or elsewhere.

I remember this to but forgot when I installed new system, win8 on SSD, and have FSX with + Acc where we know it shouldn't be in Program files, but I gotta ask, what problems?

Uh Oh?