Sign in to follow this  
bukeyolacan

FTX Global very soon

- Our openLC uses OSM data and a whole bunch of other data sources. It will not compete with UTX, it will just produce the best LC we can make. We likely won't cover the world with openLC by the end of this year, that will take us into 2014.

So it doesn't compete with UTX, yet it's a LC/Vector data product, which is what UTX is?

That's a bit confusing. Do you mean you just won't market it that way or it somehow does something different then UTX?

I'm speaking of the OpenLC addons later, not FTX Global's intial release.

No confusion needed :)

You can include vector landclass in any landclass product. That does not make it anything different than being a landclass product. So you'll have your 1km x 1km LC tiles, plus further defined LC vector shapes to place parks, forests, fields, docks etc.  At no stage in any of our language about openLC have we committed to adding roads, coastlines, railways etc. At this stage it's purely landclass and vector landclass.

That is vastly removed from the amount of data and additional scenery elements that Allen Kriesman adds to UTX. I am sure the Flight1 product page can list all of the features of UTX over and above an LC product alone.

I hope that helps define the difference?

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Orbx, on 11 Jul 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

No confusion needed :)

You can include vector landclass in any landclass product. That does not make it anything different than being a landclass product. So you'll have your 1km x 1km LC tiles, plus further defined LC vector shapes to place parks, forests, fields, docks etc. At no stage in any of our language about openLC have we committed to adding roads, coastlines, railways etc. At this stage it's purely landclass and vector landclass.

That is vastly removed from the amount of data and additional scenery elements that Allen Kriesman adds to UTX. I am sure the Flight1 product page can list all of the features of UTX over and above an LC product alone.

I hope that helps define the difference?

Totally clears it up.

The assumption was Vector data (mentioned in this post: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58801-ftx-global-update-may-2013/) was roads but now that you are specifying vector landclass data, that shows the difference.

What about UTX? Can it be used with that?

Yes, that's what was just clarified.

FTX Global + OpenLC replaces UTX's landclass features, night lighting, and custom textures, but UTX's vector data is still relevant (roads, railroads, and coastlines) as well as it's custom objects (bridges, etc.). This assumes you even want it to replace anything. Otherwise leave UTX on top and let all it's features be priority.

FTX Gobal's base product only overlaps UTX in the area of night lighting and custom textures (or you can keep using UTX's custom textures on top).

FTX Gobal's base product only overlaps UTX in the area of night lighting and custom textures (or you can keep using UTX's custom textures on top)

So I suppose the FTX Global installer will detect or ask if you have UTX installed and will replace UTX's custom textures(these are located in UTX-specific directories)?

Thanks.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

John Venema,

What would we have to do to install other scenery addones once we have installed FTXG?

Do we have to Set it to default and install other addons and then switch back?

Or can we keep it  in hybrid mode and never go back..even for installing other addons?

Currently I have set it for NA and I Install all addons under this NA and never switch back and forth. I

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes, that's what was just clarified.

FTX Global + OpenLC replaces UTX's landclass features, night lighting, and custom textures, but UTX's vector data is still relevant (roads, railroads, and coastlines) as well as it's custom objects (bridges, etc.). This assumes you even want it to replace anything. Otherwise leave UTX on top and let all it's features be priority.

FTX Gobal's base product only overlaps UTX in the area of night lighting and custom textures (or you can keep using UTX's custom textures on top).

Okay, so I can keep UTX on only for the custom stuff. Would I just uncheck them in the UTX menu? By saying "keep using UTX's custom textures", I'm assuming you're speaking about the roads, etc.

Also, you need to uninstall GEX NA for FTX-G, right? 

Edited by linux731

So I suppose the FTX Global installer will detect or ask if you have UTX installed and will replace UTX's custom textures(these are located in UTX-specific directories)?

Thanks.

No. UTX is going to be above FTX Global in priority. So if you don't want UTX's custom texture sets, go uncheck them in the setup utitlity.

Okay, so I can keep UTX on only for the custom stuff. Would I just uncheck them in the UTX menu? By saying "keep using UTX's custom textures", I'm assuming you're speaking about the roads, etc.

Also, you need to uninstall GEX NA for FTX-G, right? 

No, by custom textures I mean the several urban and vegetation texture sets UTX has. Roads, road encasements, bridges, etc. all work with their vector data and you want it on.

You don't need to uncheck anything except night lighting. If you don't want to use UTX's custom textures then you'd uncheck what you want under "other terrain features."

Yes, GEX NA needs to be uninstalled.

No, by custom textures I mean the several urban and vegetation texture sets UTX has. Roads, road encasements, bridges, etc. all work with their vector data and you want it on.

You don't need to uncheck anything except night lighting. If you don't want to use UTX's custom textures then you'd uncheck what you want under "other terrain features."

Yes, GEX NA needs to be uninstalled.

I see. Thanks.

Edited by linux731

No. UTX is going to be above FTX Global in priority. So if you don't want UTX's custom texture sets, go uncheck them in the setup utitlity.

So we lose the UTX urban landclass then, because UTX calls its own urban texture sets which are located in separate directories.  These textures aren't part of the Scenery/World/Texture/ default textures for the entire world, which is what FTX Global replaces.

One of the big features of FTX Global is their, it seems to me, much better urban textures, so we won't get accurate placement of these for the U.S., Canada, and Europe, which UTX provides, until openLC is released for these areas, unless ORBX decides to make these work with UTX.

ORBX did say that they were fixing/improving the default world landclass, but I don't know just how much better its going to be than UTX's urban landclass. 

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

So we lose the UTX urban landclass then, because UTX calls its own urban texture sets which are located in separate directories. These textures aren't part of the Scenery/World/Texture/ default textures for the entire world, which is what FTX Global replaces.

One of the big features of FTX Global is their, it seems to me, much better urban textures, so we won't get accurate placement of these for the U.S., Canada, and Europe, which UTX provides, until openLC is released for these areas, unless ORBX decides to make these work with UTX.

ORBX did say that they were fixing/improving the default world landclass, but I don't know just how much better its going to be than UTX's urban landclass.

UTX only adds 6 urban landclass textures. The rest is being called from your stock FSX textures.

I'd assume a simple modifcation would fix any conflict (copying FTX Global urban textures that pertain to them to where those 6 are located and replacing them for example) or Orbx may add an option like GEX that overwrites the UTX textures in their native folder.

It'll get worked out.

Orbx says it works with UTX and UTX will be able to call their urban textures. We'll find out exactly how at some point.

Hope this is the case.  That would be fantastic.

BTW, I think those 6 UTX urban textures are specifically what creates the parking lots, dock areas, and sport tracks.

So you may see no conflict at all just letting UTX place those over what it's calling from FTX Global. Even with FTX Global you'll still want parking lots and dock areas rendered because it just looks better.

I hope FTX Global updates those textures like GEX did though as they could use an update.

There is no conflict with the unique UTX textures, Holger has ensured this is the case. Our lclookup.bgl mods preserve all the UTX custom classes.

Any one knows if they have release any screenshot of the Caribbean , Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic , Cuba  ?

I'll put up some of Puerto Rico on our preview forums later today.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

BTW, I think those 6 UTX urban textures are specifically what creates the parking lots, dock areas, and sport tracks.

Ah, OK.  I thought that UTX used its own special city textures.  If its just the parking lots, docks, etc. then that should be no problem.  I just want to make sure I'm seeing FTX Global urban/suburban textures even if I use UTX urban landclass.

There is no conflict with the unique UTX textures, Holger has ensured this is the case. Our lclookup.bgl mods preserve all the UTX custom classes.

That's fantastic.  Just wanted to be sure that I'll see FTX Global urban textures even while using UTX urban landclass.

Thanks a lot.