Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EGLL77W

PMDG Terrain radar with ORBX FTX Global

Would anything they've done to develop FTX Global cause any issues with using the Terrain radar in the NGX and (soon) 777?

Cheers,

Luke

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Shouldn't they're just textures. It would be like how many of us use GEX now.

I am no expert, but I guess FTX Global will do no harm to the terrain awareness... since 1. FTX Global isn't about mesh, but rather about textures and maybe a bit of landclass and 2. the terrain awareness relies on PMDG's database, which is "independent" from FSX...

Gents-

We have no idea what you are talking about because there is no terrain radar...

(Are you talking about terrain awareness?  Yeah.... thats done using data, not radar... radar is unfeasible because you'd have huge blank spots behind any rising terrain.  LOL)

But to answer the actual question:  No.

I'm sure you're aware there's no mesh in FTX Global. But I see why you might be asking. Maybe there's extra tall autogen added that would not be visible in the terrain radar database? Unless its REALLY tall I don't think we need to worry about it. If it was a real problem I think orbx would have mentioned it. You should have collisions turned off anyway. I don't think you can hit autogen with it turned off

Gents-

(Are you talking about terrain awareness?  Yeah.... thats done using data, not radar... radar is unfeasible because you'd have huge blank spots behind any rising terrain.  LOL)

But to answer the actual question:  No.

:Whistle:

Awesome to hear lads - thank you all  ^_^

Radar/Database..... same thing..... right..........  :Monkey:

Maybe you'll realise the physiological effects of your glorious 777 torture!! :blink:  :rolleyes:  

Luke what you don't know is that the T7 is released, and we're all enjoying it...but your mind is stuck in the development phase still,you went a tad crazy waiting and your mind has gotten stuck in place and time.

Basically PMDG fried your brain..oh well keep your chin up!

Lee

Year 2014 flying the 777

Luke what you don't know is that the T7 is released, and we're all enjoying it...but your mind is stuck in the development phase still,you went a tad crazy waiting and your mind has gotten stuck in place and time.

Sorry can't talk right now - in the car, white jacket next to me.. Mother won't say where we're going. She just said "Robert says it's for the best"....  :(  :Nail Biting:

Gents-

(Are you talking about terrain awareness? Yeah.... thats done using data, not radar... radar is unfeasible because you'd have huge blank spots behind any rising terrain. LOL)

But to answer the actual question: No.

Lol your on fire lately

Radar/Database..... same thing..... right

These 'tutorials' are going to be 'sow ejumakatchonal'....

Probably because 99.9% of these so called 'tutorials' are created by spotty 14-18yr old lads with hoarse voices...with little explanation behind their methodology - they do the things the way they do 'just because'

Niceeee low shot. But you obviously didn't get the humour.... it's alright - many loose that in time  :biggrin:

Humour?

Damn...I thought you were being serious?

Would anything they've done to develop FTX Global cause any issues with using the Terrain radar in the NGX and (soon) 777?

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

Ohhhhh you're moaning at me because I called it a radar and not a database. My dear, sincere apologies  <_<  :lol:

G-CIVA, on 03 Jul 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:snapback.png

Probably because 99.9% of these so called 'tutorials' are created by spotty 14-18yr old lads with hoarse voices...with little explanation behind their methodology - they do the things the way they do 'just because'

Add the 'white jacket' to your description ...   :rolleyes:

To do some justice to Luke, there are addons around which simulate the database approach but actually read the sim scenery to collect the terrain data: In that case modifying the scenery (different mesh, for example) does change the depiction of your TERR ON ND.

To do some justice to Luke, there are addons around which simulate the database approach but actually read the sim scenery to collect the terrain data: In that case modifying the scenery (different mesh, for example) does change the depiction of your TERR ON ND.

Still not a 'radar' though is it?...more like a....ermmm a Terrain Database perhaps?

Still not a 'radar' though is it?...more like a....ermmm a Terrain Database perhaps?

Okay, we get it - I was wrong, I'm young, I make mistakes - unlike you obviously. Now may we move on?  :Peace:

In that case it simulates a terrain database. But the DB is not included in the (terrain gauge) installer; it's built by means of a flightsim (current) scenery scan: The result of that scan is a database.

Now call the scenery scan similar to operating a radar and any confusion is maximized!   :P

Okay, we get it - I was wrong, I'm young, I make mistakes - unlike you obviously. Now may we move on?  :Peace:

Unlike me: I'm old ... and I make mistakes!   :lol:

Lee: I corrected your post for you:   :LMAO:

Lee

Year 2015 flying the 777

Then please 'ejumakate' us;  show us and the rest of Avsim how a tutorial is supposed to be done

<_<  :Talking Ear Off:

Lee

Year 2014 flying the 777

Actually the year is 2033.....On route to Beta Reticulas (Turn left at the shoulder of Orion) Flying the 1077. :ph34r: :lol:

You missed a zero there, Mike.

Funny, I read the quote in your signature, and it says:

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something."

Funny, I read the quote in your signature, and it says:

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something."

:He He:  :He He:

Guys,

Our EGPWS terrain display reads compressed/processed elevation data files located in the PMDG/DEM folder, it does not read the simulator terrain directly. (there is actually no way to directly read terrain mesh in FSX - there was in FS9)

Then please 'ejumakate' us; show us and the rest of Avsim how a tutorial is supposed to be done

<_< :Talking Ear Off:

If you had the slightest bit of respect and the ability to do a smidgen of research, you'd know precisely that CIVA has given up many, many, many hours of his own time to educate hundreds, and maybe even thousands, of virtual pilots in the VA world and beyond.

Like many of us Old Farts, CIVA is simply bored of watching the forums here deteriorate from being a place of fun, respectful and informative discussion amongst people with a genuine passion for aviation, into a world of flame-wars and backbiting, sprinkled not so liberally with massive levels of intolerance. It's sad to see.

The likes of young Luke are merely a vocal and therefore obvious target, there are many more. The trouble with youth is that, as we all did when young, you just don't know what you don't know. Anyone that goes to the time and trouble to write a tutorial should be applauded, however, just because someone can write a tutorial, it doesn't mean that they know what they are doing. A lot of people here talk a good flight, but when it comes to the nitty gritty, cannot truly read and understand an FCOM, AMM, or SOP document, or even an approach plate, and in the process spread a lot of misinformation and cause bad habits.

Like myself, and i'm sure many others, CIVA is bored of the fan-worship culture here, and occasionally takes a dig. In this instance, Luke, the self professed fountain of all 777 knowledge ballsed up and opened himself up to ridicule. Ive seen many, many, many threads here where Luke has been the first to ridicule.

If you want to be able to dish it out, expect to have to take it.

Now.... When's the 777 out?

Many thanks

Paul.

Long time Flight Simmer

Former CEO of BA Virtual

Author of Many, Many documents for BAV

Still learning after all these years.

Yes, i get my satisfaction from being able to truly fly things as real as they get. CIVA has given up MANY hours of his time to teach me.