Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

Rig to prepare for the PMDG777 release ...

Nice tip ... I'm pretty good inside the case (I put my E8400 Wolfdale Duo Core2 3.0GHz machine together three years ago).  When I get my paycheck from the current client I'll drop the money for another SSD.  Right now, if I tried that, the wife would kill me!!

C. T.

When you get your SSDs make sure you back up regularly, which you should be doing anyway, i dont know about now, but when i built my SB i2500K system almost 2 years ago i went with the raptor 10,000rpm drives, i didnt go SSD simply because back then they had a lifespan of around 2 years or so.

When you get your SSDs make sure you back up regularly, which you should be doing anyway, i dont know about now, but when i built my SB i2500K system almost 2 years ago i went with the raptor 10,000rpm drives, i didnt go SSD simply because back then they had a lifespan of around 2 years or so.

I use Reflect (Pro edition) http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx but the Free edition is good too (full drive image backups).

Matthew S

I couldn't agree more about the SSD for Windows...You can see the difference with the ssd and I run FSX off a black caviar 1TB drive. I wish i would have made the change sooner.

Ash:

Thanks for replying ... I've taken the advice and called CyberPowerPC and modified the order for an SSD for the OS.  I cannot afford the SSD for FSX just yet ... as soon as I'm financially capable of doing so I'm going to get the Samsung 840 Pro as recommended above ... surprisingly enough CyberPowerPC allows me to add a drive to their build without voiding the warranty. 

These drives must be really good because Newegg is sold out of everyone except the 128 GB drives.

C. T.

He's not going to hit 4.7 on a Haswell CPU Alex - please don't recommend stuff unless you're fully sure of what you're saying. People who don't know better could destroy their CPUs trying to do that. Haswell (and Ivy Bridge to some extent) dissipate heat much worse than the Sandy Bridge chips do due to Intel using some cheap paste instead of fluxless solder between the die and heat spreader. To get SB-like overclocks on a Haswell you have to delid the CPU with a mallet and a 2x4 while it's held in a vise grip and then replace the bad TIM with liquid metal stuff that conducts heat better. Even with that you'll need something like a Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme or a custom Swifttech water loop to get to 4.8+.

Also to Charles - shell out for the SSD at least for the main system drive. They're not that expensive anymore (I like the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro right now) and it's one of the biggest performance gains you can make for a PC. You won't believe the difference in responsiveness - the system will boot in 5 seconds, applications will launch instantly with almost no load time etc.

Well said...IB and Haswell suck for OC...IB-E and Haswell-E will be a different story...

Aw shucks ... same old story ... bought too much too soon ... however ... this rig is definitely better than my E8400 Duo Core Wolfdale 3.0GHz !

I don't think even FSX will test the power of that rig.

This is just a whimsy ... but ... it is amazing what the Apollo 13 computer did with the critical calculations required to get those astronauts home.  Using a slide rule and basic math to determine that  the reentry angle was too shallow ... and that the difference in calculations resulted in the weight of rocks not collected since they didn't actually land on the moon. 

I'd give my left eye tooth to know if that was the truth ... if so ... we are soooooo spoiled.  That simple little computer under my desk (3 and 1/2 years old) is thousands of times more powerful than theirs ... is a scientific marvel.

Although ... I have to admit ... this computer uses "slightly" more power than that required to power a coffee pot. 

C. T.

To get SB-like overclocks on a Haswell you have to delid the CPU with a mallet and a 2x4 while it's held in a vise grip

Okay ... I surely thought this was a joke, hence my now not so funny response, but I just now saw the video I guess you were referring to.

My apologies, but I still don't think I have the nads to try it.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Sorry to bump this up a bit, but as my old pc just died on me I'm desperately looking for a new pc (little low on budget). What do you guys think is the best option of these 2 systems I've got in mind?:

System 1 (price €632 / $839,30)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 (quad-core, 4th generation Haswell) socket 1150, 4x 3.2GHz, 8MB CPU Cache Level 3 

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600 Transcend

HDD: 1000GB SATA3

GPU: NVIDIA GTX650 1GB DDR5

Mobo: GigabyteGA-B85M-HD3

System 2 (price €655 / $869,18)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3th generation, 4x 3.4 GHZ

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 

HDD: 1000GB SATA2 harddisk Western Digital / Seagate

GPU: NVIDIA GTX650 1GB DDR5

Mobo:Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1

My goal is to run FSX with OpusFSX, PMDG737NGX and fly at the Mega Airports of Aerosoft like Amsterdam - Paris - Nice etc.. With good AA and smooth FPS, especially on these airports. Is this a realistic goal with one of these systems?

Thanks for any reply!!

Sorry to bump this up a bit, but as my old pc just died on me I'm desperately looking for a new pc (little low on budget). What do you guys think is the best option of these 2 systems I've got in mind?:

System 1 (price €632 / $839,30)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 (quad-core, 4th generation Haswell) socket 1150, 4x 3.2GHz, 8MB CPU Cache Level 3 

HDD: 1000GB SATA3

GPU: NVIDIA GTX650 1GB DDR5

Mobo: GigabyteGA-B85M-HD3

System 2 (price €655 / $869,18)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3th generation, 4x 3.4 GHZ

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 

HDD: 1000GB SATA2 harddisk Western Digital / Seagate

GPU: NVIDIA GTX650 1GB DDR5

Mobo:Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1

My goal is to run FSX with OpusFSX, PMDG737NGX and fly at the Mega Airports of Aerosoft like Amsterdam - Paris - Nice etc.. With good AA and smooth FPS, especially on these airports. Is this a realistic goal with one of these systems?

Thanks for any reply!!

For the i5 4570, is it  unlocked? If not, you have to get one with a "K" next to the numbers in order to overclock and the get good performance

I don't know, don't think so actually because there is no "K" behind it. Is this a bad sign, I'd rather not OC because I'm not an expert at it  :P ! Heard FSX is pretty much CPU dependant, is system 2 per definition better or should I just go for system 1?

Some planes have the plexi scratches like the Carenado TBM850 also if you want the best performance and graphics I'd use DX10! Check on the DX10 forum here on Avsim on how to set it up right. Soon all the DX10 problems will be fixed once Steve gets "dx10 fixer" finished. Another thing a lot of people use to get those great graphics like in the video is either ENB or SweetFX both of those add a lot of beauty to FSX!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Ivy/Haswell platform is dual channel memory, not triple.  I'm assuming that's a 3x4 gb kit.  But the motherboard you chose has only two ram slots.  Regardless a dual channel matched pair 2x4 or 2x8 is what you need. I don't believe 2x6gb even exists.