Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

Rig to prepare for the PMDG777 release ...

In anticipation of the PMDG 777 ... this is what I got:

[CrossFireX] Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87-HD3 Chipset ATX MoBo

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (Overclocked to 4.2 GHz)

16 GB DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB 16x PCIe 3.0 (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooling)

Plus other stuff ... for maximum case cooling.

The only thing I didn't splurge on was an SSD drive.  But it has 2-2TB 7,500 rpm drives ... one for FSX and the other for Scenery and other stuff.

My budgetary limitation was $2,000 ... I was able to get this from CyberPowerPC for $1,931.00 ... with a three year warranty.

My question is this ... I've seen videos on YouTube where people are showcasing the ultra realistic graphics that is capable with FSX.  I've seen flexing wings ... scratches on Plexiglas windows ... etc.  So, what should I buy to really show off the graphical capability of this rig?

I already have REX Essentials for weather and textures in the air (the clouds are beautiful).  I have the McPhat repaint for the CaptainSim 757-200 (CS757 is a piece of junk in my opinion ... but then again I'm comparing everything to the PMDG standard.  I want the Level-D 767-300 ... which I've heard is a good plane ... which McPhat has a repaint for.  Unfortunately I don't think McPhat has it for the PMDG 737-800/900 ... does anyone have a Delta repaint of that quality for PMDG?  I've played with FSDreamTeam ... heard that FlyTampa is really good ... as well as Orbx ... but remember that the only flying I do is in the 737, 757, 767 and hopefully soon, the PMDG 777.  So, it seems to me that buying a bunch of scenery that cannot be seen from 30,000 ft. is not a great way to spend money.  So, it seems logical to buy as many high quality sceneries for the airports into which I frequently fly ... and leave the rest of it alone?

Does that make sense?  Anyone out there have some good advice ... I'd prefer to get that instead of wasting a bunch of money on products that I don't need.

Thanks in advance.

McPhat does not offer repaints for the PMDG NGX. I have to say, some of those extremely detailed graphics come after editing is done in some sort of video editor, especially rain effect/snow effect on windows, or those minute scratches and graphical impurities on the aircraft too. You will need to get the ORBX FTX Global to enhance all of the textures, or even better, albeit more expensive, use area specific scenery. If you will be making various youtube videos, you need high quality addon airports for both the departure and destination airports. You need good editing software for those videos to get those minute effects. I hear Sony Vegas is very good at those effects. If flying airliners a lot, then you're definitely going to need GSX or AES for ground service effects that will improve realism drastically.

I can confirm that Fly Tampa scenery is of a high quality. I have Athens & Hong Kong.

My home base is London Gatwick EGKK, and fly mainly in Europe. I have purchased UTX Europe for ground scenery, and Active Sky 2012 for weather. As for airport scenery I look to expand my route network from Gatwick when I can by adding airport scenery.

I suppose get an idea of where you want to fly, search the Internet for scenery, Avsim has free scenery addons, Aerosoft is another good place to look. There are many companies doing airport scenery.

In perperation for the 777 as I will be flying BA from EGKK. I have started getting some scenery for their route network.I recently got Barbados and Orlando KMCO from BluePrint Simulations.

Although this is in the wrong forum I can offer a few pointers:.

1) Firstly, Try and overclock as much as you can, for a sandy bridge 4.7 is a good benchmark so do your research in how your chip compares.

2) I would keep all FSX related stuff on one drive, I wouldn't go splitting scenery across different drives, someone may be able to clarify that for me.

3) When you say that Youtube videos have the window scratches, rain,  etc. etc. that is not taken from the sim itself, it is a post-effect using programs such as Sony Vegas.

4)The rest of your post is asking opinions about loads of different products, unrelated to PMDG. 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

He's not going to hit 4.7 on a Haswell CPU Alex - please don't recommend stuff unless you're fully sure of what you're saying. People who don't know better could destroy their CPUs trying to do that. Haswell (and Ivy Bridge to some extent) dissipate heat much worse than the Sandy Bridge chips do due to Intel using some cheap paste instead of fluxless solder between the die and heat spreader. To get SB-like overclocks on a Haswell you have to delid the CPU with a mallet and a 2x4 while it's held in a vise grip and then replace the bad TIM with liquid metal stuff that conducts heat better. Even with that you'll need something like a Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme or a custom Swifttech water loop to get to 4.8+.

Also to Charles - shell out for the SSD at least for the main system drive. They're not that expensive anymore (I like the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro right now) and it's one of the biggest performance gains you can make for a PC. You won't believe the difference in responsiveness - the system will boot in 5 seconds, applications will launch instantly with almost no load time etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Could anyone recommend a good SSD? Have decided to do one more upgrade in preparation for the 777, will setup a dual boot Win7 ultimate 64 bit using the SSD and rebuild another FSX on that. My original versions of FS9 & FSX will remain on my normal SATA drives as backups.

Just had a quick look at this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-162-SA

Cheers

Rob Prest

Sharing is caring...  :P

Do your research on the best CPU if you plan to overclock, and ensure the CPU has a K after the name (unlocked). Also get a o/c mobo (eg higher end ones give better CPU voltage).

I am looking to upgrade as well this autumn with a rig aimed at best FSX performance, so hyperthreading is a waste of money. Looking at saving some cash by moving to the "dead end" 1155 line...dang Intel and their tic/toc cycles.

spacer.png

To get SB-like overclocks on a Haswell you have to delid the CPU with a mallet and a 2x4 while it's held in a vise grip and then replace the bad TIM with liquid metal stuff that conducts heat better

Based on your recommendations, I attempted this procedure.  How do you get an Ivy Bridge chip that is busted into 14 pieces back together again.  Did I skip a step?

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Based on your recommendations, I attempted this procedure.  How do you get an Ivy Bridge chip that is busted into 14 pieces back together again.  Did I skip a step?

Duct tape!

Wow ... thanks for everything ... I was a little concerned by the heat dissipation problems with the i7-4770K "Haswell" to the i7-3820 "Sandy Bridge" ... but CyberPowerPC offers factory performed "extreme" overclocking (my hands won't be in that particular bowl of pudding) ... bundled together with the 3-year warranty ... it is also fairly heavily liquid cooled with a bunch of additional case fans. So, if it melts ... it is on them!

Thanks Mr. Maziarz for the warning ... I think if they perform a 20% overclocking for a net result of 4.2GHz that the PMDG 777 will run just fine.

I am going to call them and see if they will modify the order slightly to use an SSD for the OS drive ... thanks again Mr. M.

Sorry if this post was improper for this forum ... impropriety was not my intent ... just to get the attention of some more experienced PMDG users as well as employees.

I think, that all in all, this rig will work out fine for my needs. Since I'm already flying the PMDG 737NGX on a Duo Core 2 E8400 Wolfdale at 3.0GHz with a frame rate of about 12 ... this new PC will blow that performance out of the water.

Also, after I get the Level-D 767 certification out of the way at my current virtual airline ... next is the PMDG 777, then the 747 V2 and then the MD-11. So, for the near future, I'll be in the PMDG camp for quite some time ... and this PC should run all of those adequately. At that point we can start badgering them for the 787 Dreamliner ... without the battery problems!

Thanks for all of your help offered when I needed it most!

C. T. Blankenship

Could anyone recommend a good SSD? Have decided to do one more upgrade in preparation for the 777, will setup a dual boot Win7 ultimate 64 bit using the SSD and rebuild another FSX on that. My original versions of FS9 & FSX will remain on my normal SATA drives as backups.

Just had a quick look at this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-162-SA

Cheers

I did recommend one in the post immediately above the one you made...  I like the Samsung 840 Pro right now.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oops, missed it. Cheers

Rob Prest

I just called and adjusted my order ... now I have that for an OS drive and a 2TB 7,200 RPM for a Data drive.  Thanks for the tip!

I just called and adjusted my order ... now I have that for an OS drive and a 2TB 7,200 RPM for a Data drive.  Thanks for the tip!

I have two Intel 520 SSDs (240GB each, approx $300 each). I use one for the OS and one for FSX.  IMHO you need to put FSX on a SSD for stutter free performance.

I have a 2TB HDD for other (non fsx) data files.

I think if you're spending $2k on hardware then you shouldn't skimp on a dedicated SSD for FSX, it's worth the extra $300.

Matthew S