Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

Feature Request: Skip to Waypoint

Hi,

Do y'all think it might be possible to put in a "skip to waypoint" feature in the 777? Some kind of menu in the CDU that let's you skip to a waypoint would be very helpful for long flights.

Thanks. 

Yes, this is called DIRECT TO waypoint -option in the FMC.

Sorry, misunderstood  :ph34r:

Joona Väisänen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

no diff between "your" feature and direct to

777 and other commercial have it by the name of "direct to"(copyright by joon)

go and read manuals of boeing fmc and airbus fmgs,youll find it

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Sorry I might need to clarify... I do not mean the DIR TO function... I mean a meta function within the CDU menu that let's you "teleport" the plane to a specified waypoint. I know you can do this already with the map function but this would be more convenient and accurate. 

Ideal Flight has this feature you ask of, I haven't used it much on super complex planes but when I have used it, it worked very well.

Warp to approach is especially nice when in a hurry.

You know, you could do that pretty easily using the default 777 and the map function.

...heck, you could probably do it with the map function in the PMDG one when it comes out, but it may not like it too much.

I still don't understand why people want to fly long haul legs if they don't want to spend the time to do them.  The 777 has many shorter routes you can do.

The above is an opinion, for those who I know will take that as me telling people they can and can't do things.  For further clarification: opinions are personal beliefs that others are not required to subscribe to.  If you don't like mine, let it go and move on!

Kyle Rodgers

I still don't understand why people want to fly long haul legs if they don't want to spend the time to do them.  The 777 has many shorter routes you can do.

What I don't understand even more is why people don't just use the Pause at T/D feature. If you can't stay there for the entire flight or want to run it overnight, just turn on that feature and leave your computer on.

Implimenting such a feature may cause a bug called "FSX Crashes to desktop after hanging on whitescreen".

I often use FSrecorder to do videos. If you accidently leave a 'tower view' a few hundred/thosand nm away from your location (say if you fly a trans atlantic and leave your FSrecorder tower view on the wrong side of the ocean) when you switch to the old, far away tower view

1: FSX will try to pick up the location of the tower (hundreds of nm away)

2: You will see a very low res featureless terrain for a few seconds

3: a few seconds later, any terrain mesh will "pop" up.

4: your sim will hang

5: you can wait for several minutes for it to 'unfreeze' and slowly start loading scenery objects and textures over more than 5 minutes

6: If you try to change view back to the aircraft... good luck. You will soon be rebooting your system. (or booting your system with your foot, depending).

I'v seen a couple of simulators with the "jump to next waypoint" feature and they all had almost no complex textures or scenery and not a single one of them was an addon for FSX.

One option would be to reload the sim (back to a black loading scenery screen).

However I imagine just teleporting the aircraft isn't 'enough' for anyone wanting this feature. They would also expect 'accurate' fuel usage, a lapse of time, and the FMS to behave as if it's actually flown the distance (with "past waypoints" having 'accurate' fuel/time crossing data and future waypoints similarly so.)

This would actually be quite a bit of stuff to code.

Stuff that would delay release.

Stuff that would delay release and that I wouldn't ever use.

I vote no :P

What I don't understand even more is why people don't just use the Pause at T/D feature. If you can't stay there for the entire flight or want to run it overnight, just turn on that feature and leave your computer on.

Or plan your flight so it arrives when you are still at home and set an alarm for Top of descent minus 20 minutes or whatever it takes to get your STAR/Approach briefed and inserted into the FMS.

The above is an opinion, for those who I know will take that as me telling people they can and can't do things. For further clarification: opinions are personal beliefs that others are not required to subscribe to. If you don't like mine, let it go and move on!

Fine print needs to be finer.

I have a better idea - don't fly long haul if it's that much of an issue!  :lol:

I have a better idea - don't fly long haul if it's that much of an issue!  :lol:

You're starting to sound like me.  Need a snarky signature picture?

Kyle Rodgers

Chapstick, I know exactly what you mean. Aerowinx's Precision Simulator 744 has this function and it's very handy. The 744 is placed at the next active point in the FMC with the fuel level also decreased. Everything is treated as though the leg had been flown in real time. Some of us love the setup of pre-flight, take-off, get to cruise however can't sit there for the next 12hours. It's a great way of completing a long haul where things like fuel use, step climbs etc are needed to be covered correctly.

Use the pause at T/D feature, you can leave the plane alone and come back whenever you feel like it. 

Chapstick, I know exactly what you mean. Aerowinx's Precision Simulator 744 has this function and it's very handy. The 744 is placed at the next active point in the FMC with the fuel level also decreased. Everything is treated as though the leg had been flown in real time. Some of us love the setup of pre-flight, take-off, get to cruise however can't sit there for the next 12hours. It's a great way of completing a long haul where things like fuel use, step climbs etc are needed to be covered correctly.

I'v seen this used for training purposes in the WorldFlight sim http://www.worldflight.com.au but have never seen such a thing in an FSX addon. Probably because FSX will go all kinds of unstable when it is asked to suddenly be 300 miles away in 1 seconds.

For entertainment purposes (rather than some kind of training, even if only for a WorldFlight crew) I should think the time compression, slew, pause at T/D, and Save flight/shut down sim/come back and load flight types of things should be sufficient (and not require huge amounts of new coding to change the fuel load as new waypoints are selected).

I also notice that the Aerowinx PS 744 has a somewhat... less than fully updatable Database with lots of requests for WorldFlight destinations not able to be accomodated because "the airport doesn't exist in the Aerowinx sim".

I am wondering if Navdata AIRAC data is somehow tied to this kind of feature.

Also the Time will be changed as you progress through waypoints in Aerowinx.

To try to make the plane

1: appear at a new location based on Navigation data

2: adjust it's fuel load based on fuel burn

3: adjust zulu time/time of day as if the leg had been flown (and not TARDIS teleported to new location)

causes a lot of changes to FSX itself. 

The 777 isn't a native part of how FSX works, unlike the Aerowinx sim. It's Navdata isn't embedded in FSX etc. 

Possible maybe, But I can see issues that may be an issue. like "You can jump forward 1 waypoint, but if FSX hasn't caught up before you jump forward a second waypoint, FSX will crash".

I can't imagine this being a popular unfixable issue to the technical support guys. Imagine the conversation.

"PMDG 777 always crashes my sim when I jump forward 2 waypoints."

:The only fix is, don't jump forward 2 waypoints

"wwWWAAAAAAA!!!!!!! PMDG 777 doesn't work like I want it to! waaaAAAA!!!!!"

:Call the waaambulance.