Sign in to follow this  

Some FSX default - FTX Global comparisons

In the thread that shows some GEX - FTX Global comparison I noticed the poster hardly uses autogen. And autogen is a HUGE part of FTXG. Besides, not everyone owns GEX (I don't) and I was mainly interested in FSX default versus FTX Global screenshots. I made three comparison screenshots myself, which also shows the much improved autogen. The FSX default shots were taken yesterday, after which I saved the flight, and today I took the FTXG shots. (These are all the comparison shots I will be able to make because I didn't back up the default textures wink.png ).

First conclusion: WOW! Awesome! There are a few things that really stick out:

- better colors (FSX colors are duller)

- far less messy looking towns (FSX town look like a total random mess)

- autogen fits in textures much better (FSX autogen buildings stick out and look randomly placed)

- autogen buildings better sized (FSX buildings look too big)

- great looking and varied trees with more depth, and more too (FSX trees are less varied and completely flat)

- more depth/contrast overall (FSX looks more flat and dull)

I am very happy with the last shot which is from the Netherlands: I didn't expect this yet with FTXG (I though I need OpenLC for that) but even the default textures now show realistic Dutch fields!!! No more southern France or England-like random little fields, but larger rectangle ones! Awesome! Where FSX looks looks like a complete mess and NOTHING like the Netherlands, FTXG makes it look like it should! Great!!!

First: Norway, using freeware Norway landclass and mesh:

9376996522_0174b6caa1_o.jpg

9376996248_eae1dface4_o.jpg

Norway once more:

9374214391_96412e6a69_o.jpg

9374214195_c4fd74b205_o.jpg

The Netherlands!

9374214009_9f42ae54f0_o.jpg

9374213777_04608d1b4f_o.jpg

Looks great, seems like the autogen brings a lot more depth to the scenery with FTX Global than it did with GEX. I usually keep autogen set to normal because I mostly fly high altitude flights with airliners, forgot it that way when taking comparison shots...

Yes, autogen makes a HUGE difference with FTXG! Not only does it offer better and more autogen but it indeed also brings more depth and variation to everything!

These pics are at last warming me to FTXG.   Great shots Jeroen, and far better to see comparisons with FSX default textures, rather than GEX. :smile:

These pics are at last warming me to FTXG.   Great shots Jeroen, and far better to see comparisons with FSX default textures, rather than GEX. :smile:

Well, I am very happy with FTXG! But then I didn't own GEX... but the difference between FSX default and FTXG is worth the money for certain! A no brainer for me! I had very realistic expectations for FTXG (maning not too high), knowing it was 'just textures' and nothing more, but that autogen... it's really so much better and really plays a HUGE role in improving the overall experience!

So make sure that when you look at FTXG pictures, they do show enough autogen! ;)

EDIT

BTW As I said in the OP I use freeware landclass and mesh for Norway: I forgot to add I also use UTX Europe. Other then that I don't use any addons, so no mesh, specific landclass addons and no ENB or SweetFX.

I posted some more shots focusing on the autogen here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414488-ftx-global-autogen/

What about the fps with FTX?

Seems about the same as default. I don't watch the fps counter though. Maybe performance is slightly lower where there are a lot of trees: I have autogen at extremely dense and FTXG seems to show a lot more trees then default does. Considering that, I think FTXG does a fine job on performance. It's certainly not so that FTXG brings performance down.

I'll tag along on this thread instead of creating a new one.

KABQ:

jh23.png

emvl.png

KJAN:

e6e.png

93zw.png

The colors are deeper and a bit more natural and it's more stark in different areas. But the biggest difference I see is the clearness/sharpness of the textures (especially cities, it's like they are a whole different higher resolution even though they aren't), placement of the autogen, and the natural way in which the tiles fit together.

Night environments are just no contest.

I honestly don't know which is which? In each comparison, is the top one Orbx?

Then don't buy it I guess. I have no idea how you can't see the difference between those two.

Especially the second shot.

I want to know too, is the top one Orbx?

Another satisfied FTX global customer, the difference between default and global is worth the big price in my opinion, no fps problems , no ftx regions mixing in with ftx global snags, if there was GEX global already  then maybe the  choice would be a little more harder to make. The problem orbx may have is selling new regions and landclass because global looks good enough without any  more addons to me, infact i probably wont  re-install UTX because im not sure its worth it anymore.

Then don't buy it I guess. I have no idea how you can't see the difference between those two.

Especially the second shot.

First of all, the bottom pics are with FTX Global. Yeah, I guess if you really can't see a difference then there's no reason to buy anything.

In the first comparison I agree the difference is not as massive. I noticed this as well when flying around the southwest. Global is still certainly an improvement, but I can see how it's not a "smack you in your face" change. But I am kind of flabbergasted that you can't see the differences in the second comparison. Look at the forest in the foreground. Much denser, better colors, more realistic tree sprites etc.

LOL If you can't tell which is which, don't buy it indeed: it would be a waste of money for you. ^_^  To me the difference is very obvious and clear and certainly worth the money!