Sign in to follow this  
billn53

FTXG - Going to do a fresh FSX install first... any tips?

Well, my current FSX install has become bloated and has acquired a few 'quirks' that I'd like to get rid of. Before loading FTXG, I think I'll bite the bullet and do a complete re-install of FSX. A fresh start, you might say.

Any pointers on what I need to do to completely uninstall FSX Acceleration?

Also, are there any FSX system files or folders that I should keep as back-up or for reference when I re-install FSX and begin the tedious process of re-loading my favorite add-ons?

You'll need to find something to clean out your registry once everything is uninstalled. Then go through all the folders and delete stuff one by one. Remember that many add ons create a folder of their own in your Program Files also.

I keep all my installers and codes in a giant folder so that reinstallation, whilst a pain, is fairly straightforward.

Once everything is nuked and your registry is cleaned you should be good to go!

This is a doc that I have used to uninstall and install FSX with Acceleration.  I have a great deal of addons and it helps to get everything right.  Nick_N over at simforums has an extremely detailed preparation and installation post that you may want to look at.

Uninstall

1. If you have special panel.cfgs or Aircraft.cfgs back them up first

2. Back-up the Flight plans folder C:/Documents and settings /My Documents/Flight Simulator X files

3. From add-remove programs remove any add-ons that you have. Clean any folders or files that may have been left behind after you uninstall any add-ons.

4. Remove Visual Basic C++ from Add/remove Programs

5. If you have installed the SDK service pack remove it first. Than remove FSX SP1 from add-remove programs.

6. Next Remove FSX itself from Add/Remove Programs or from the FSX Disk 1.

7. Manually delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FSX folder and all its left over contents

Also remove these folders if necessary:

All entries that start with: C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect but do not delete anything else.  You may need permission to do this:

Note:  Win 7 Permissions

You can change the permissions for folders (and subdirectories) by right clicking on the parent folder, choose Properties, go to the Security tab, click Advanced, go to the Owner tab, click Edit, select the new owner and check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and press Apply.

Vista

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Win 7

Scenery.CFG C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Save Logbook.bin & GrantedRewards.bin if you don't want to start over on flight time and mission rewards.

Install

TURN OFF ANY ANTI-virus!!!!!!!

1. Defrag now.
  2. Install FSX clean from the DVD into its default location then activate BUT DO NOT FLY!!!
  3. 3. Reboot
  4. Install Acceleration and activate
  5. Reboot and then run FSX/Acceleration once do not fly yet!!!!!!

·         Back-up Microsoft Flight Simulator\Scenery\World\Texture

Order of Installation:

It is vitally important to ensure that any installer which is stored on an external HD be sent to desktop and executed there.

1. FSGlobal – 3 sets of DVD’s (approx 18 hrs)

·         If reinstalling onto same PC, save complete Scenery.CFG

·         No need to reinstall entire set, scenery can be activated later.

·         FSGlobal entries are [Area.99 to Area105]

1. Scenery Tech NA (Deselect Hard Winter Textures and slope technology)

·         Activate the scenery

1. UTX USA

·         The full retail version available from Flight One is currently 1.2b

·         All updates with UI running select “prepare to upgrade.”

·         Run installer v1.2b

·         Patch to v1.4

·         Patch to v1.5

·         UTX Setup

1. Cloud 9 EU

5.                                 Purchase - Scenery Tech Asia (Deselect Hard Winter Textures and slope     technology)

1. UTX Can

·         Run installer v1.0

·         Patch to v1.2

1. UTX Europe

·         Run installer v1.0

·         Patch to v1.1 (1.1c)

·         Patch to v1.4

UTx Setup

Night Lighting.. main roads OFF, intersection ON

personal preference.. turn off glaciers, railway yards, highway interchanges... allows better autogen placement in my opinion

Then change these items...

WIDTHS

UT OCEAN PIER 3
UT RAIL ENC DRY 14
UT RAIL ENC SEASONAL 14
UT RAIL ENC TROPICAL 14
UT RAIL ENC BRIDGE 14
UT RAIL ENC TRACKS 12
UT ROAD ENC DRY 28
UT ROAD ENC SEASONAL 28
UT ROAD ENC TROPICAL 28
UT ROAD ENC2 DRY 16
UT ROAD ENC2 SEASONAL 16

FLATTENING

UT STREAM LINE DRY -2
UT STREAM LINE WET -2

1. ORBX (FTX) PNW

·         Unzip the FlightSimStore.com (FSS) downloaded ZIP file. You should end up with ten SETUP_PNW.x data files, this PDF user guide, the Google Earth KMZ file and the FSS installer application OrbxFTXNABlue.exe

·         Run installer OrbxFTXNABlue.exe

·         Fill in the Order Number, Date and Key when requested. This information would have been emailed to you when you purchased the download version of FTX PNW from FSS.

·         The wrapper will unwrap the Orbx installer which will then run and present the opening installation screen. Please acknowledge the EULA page and continue. You cannot choose a destination folder, since all Orbx products are installed into the ORBX folder in the FSX folder

·         Once the Orbx installer has completed, you will be prompted to run FTX Central. When you do so, FTX Central runs its PNW file management routines, which can take a little time.

·         When the main FTX Central screen is shown, simply select the [North America] region and click the [Apply] button. You will hear a confirmation 'ding' and you are ready to fly!

7a.   ORBX (FTX) YMML

·         Install v2.0, Once FSX is installed do the following

·         If you do NOT have Orbx FTX installed you can still use this scenery by manually adding the scenery library

·         entry from within Flight Simulator X.

·         Here's the steps required to configure the scenery library.

·         Run Flight Simulator X, then selecting Settings | Scenery Library

·         Click on the Add Area button

·         A folder browser window will pop up.

·         Navigate to the ORBX \ FTX_AU folder

·         Now select the FTXAA_YMML folder and click OK

·         You will then see two folders displayed, Scenery and Texture. Now click OK*

·         *(Note: If you're using Windows 7, click anywhere in the white portion of the folder browser screen that shows

·         the Scenery and Texture folder, not the OK button - there's a bug with FSX under Windows 7)

·         You will now be taken back to the Scenery Library list of scenery added, and the airport will now be displayed at the top of the list.

7b.  Patch FTX-NA Regions

·         Set FTX Central to North America, and APPLY (Important)

·         Run installer PNW.005 patch (if you have installed PNW)

7c.  Download and Install Latest Version of ORBXLibs

1. Ultimate Traffic 2

·         Weekly Traffic 60%

·         Daily Traffic 40%

·         Purchase & Download latest schedule (Currently Late Summer\Fall 2011)

1. REX 2.0

·         Run installer REX2.0_Full B 2.3.2010.1027
Start REX GUI and configure folders:
a) FSX.CFG location C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
b) FSX Folder location, default will detect.
Save settings then backup files;  "Backup/Restoration"  Press "Create" and "Initial Backup" will be saved.

·         Run installer REX_OverDrive_FSX_20101027 B 2.5.2010.1027

Real Environment Xtreme Settings

Sky Theme

Sunrise – authentic

Daytime – absolute

Sunset – saturation

Cloud Theme

3D Clouds – cumulous 06 HD Enabled

Cirrus Clouds – cirrus set 01

Water Theme

Inland Water - deep blue eyes

Ocean Water -  ocean blue

Tropical Water – heavenly beyond

Wave Animation – oh my!

Runways & Taxiways

Asphalt Runways – 11

Asphalt Taxiway – 01

Concrete Runway - 05

Concrete Taxiway - 06

Airport Environment

Taxiway Markings - scuffed

Runway Markings - enhanced

Airport Parking  - parking 2

Surface Refraction – soaked

Sun & Lighting

Sun – realistic

Flare – blaze

Lightning – forked

Landing Lights – xeon intense

Aircraft Strobe – real

Runway Lights – guidance

FSX Weather Settings

Rate at which weather changes – no change

Weather settings – maximum

1. GEX North America

·         Run installer v1.09

·         Update with installer v1.09.5

1. GEX Europe

·         If you are not currently running GEX Europe v2.0, please update your product first by obtaining the full installer. Uninstall the old GEX Europe product and install v2.0 using your key code, then upgrade/patch to v2.10 and install the options from the interface. Leave your backup file alone and simply make sure the path to the the backup in the interface SETTINGS remains the same for all GEX products.

·         If you use Africa and the Middle East, please update the AFME product to v1.10 after installing this patch and run the interface options http://www.simforums.com/forums/gex-africa-middle-east-v110-patch-released_topic40330.html

·         It does not matter which order of product the patches are installed, only that both products (AFME and EU) are updated at the same time before running FSX.

1. GEX Africa & Middle East (All updates)

·         If you use GEX Europe, be sure to update GEX Europe to v2.10 after installing this patch http://www.simforums.com/forums/gex-europe-v210-patch-released_topic40329.html

·         It does not matter which order of product the patches are installed, only that both products (AFME and EU) are updated at the same time before running FSX.

·         GEX North America must be version 1.09 (or above) to install GEX Africa and the Middle East or any patches for this product.

·         Always make sure the interface options are run from GEX Africa and the Middle East, OR, the new GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics with the North America upgrade after installing any GEX North America interface options are run so the GEX North America and UTX products are correctly upgraded.

·         There is no region switching required when GEX Africa and the Middle East OR the new GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics release (North Amercia upgrade version) is installed along side GEX North America and Europe.

13.   GEX Atlantic & Pacific Tropics

·         Your GEX NA product version must be v1.09 or above. 

·         GEX EU version must be v2.1 or above.

·         GEX AFME version must be 1.10 or above

·         Please make sure all of your other GEX regions are correctly updated before installing this product. In each regional GEX interface click the UPDATES button and follow the directions.

14.   Active Sky Evolution – installation

·         ASA Full B316

·         ASA SP1A B435

·         ASE Upgrade B566

·         ASE SP3 B647 (or the latest SP)

·         All SP’s are cumulative.

15.   Shade

16.   HOTAS Cougar

·         Run 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC_1.exe

·         Plug HOTAS Cougar in when prompted

·         Run HOTAS Cougar Update

·         Disconnect Throttle and Flash stick

·         Calibrate HOTAS Cougar using CP  

17.   Addon Aircraft (Order of Installation)

·         PMDG 747X  v2.10.0040  2008 05 27

·         CS757X  v4.6  2009 12 02

·         PMDG MD11 

o   Install PMDG_MD11_FSX_Setup.exe (v1.00.003) then update with SP2 (v1.20.0055)  2009 03 28

·         CS767 v1.4

·         PMDG JS41

o   Install PMDG_BAe JS4100.exe (v1.00.0970) 2009 09 04

o   Run FSX and activate JS41

o   Install SP1 (v1.10.1016)

·         PMDG 747-8i/F

o   Install PMDG747-400X-8i Expansion Pack.exe

o   Install PMDG747-8i Sp1 v2.10.0041.exe

·         CS707

·         Aerosoft Airbus X

o   Install AS_AIRBUS-X_V121.exe

o   Install AS_AIRBUS-X_UPD_V122.exe

·         PMDG NGX

o   Do not convert installer to Vista Sp2 compaability, right click and “run as administrator”.

o   Install Base Package (v1.00.2888)

o   The SP1 patch that is freely available from our website is designed to update all previously released versions that users might have installed on their machines. The SP1 patch is able to identify which version you have installed, and will automatically update it to the latest version of v1.00.3057. 

This being the case, you can simply download the SP1 patch, then and run the SP1 patch. You now have the full v1.00.3057 installed.

Now that you have SP1 installed, there are a few things we want you to do:

1) Redownload any liveries that you wish to have installed, and re-install them. We changed some things about liveries that made this necessary... The old liveries may work fine- but why use outdated stuff?

2) Go into your <root FSX Folder>/PMDG/PMDG 737 NGX/PanelState folder and delete everything you find here EXCEPT:

o   NGX CLDDRK.fmc

o   NGX CLDDRK.sav

o   NGX DEFAULT.fmc

o   NGX DEFAULT.sav

o   NGX LONG.fmc

o   NGX LONG.sav

o   NGX SHORT.fmc

o   NGX SHORT.sav

o   You are now fully up to date with SP1

\Robert Hamlich/

Perfect! Now all I need is a long weekend without any honey-do's ;-)

Many thanks for the detailed info, and thanks also Mike for the PMDG link.

No problem, if you follow Nick's thread it could take you a better part of a month but it is well worth it.

Good luck with the reinstall.

\Robert Hamlich/

Nice to see I am not the only one who likes to document install procedures. ^_^ You might have left GEX out in the topic. B)

BTW I noticed you are some updates behind here and there! FTX Europe is at 1.5 for instance. REX 2.0 is old too. And you tell yourself not to fly yet after installing FSX and Acceleration but I wonder when you allow yourself to do so...?

Anyway, I also have various docs like this, for Windows 7 and for all my music software. My install of FSX is pretty simple so I don't have one doc for it but most of my folders that have the various downloaded addons in them also have a txt file with appropriate instructions: little things that come in handy during or after installation and that you tend to forget after some time.

No problem, if you follow Nick's thread it could take you a better part of a month but it is well worth it.

Well, I disagree... a lot of what he tells you to do is quite useless because it doesn't result in actual noticable or measurable improvements or is way over the top (or even nonsense). I would only follow his new guide if you are out of a job and have really nothing better to do. ^_^  I would rather adivce Word Not Allowed's guide which is a lot shorter, very to the point and only contains things that might work (might, because it's all very system dependant). But let's not start yet another discussion about NickN or people might think once again I have a grudge against him. ^_^

Thought it  would be  quicker  by just doing  a complete o/s re install :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thought it would be quicker by just doing a complete o/s re install :P

That too much work. If a person has to tweak fsx it reminds me of trying to find looppoles to get fat tax return. Probadly small minority of us simmers never buy Obrx product as I see a product reqiures too much micromanging and its limations placed on the users and reading between the lines its not pretty

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.